Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

PBCrunch posted:

So is this the reason behind the absolutely piss-poor availability of the Pi Zero? Almost three months after launch they are still almost impossible to find.

They sold them all, then up until middle of January were making new Zeros and then switched to making rpi3s.

evol262 posted:

They don't need to compile anything. They just need to update their repos to point at 64 bit (it's all already built) and rebuild the image. virt-install can probably do this in 25 minutes.
As there is no official 64bit kernel they only need to update firmware and drivers.

37th Chamber posted:

Okay dumb question.... where are the antennas? There isn't even the cheaper on-pcb one, so I assume we'll have to buy a header/antenna/something to make that wifi/BT actually usable?

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Fat Turkey posted:

Secondly, is the MPEG licence a must buy for any standard video streaming from my PC? I got Kodi working but was getting sound no image, and no amount of hardware accelration fiddling was fixing it.

Check your gpu/cpu ram split kodi needs (i think) gpu at 128 gb or more

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Is there any workaround for the windows 10 telemetry

http://winaero.com/blog/stop-windows-10-spying-on-you-using-just-windows-firewall/

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
The sad thing about the 4 is that it still does not have the crypto extensions. So no accelerated Syncthing.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

eames posted:

thanks, ordered one of these!

Played with the new rPi a bit and the performance is good as expected, easily saturates gigabit without encryption, syncthing over LAN to an encrypted USB 3 drive is ~400 Mbit, SMB ~650 Mbit. Pretty decent considering it has to do everything in software.

What is the Syncthing hashrate reported in syncthing.log? It's the lines:
Single thread SHA256 performance is ... using minio/sha256-simd (... using crypto/sha256).
Hashing performance is ...

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

eames posted:

stock:
INFO: syncthing v1.1.4 "Erbium Earthworm" (go1.12.5 linux-arm) deb@build.syncthing.net 2019-05-12 19:17:55 UTC
INFO: Single thread SHA256 performance is 45 MB/s using minio/sha256-simd (45 MB/s using crypto/sha256).
INFO: Hashing performance is 40.87 MB/s

1750 MHz:
INFO: Single thread SHA256 performance is 52 MB/s using crypto/sha256 (52 MB/s using minio/sha256-simd).
INFO: Hashing performance is 48.12 MB/s

That's about Intel atom/AMD Kabini level. 4 times faster than Raspberry pi 2. And ten times slower than Rock64 with crypto extensions.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

TVs Ian posted:

I forget the command, I think you basically have to edit the boot config on a MicroSD card, then once you boot it stays so you can remove the card and plug in the USB. I'm positive the 3B+ is preset that way.

Some raspberrys can boot even without sd card (rpi4 is getting support some time later, brobably next year) but you can follow this: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44177 (works for all raspberrys)

That way you can use smallest/cheapest sd card (for example 1gb) to boot. And the only time writes to it happen is kernel updates.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

TheFluff posted:

There are some other A72 options as well, like the ROCKPro64, but it's still a fairly old microarch. It's at least not that expensive though and it's more appealing than an ARMv7 option.

e2: actually the regular raspberry pi 4 model b has A72 cores on it as well, duh :doh:

Odroid N2 has A73.
ROCKPro64 has A72 with Crypto extensions. Rapsberry pi 4 doesn't have those.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

GeneralZod posted:

Is there a list anywhere of external 2.5 inch USB hard drives that can definitely be used, unpowered, with later-model Raspberry Pis (e.g. 3B+; 4)? It's weirdly hard to find a definite answer to whether a given model will work - all I ever see is guesswork and speculation.

At least on pi4 (if you are using the official or comparable powerbrick) all of them.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

Question: What's the next step up from a raspberry pi that is more powerful and can use a 2.5" ssd? A NUC? Most NUCs are a bit of a big jump in price from a pi.

At this point Raspberry 4 is among the fastest ones (CPU side) in the below 100$. RockPro64 might be faster and has crypto extensions enabled. All other ARM based ones are slower or much more expensive.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 9, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

Alternately, format it in ext4 and turn on Windows Subsystem for Linux

WSL does not add the ability to read ext4.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

What would be the benefit of 64 bit for the typical use cases for a pi? It'd be great to have it but I'm not surprised it's not a priority for them.

Unlike your standard intel and amd processors where 64bit was mainly for more memory, on ARM 64bit brought new instructions and improved performance.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2020/fastest-usb-storage-options-raspberry-pi

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

mdxi posted:

A most confusing statement. Was this a partitioning error? If so, you can just redo the partitioning; nothing is permanent about that.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Some Goon posted:

... You can learn to install Linux on anything ...
Main thing about Raspberry pi for learning stuff. And I think probably the most important one. Is that the basics like sound, network and video output work out of the box.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Some Goon posted:

...does on anything else too. This ain't the early 00s anymore.

This year i finally found a distro with working brightness controll on my netbook. It wasn't working (properly) last year.
This year i also tried running linux on my laptop and while sound and network works, scrolling in Firefix or Chrome is choppy and stuttery.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 3, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Hadlock posted:

So apparently starting with the pi.... 2? 3? Probably 3 it's possible to boot the pi from USB

How does this impact the pre-4 pi as a functional file server? I believe most of the bottleneck lies with the network sitting on the usb bus, but I think the sd card had some negative consequences as well
SD card is was not a bottleneck for performance. But many writes to the wrong SD cards led to corruption of the cards. For that reason I have been running Raspbian from an USB hdd since pi1.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Laserface posted:

I'm not an audiophile, I use cheap pack in cables on almost all my poo poo. But you don't have to be one to notice a difference between Spotify over Bluetooth and Spotify over cables.

Its enough for one of them to be slightly louder for you to think it sounds better.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The 4 also needs a relatively substantial heatsink or active cooling.
It doesn't.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

This might not be something I can do on a Pi (or at all) but I figured y'all would be the best people to ask. I'm looking to scan a bunch of my older books and turn them into ebooks, and it seems like the easiest/cheapest way to do that is to scan each page individually, then convert the img files into PDF, pull the text from said PDF, merge all the PDF files into one big one, then convert it to an epub file. So while none of that is hard, it is tedious and time consuming. So I was wondering if there was a way to automate that somehow with the Pi. I don't mind scanning all the pages, but I'd like to automate the rest of it if I could. Or if there's an easier way, let me know. I know I could buy like a 600$ book scanner, but I am not trying to spend too much money on this.

First i'd suggest researching if there already are ebook versions on :filez:. If not then feeding the images to Finereader or something like that.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 1, 2021

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Laserface posted:

Youtube gets past it now, when this 3mo free trial of YT premium runs out i fear i will be left not choice but to pony up.
In browser there is ublock and on android newpipe or vanced. Android tv smarttube next

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Laserface posted:

My TV is WebOS (thank gently caress, android is trash)
My TV is WebOS and I use an Android Box because no ads and WebOS is trash.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

xzzy posted:

Dumb help me use google question: I want an SD card reader on my rpi, which is easy, there's billions of USB options out there. But I want one that has that nice spring loaded push to lock/unlock feature and I'm not sure what that function is actually called.

If it matters, I'm gonna be stripping it out of its case and mounting it in a custom case along with the pi. So if there's a maker version of one of these that would be sweet.

Boot from USB and use the built in one.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

ante posted:

Does anyone actually... Like Raspberry Pis?

This might be the wrong thread to ask in, but just kinda been disappointed in them for years, continually going back and trying again to see if I'm still disappointed

Yes. As long as you realize that they are not a replacement for a laptop/desktop. They are great unitaskers.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Baconroll posted:

One of the rumours about the pi 5 is that it will go back to regular hdmi.

There are rumours about pi 5?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

wolrah posted:

If I were in charge I'd have gone with a standard HDMI port for monitor 1 and then had monitor 2 supported through the USB-C port with a dongle. That offers the most compatibility with existing installations while supporting all the same capabilities.

I think that c port on pi4 is only usb2. The boards are built around the Set Top Box SOC Broadcom gives them.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 8, 2021

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

xzzy posted:

The usb c port is power only. It has the two usb 3.0 ports though,

The c port is usb2 (otg or ordinary) connected to the soc. The two usb3 ports are connected through pcie and have their own controller.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

wolrah posted:

HDMI Alternate Mode would usually be implemented through a mux, so the SoC just needs the two HDMI outputs it already has.

the c port has only two data lines connected. It doesn't have the bandwidth.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

njsykora posted:

I assume the Pi4’s reputation for running hot,

It was the USB controller and they fixed it a couple months after release.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

wolrah posted:

This can cause very unpredictable behavior with at least Windows clients where they can decide to switch over to the secondary based on a single slow response and they will stick there for a period of time meaning that you lose whatever your Pi-Hole or other special DNS configuration was providing.

Good thing that pihole is only useful on mobile devices

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Raspberry Pi is fun for a project you tinker with, but in no way should you use it for something important in a set it and forget it fashion. You never know when the SD card will just get totally fuckered in a very specific way that isn't easy to notice.

That's why i have been booting from usb disk since rpi1.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

other people posted:

also plex is horrible try jellyfin instead. for a lot of use cases it is good enough

On my Raspberry pi4 Plex worked, Jellyfin just kept eating ram and crashing.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

sb hermit posted:

Depending on your requirements, you may be able to pick up a raspberry pi 400 for $99 and shipping. It's a 4GB rpi 4 (more or less) with a built in keyboard.

It also has the better revision of chip (higher frequency) iirc new batches of regular rpi4 also have that. And a sizeable heatsink.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Keisari posted:

I'd like to access my pi from my desktop, but I am worried about security. If I enables SSH, is my pi available on the internet or only on LAN? Is it certain that I need to take extra stops to enable access from the internet? I'd only want to access it on lan for the security benefits.

I haven't been able to find answer on google.

For some time the default OS disables password based SSH by default. Only key based is available (you can't brute force or guess that.). Also if your raspberry is behind a router you explicitly need to forward the ssh port. So by default its safe.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

Didn't know that you can power it through both ports. That is seriously cool.

You can even power the Rpi1 by plugging powered usb hub into it. Makes it really fun to restart it by unplugging power.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Bondematt posted:

Yesterday I learned you can run 24v into a Pi 2 with no ill effect.
I know nothing about electricity. But the first pi could be powered by plugging a powered usb 2 hub into it. It was fun trying to restart it by unplugging just the pi.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

mewse posted:

a mobile processor with a bunch of cell phone stuff stripped out.

Settop boxes and gpu/photo accelerator for nokia phones. It doesn't seem to have had any cellphone stuff like modem.

Speaking of stuff stripped out. Pi 4 does not have AES and SHA acceleration that basically every other ARM8 sbc have

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I've got I think is a Pi from 2012, it's got a 4GB SD card in it, it all works fine. Say I want to get a bigger SD card, what do I need to worry about in terms of compatibility, if anything? Are newer variants compatible with older readers, provided they don't exceed a given size?

Even on the rpi1 you can move the system to an usb stick/drive. And use the sd only to kickstart boot.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

Anyone able to recommend a UPS for a Pi4 or PiZeroW? I'd like to stop losing SD cards to power issues.

Switch to usb sticks or usb to sata ssds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

tater_salad posted:

How are PIs as a NAS?

What usage you mean when saying NAS?
I personally have pi4 with 3 powered USB drives that hold my music (i play over samba and Navidrome) and videos (Plex to multiple local and remote devices and local Kodi over samba). And also Kopia/Windows file history target/Syncthing. uses about 20-26W