Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Does anyone know of an HDMI panel mount plug that accepts a full size HDMI cable, but plugs into a Micro HDMI like on the Pi4? I've looked and can't find anything, so I think I'm going to have to go with a regular HDMI panel mount port with an adapter cable to plug into the Pi, but thought I'd check as I seem to often miss the weird components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah Pi4 says 3A at 5V. Me I hardwired a 5V power supply into the hat.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I need some mounting help with my rpi. I'm building something inside this "aluminum case" (in scare quotes because it's just a fiberboard). Though either way, I don't want to drill from outside the case into the inside to install anything, because that would disrupt the look.

What I'm thinking is get a small piece of thin plywood and drill into that and install some threaded risers, glue that sucker to the inside of the case, and use the risers to attach the pi too. I've also got access to a 3d printer, and I've found at least one Pi mounting bracket that I could print and glue into the case, then screw into the plate directly.

I'd like to be able to take the pi out of this device if needed so I don't just want to glue the thing to the case directly, but it's not something that I'm going to be taking in and out repeatedly.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Hey, question about powering my Raspberry Pi. I'm building a project and the whole thing is powered by a big 5V 5A AC-DC Adapter. It's a pretty basic one I picked up on Amazon, so I wouldn't trust it to always perfectly output exactly 5V. I know I can put 5V directly onto one of the 5V pins on the Pi to power it, and that's worked well enough for me as I'm testing and building this out. I'm driving a display over I2C and a neopixel ring light, which all require the data to be 5V. I've got a level shifter that converts the 3.3V signals from the GPIO pins to the 5V the peripherals require, and it gets set to 5V by an input voltage.

It looks like if the Pi is powered via USB, the 5V is filtered so it's reliably 5V, but if I'm dumping 5V directly onto the rail it's reliant on my adapter to properly filter that voltage. So I'm wondering if I should be looking at some way to provide power over the USB port directly. I'm a little bit concerned about a voltage spike damaging the pi, but more concerned about having a reliable 5V signal to drive the peripherals. And in that case, does anyone know of a way to basically get a cable or adapter with a USB-C connector on one end, and a way to wire directly to my 5v adapter on the other end?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Klyith posted:

Is the transformer a modern switchmode one, or some big heavy transformer brick? Modern switching supplies have consistent output volts that don't vary or spike just because you're not using all the amps. I wouldn't worry too much about the power being bad enough to hurt anything even if it's a fairly cheap supply.

It's this which says it has circuitry onboard to output a stable voltage.

Yeah this would be what I was thinking of. Knowing something that simple exists, it's really the same amount of work to put a wire from my adapter to the Pi, vs a wire from my adapter to that, and just plug it into the USB port.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've spent the last nearly 3 years reproducing this which takes advantage of the Pi being a general-purpose computer and its GPIO pins that can be controlled via a purpose-built Python library. I'm not sure what, if any, substitutes there are that thread that needle without costing an arm and a leg.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

tuyop posted:

I googled a bit and watched your awesome slideshow but what does this do?

I'm not martinwoodward, I'm just replicating that build after I saw him show it off 3 years ago. The entire thing has almost no point, which is itself kind of the point. It uses a REST API to trigger a software deployment in Azure DevOps, with a lot of flash and style around that. Instead of just clicking a button a web UI, you can pull out this fancy box with lights and buttons, and flip the toggles and push the button to trigger the deployment, with lots of exciting flashing going on.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have a Raspbian OS question!

I built a device using a Rpi that usually runs "headless" (it's interacted with via buttons connected over GPIO). I have Raspbian installed with the full desktop, because it's what I did when I first set it up, and it's potentially useful if I need to go through a web interface to connect to Wifi or something.

Speaking of Wifi, right now it's just using the basic network manager applet (not full-on "Network Manager") and I've noticed that I'm sometimes having trouble when moving between different wifi networks (like my home network and the network at work). Usually it seems like it will only connect to the most recently connected network, though sometimes it will be a little smarter. For example just now I powered it up, after having previously used it at my office, and it connected to my home wifi. But the previous two times I moved between locations it didn't automatically connect, and I had to connect a mouse and keyboard and monitor and manually connect to the network. If I installed Network Manager would it be smarter about reconnecting to known wifi networks? Is there some way to disable the GUI applet and go to manually editing the wpa_supplicant file by hand? Any other things I should be looking at to improve wifi connectivity?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I happened to be at my local Microcenter a couple of days ago, and was pleasantly surprised to see they had a good selection of 5s and 4s and even one type of 3 in stock ready to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I love the GPIO and and I loved loading up nearly all the pins for my DasDeployer build. It seems like there's really no easy way to get that kind of experience in any other way.

Though fun fact, I just got a new job at a SaaS company that deals with text messaging. Most of it is done through services like Twillio, but for locations where for whatever reason there isn't a service for their area, we send them these little boxes called SMSEagle which it turns out is just a raspberry pi zero mounted to a custom PCB to connect to an antenna.

Also if I became moderately rich enough to have a house with the space, I'd absolutely build a replica of a Cray computer just as furniture.