Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I acquired a pi 3B by way of a friend being handed it for free, and then him giving it to me. Seriously does anyone ever buy pis or do they just materialize?

I took it because I actually have a use for the thing. I have some ok bookshelf speakers and mini receiver that I pretty much never use these because they used to attach to a CD player and who uses physical media these days. If I want to play anything I have to plug my laptop or phone into them and it's not very convenient. So I'll use the pi as a music source. I want it to do two things:

Function 1: a music player that can play from local or SMB shared music, with a good remote interface. this seems to be covered well enough by pi musicbox. it looks to be actively developed, is that the best choice?
Function 2: stream audio over bluetooth. there's various instructions for this around, will that be fine layered on top of #1?

Question: While initially looking around, I see lots of talk about the audio output from a pi being garbo and people having additional soundcard devices. My mini receiver doesn't have a hdmi input, but does have optical & digital coax as well as analog. Should I get a sound card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

eddiewalker posted:

I like Volumio a lot better and the interface/setup is really slick.

Cool, I'll start with that one.

also a quick search got me instructions for doing the bluetooth receiver thing on volumio so that takes care of job #2!

ante posted:

There are lots of optical audio hats for Pis, I guess I'd recommend trying them, they're cheap

ok, you've convinced me to order the cheapest thing on amazon since I was buying a sd card and power supply anyways. apparently this is a cheap chinese clone of the more respectable pi accessories, but if it's pure digital out the provenance shouldn't matter.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 3, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Put together my pi, got volumio working (which is good and easy, props for that recommendation)

At first I thought the SD card I got was bad or something, because both etcher and W32DiskImage were having write failures, or finishing a write but failing verify. Tried booting the pi with it anyways and no go. Then I was just trying to format the whole thing in exfat and that also failed out. I though I'd gotten a counterfeit card! Turns out my cheapo craptop has a lovely card reader, either it's broken or can't do SDXC. On my housemate's much older laptop it worked fine, first try.

After that everything was slick as spit. Digital audio out hat works perfectly.
Up next: make my own tiny case to hold the pi and cut the LED light pollution.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mewse posted:

What audio hat did you end up buying? Amazon link you previously posted is broken

Oh, fixed.

It's a clone of the hifiberry digi, and though the product page on amazon says it doesn't support volumio system that's wrong. Probably that was volumio v1 or something. (I did check on the volumio forums before buying and found that other people were using these PiFi clones just fine.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 2, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Klyith posted:

Oh, fixed.

It's a clone of the hifiberry digi, and though the product page on amazon says it doesn't support volumio system that's wrong. Probably that was volumio v1 or something. (I did check on the volumio forums before buying and found that other people were using these PiFi clones just fine.)

So one thing to know about these cheap digital-out cards is that they don't have hardware volume control. At least it doesn't in volumio -- I'm having a hard time understanding if the card can't do it at all, or if the function just isn't implemented. So if the thing you're feeding doesn't have its own independent volume, you will have to go with the software volume mixer which at the moment is one of the more buggy parts of volumio.

In the course of testing this stuff my volumio install stopped working, becoming unable to play music or see the local library. Had to do the "factory reset" option in volumio's settings to un-wedge it. Linux audio: still hosed up in 2019. But it works now, and I did briefly try the analog out on the Pi itself which is just as bad as everyone said. Zero interference protection.

For me the lack of volume control isn't a big deal, my receiver has volume and a remote. I will generally play whole albums so don't need frequent fiddling with volume. But for other people this could be a pretty annoying problem.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Inept posted:

I've been wondering, does the Pi foundation have an upgrade path now for the Pi 4 and beyond? I seem to remember people saying they're mated at the hip to Broadcom's poo poo, and Broadcom doesn't seem to care to make anything better any time soon. Is the Pi just going to languish on Videocore 4 and USB 2 forever, or will they actually change vendors?

They just recently talked about the pi 4. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-everything-we-know,38539.html

It'll probably still be made by broadcom, but it's not like broadcom doesn't make better chips. The bad news is not until 2020.

OTOH it's not gonna have a new mobile-phone quality video GPU, since broadcom is out of that market and that isn't in line with the pi foundation education goal anyways. They're not there to make hardware for cheap game emulators. (And for people that do want an emulator or media device, there are now much better products available. Particularly with the Pi 4 being more than a year away.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Queen Combat posted:

Nah, this is a DNS redirect not something that interacts with page data.

DNS redirect can easily replace images, just redirect the request to a server that sends back lewdanime.jpg for everything.

pi-hole is just a mediocre ad blocker. Other similar projects use pixelserv-tls to block https ad images. I guess the pi-hole devs are making a turnkey solution for the lowest-common-denominator audience. Possibly they don't want to instruct all their users to install a root certificate that would be dangerous if pis get owned.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hadlock posted:

It's waaay too late to think hard about this but I wonder if this works at all for modern SSL.

I noticed all his examples use unencrypted old-school http, not https.

It does not. You can block the requests from going anywhere, but to make the browser load anything you need a certificate for the site. That means you either need a copy of for example ebay.co.uk's private cert key (unlikely), or you need the user to override the untrusted warning on their browser, or to install a root certificate to their browser/pc.

Installing a root cert is what Diversion does, using the tiny pixelserv-tls webserver to send a 1-pixel image back to all ad requests. It speeds up page loads a ton on https sites because the browser isn't just sending blackholed requests over and over. However, installing a root cert is dangerous -- it can be used to MITM all your traffic if anyone got their hands on the private key.

Apparently you can add pixelserv-tls to a pi-hole if you're capable of configuring some minor things over SSH. I use Diversion myself and the difference in page load speed on my phone between blackholing requests and installing the cert for pixelserv was pretty night and day.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fuzz1111 posted:

Hang on a second, I could be wrong but in my observation replying with a 1 pixel image is not much different to not doing so, as long as pi-hole host replies to ad requests with a TCP reset, which can be accomplished with iptables rules like so:
code:
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -s x.x.x.0/24 --dport 80 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -s x.x.x.0/24 --dport 443 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
The reason I did it this way (and why there's the -s x.x.x.0 qualifiers which should be changed to specify subnet of your LAN) is because the same device also serves up http and https traffic to external connections. I could have had lighttpd host the 1 pixel image server on an unused port, and used iptables to redirect
local port 80 traffic to that port, but when I compared browser performance I saw no meaningful difference to just doing a TCP reset.

I do know that other types of responses (eg: just ignoring the packets entirely) definitely can slow things down because the browser keeps retrying connection, but TCP reset seemed to prevent that behaviour.

I'm not a networks person so I couldn't tell you why they did it like that. It does sound a lot safer & easier than having to install a root cert, so I would suppose there's some cases where there's a downside to it? Maybe some ads served by javascript might start looping requests when they got a connection reset. (that is a guess completely pulled out of my rear end)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
For a PiHole you could use any Pi that works with your network, including a Zero W if wifi is ok. DNS responses are not difficult.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Soldering poo poo directly to a modern computer PCB is a really bad way to learn as a newbie, and doubly so if you don't have a temperature controlled soldering iron. If you are using $10 generic radio shack crap it's important to know that it can be hot enough to gently caress up the board if you leave it in contact for too long. And if you don't have practice it will take too long.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ItBreathes posted:

I've decided to bust out my old Pi to use as a distraction free computer to use for job hunting, but it turns out its a B+ and not a 2B like I thought it was, and the internet is all but unusable on it. Not being able to stream video is a plus here, but at over a minute per page load my concentration isn't going to hold out. My local Microcenter only has A+ and 4s in stock (and, allegedly 2 3Bs, not 3B+s, but everythings behind the counter now so I'm not optimistic they're actually available).

Rather than getting a Pi as a distraction free PC, make a new user account on your PC that's a limited user and block access to all the distracting programs?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stan Taylor posted:

Thinking about using my old 3 that’s not doing anything as one of those network wide ad destroyer things. Do they mess up video/music streaming or games or hue lights? I don’t want to have to troubleshoot every little thing I use my internet for.

They don't mess up video or music streams, but also don't block the video ads on youtube for example. Domain-based ad blocking is really limited compared to what ublock can do, anything that serves ads from the same location as the actual content gets though.

Shouldn't affect hue lights or games. The "standard" lists are pretty conservative about only blocking domains that are pure ad servers.

I've found is mostly just nice as a supplement, or for chrome on my phone that can't run ublock.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The Orange Pi 4 has a Cortex-A72 RK3399

But all the reports about orange pis are their OS versions are buggy trash so getting your android environment working there might be just as much hassle as your other options.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mewse posted:

And on this totally anecdotal experience I believe the pi foundation is better off with their own sd card writer.

Yeah when I set up my Pi the SD reader slot on my craptop kept failing to write the 64gb card I got, I feel like the slots on most laptops are real 5-cent afterthought jobs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

eddiewalker posted:

If you want something even easier, Volumio is great. It creates a hotspot on first boot for GUI setup, then has Airplay, Spotify, etc very well optimized.

Co-signed, I like volumio a lot overall. Mildly annoyed by their recent trend towards a more commercial offering with a subscription service / pushing tidal (lol). It's not obnoxious, but new features are starting to get put behind the subscription. But hey, people gotta eat.

Also I don't like the new v3 UI, but that's because I have an old phone with a 720p screen.

The one caution I'd have with Volumio: it has zero security, so it is unsuitable for anything but your own private home network. You can change the ssh password, but that breaks plugins. And it's impossible to permanently disable ssh (the on/off switch is on an unprotected webpage).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

another cool thing this thread has introduced me to today! how well does it handle classical music tags?

Not great. Library organization is basic, the standard browser only presents things by artist/album/genre or folder structure. And I just tried to search for something I have with composer & performer tags, no dice.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you really want to have the drive be easily portable between windows PCs and the Pi I'd use exFAT. Kodi should be able to do that out of the box, though the whole first page of google is people having problems with it (apparently it broke on specific hardware).

Alternately, format it in ext4 and turn on Windows Subsystem for Linux

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Bag of Milk posted:

Thanks for the replies. I'm kind of a dummy so ftp/ext4/ntfs all seem to have their pros and cons. Another option would be to read files directly from the windows pc, is that generally ok? The pc and raspberry pi would be connected to the same router, both with ethernet cables. If kodi on raspberry pi just "streams" from the pc, is that functional and stable enough to be a primary option?

That will work totally fine in terms of bandwidth for video. Seeking can be a bit slower over a network share, but if your router has gigabit ethernet even that should be minimal.

The question is more about Kodi then, how does handle network shares in its library. (Does it have to re-index when the PC with the share is turned off?)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mobby_6kl posted:

One thing I never tried is printing directly from a phone. Can Android use a network printer nowadays, or is the Cloud printing poo poo the only way to make that work? That would require running X and Chrome, right? That could be an issue on the Zero.

If there's a manufacturer app that supports the printer, yes you can avoid cloud print. I've used this one for example to print directly to a networked brother printer. But whether those apps will support a non-networked printer that you've connected with a Pi is a good question.

But also, you totally don't need to run X and chrome to use cloud print on a pi. This is linux, people write real software to do that type of thing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
You don't need to use OBS or anything else with heavy UI, you can push a video stream directly to youtube RTMP.

Here's an example of a tool that does this type of thing: https://datarhei.github.io/restreamer/docs/guides-youtube.html

But you're in mega-nerd territory with this stuff.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CarForumPoster posted:

Am I the only one who thinks its absurd to seriously consider an RPi for streaming to YouTube?

Nah a Pi is perfect for these types of low-impact, not-mission-critical jobs. Running an automated 24/7 music stream is an tiny embedded computer job. If it were mission-critical you'd want something better than a pi -- something that boots from more reliable storage than a SD card -- but you'd still want linux. Anything running win10 is a bad choice for embedded computer jobs.

CarForumPoster posted:

They're terrible at being intermittent use PCs for non-IT/CS people. They're not particularly reliable and they don't run Win10.

Any PC is terrible for non-IT/CS people if some IT/CS person hasn't written the software to make it do what you want. I don't think OBS on Win10 is the right tool for the job, it can do the job in the same way that a backhoe and a shovel do the same jobs. A backhoe can dig holes much easier than a shovel, but it requires you to buy and upkeep a backhoe.

The problem is that what clockworkjoe wants to do is not sufficiently popular that someone's written a ready to go package that takes a music library and a looping anime video to make your own instant 24/7 lofi youtube stream. A Pi is 100% capable of doing the thing, but the instructions for how to do is is "learn some scripting and how to pipe various linux audio/video utilities together, all on the command line".

So here is what I'm pretty sure would work: use sox with a directory of music files, decode, crossfade from one track to the next nicely, with infinite repeat, output to stdout. Pipe that into ffmpeg, with ffmpeg also pointed at your looping anime gif as the video source, set to mux the two and output to youtube rtmp.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

clockworkjoe posted:

Wow, icecast still exists? Huh, I could do that. Would be a fun starter project I guess.

edit: I found this tutorial https://maker.pro/raspberry-pi/projects/how-to-build-an-internet-radio-station-with-raspberry-pi-darkice-and-icecast

Would I need the sound card and microphone if I have a pi 4?

You only need the soundcard if you want a mic to talk live on your internet radio stream, or plug speakers into the Pi to listen.

Otherwise you can use ezstream or liquidsoap to send music files directly to the icecast stream without hitting the soundcard. Simple ezstream tutorial, more challenging liquidsoap tutorial.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Inept posted:

Is it overheating the board?

if you're using video out of a Pi 4, overheating is easy to diagnose because it puts a thermometer icon on the screen

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AlternateAccount posted:

Would pay real money to have the guys from The Secret Life of Machines do a series about computer stuff.

Tim Hunkin definitely still uses a ZX Spectrum

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I bought a $5 BT adapter once that claimed it supported aptX and not only did it lie about that but it only supported mono audio. I wouldn't be surprised if some super-budget adapter has a terrible SBC encoder in it that only uses 128kbps or is just bad quality in general. If I was going to be hooking up a Pi to audio equipment I'd want to stay wired rather than buying a BT adapter the price of a Pi. (but not using the pi's hilariously bad DAC)

If your bad BT adapter was for the PC, it was probably the software / drivers being crap. BT on PC sucked for a good long time, but MS has actually made great strides in win10 to improve things. The standard windows BT stack supports normal aptX in stereo.

And while aptX sucks as a audio codec in comparison to anything modern, BT gets around it by throwing 3-400 kbps at the problem. That's enough bits to be transparent CD quality for it.

(All of this has nothing to do with the Pi. I tried fiddling around with my Pi to make it into a BT audio receiver and couldn't get anything to work, but I think BT output is much easier.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
An easy power switch almost seems like an anti-feature for a Pi, when dirty shutdowns are a risk for SD card corruption.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SlowBloke posted:

At least on my raspi, if the hdmi cable is connected the audio will get streamed there, DVI is video only but there are plenty of adapters that will take hdmi audio+video and provide dvi video + 3,5mm jack audio. I think that will be easier than mucking aroung with the raspi settings.

That's silly, the sound output is under software / OS control.

If you're using retropie, here are instructions.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wolrah posted:

Raspberry Pi SD cards and many Linux installers or bootable USB images start with a FAT32 partition that ranges from a few dozen to a few hundred megabytes, then usually fill the rest of the space with Linux partitions. If you insert one of these in to a Windows computer, it will insist that the drive is only as large as that partition and will not allow you to do anything about it.

Windows' Disk Management control panel will at least show you the layout, but still won't let you do anything about it.

The SDcard eraser utility will wipe the card no matter how it is partitioned, so that can't be the problem in Cheesus's case.

Another thing is the card reader in some laptops may just be junk: the SD card that I got for my Pi failed multiple attempts to write images and plain format the card using my lovely but modern laptop. Using a different, much older laptop it worked fine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
https://wiki.libreelec.tv/ which runs https://kodi.tv/

For the remote you either need to buy some add-on board for the pi with IR receiver and do some linuxing (but not programing), or you can just use a smartphone. They have an app.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Speaking of Pi and media, after a year with Volumio I'm not so in love with it anymore. They added bluetooth streaming input, which I really want but could never get working myself using various out-of-date instructions... But it's locked behind their "Volumio Virtuoso" subscription. A one-time fee to support devs I could get behind, but I'm not paying a subscription to a loving audio player. And their UI has become infested with junk like Tidal that I don't have and don't want.

They've always called themselves "the audiophile music player" and now I get it: they're pushing subscription services and audiophiles are marks who spend money on bullshit.

Anyways I'm gonna jump ship to moode and see how I like it. Just gotta borrow a laptop that can write the SD card image, which my lovely craptop fails at.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Guitarchitect posted:

the other route i could go is to use the SSD out of my basement HTPC and put the NVME into it but I'd have to adapt the NVME drive to that motherboard (SATA of some kind)...

To quickly eliminate one of your choices, you can plug a NVMe drive into a standard PCIe slot with a cheap $10 adapter card, but if the mobo doesn't have m.2 slots it almost certainly can't boot from the NVMe drive. And there's no such thing as a NVMe to sata adapter.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Yeah, I don't run a pihole but I use a similar dns adblocking on my router, and it's best as a supplement for when you're browsing on your phone or whatever that you don't have ublock. You want to configure it with one of the medium-strength lists or lighter, which means some ads still get through but you rarely deal with anti-adblock countermeasures.

(Also increasingly DNS blocking just isn't a good adblocking solution in general. Browsers implementing internal DNS-over-HTTPS resolvers makes intercepting DNS queries increasingly difficult -- right now in chrome for android you have to disable DOH entirely to use a pihole. On any device like a phone that's not used strictly inside your own network, this is lowering your security for adblocking. Honestly I don't think it's worth going out and acquiring a pi just for pihole anymore.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mod sassinator posted:

i don't think the pi has accelerated h265 playback.

The Pi 4 has HEVC acceleration that can do 4k60. The weirdness is that is can only do h264 in 1080p, because the decode hardware for older formats is unchanged from the 3 and before.

I would go for a dedicated video-streaming distro to do the job of being a video player. Supposedly rasperian + VLC has support for it if you're fully updated, but if you go with Kodi or libreelec they definitely have it in their base image and maintain their own ffmpeg patches for the Pi.

(Also VLC is just, uh, not impressing me these days. Maybe it's better on linux.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pilchenstein posted:

The two other things I use the pi for are streaming games from steam on my PC and very occasionally using a browser - can I do those on a dedicated distro?

Um, looks like the answer is "it depends". LibreElec evidently doesn't have a package manager and is super-focused on just doing the media thing, so adding new software isn't easy. So probably not that one. OSMC has steamlink support but OSMC is still only Pi 3 and below.

Kodi is an app though, not a complete distro, so potentially using that will get you better results than VLC.

Poking around it looks like the best answer with pi 4 is to stick with raspberian, but maybe if you're still having trouble upgrading just reflash your sd card with the most recent release image. (Also lol as soon as you start searching for steam link stuff you get people wanting to run kodi or whatnot on an actual Steam Link hardware. Valve selling those things for a nickel )

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

JHomer722 posted:

Has anyone used a HiFiBerry? I've read mixed reviews but it seems like a cool way to adapt the Pi for audio centric use cases.

I've got one of the cheap chinese clones of the Hifiberry Digi (labeled "PiFi Digi"), that one is digital spdif or optical out if you're connecting it to a home audio system. Works fine. But those seem to have dried up on amazon and now I only see them on aliexpress.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Coxswain Balls posted:

From what I gather I'm gonna need something like this to get decent audio out capability, since the base 3.5mm jack is garbage and a digital connection means my receiver can handle all the DAC stuff. I'm looking at stuff like Volumio, moOde, Pi MusicBox and balenaSound

Since you want Bluetooth in to the Pi, volumio is something of a non-starter. It has that functionality, but it's locked behind subscribing to their service. I moved away from volumio because it was getting pushy about that stuff.

Moode can do it for free though, out of the box. That's what I'm using now, with a near-identical one of those chinesium Hifiberry Digi clone hats. One issue is that their standard distro does not use aptx audio, because it's a non-free patented codec. The generic bluetooth SBC codec can sound fine if both devices agree on a high bitrate, but that's not guaranteed. You can fix that by recompiling the bluetooth component.

As for combining that with pihole, it would be much easier to start with one of the audio pi images and add pihole to that rather than the other way around. Pihole is comparatively simple to install.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Dear god. I've been trying to finish the last step of my pihole but I can't because my Arris AC3200P router seemingly has no place where I can change LAN DNS settings. I don't think it has a panel to change that inexplicability.

I've been googling and googling and spent like four hours now and I still have no idea.

Any ideas?

From the PDF manual it looks like a very limited configuration router that can't manually set DNS options.

So your options are to get a better router, or manually point your devices at the pi-hole (easy for PCs, difficult for phones etc).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The HomeNet thread doesn't seem to like Asus routers very much (and I agree that asus routers are hella overpriced for their hardware value), but for people that do things like Pi networking stuff I wanna plug them for asuswrt-merlin. It provides a straightforward and relatively user-friendly way to get all linuxed up in your router. And since it's just modification of the standard asus firmware, it's more stable & less risky than tomato or whatever dd-wrt is these days.

My router runs a pi-hole like adblocker and an IRC portal for other internet chat services. And could be doing a whole bunch of other bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Buy a rasperry pi so you can put it in a drawer for months and then give it away to someone else just to get rid of it, who will then put it in a drawer for months, until they finally run into someone who will do something useful with it.

That's how I got my pi!