Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

osirisisdead posted:

Chromebooks aren't real computers. They are toys for children.

I'm gonna disagree pretty strongly with this. Some of the more premium chromebooks are the best built laptops under $1k I've seen and felt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

fishmech posted:

Hopefully they'll take it as an opportunity to also update the GPU hardware. No excuses for continuing to use an over 10 year old barely touched gpu core.

Isn't the primary driver of this open source reasons? They really don't want a GPU that needs a binary proprietary firmware blob.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

General_Failure posted:

Can I have a link to these Kabini things? I want to see. All I can find are some sort of holiday resort.

Here's the one that matters:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/430774/Athlon_5350_Jaguar_2GHz_Socket_AM1_Boxed_Processor

$40 for a quad core CPU bundled with a mini-ITX motherboard, and it's not even that much slower than a Q6600 when it gets down to it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cross post from the networking thread in case you guys have some better ideas than what I've come up with:

Twerk from Home posted:

I could ask this in the Linux thread, Raspberry Pi thread, or here, but what I'd really like is a way to make UDP multicast not suck over wifi, so I'll ask here first.

I'm turning a Raspi 2 into a little audio monitor, and the simple straightforward way I'd like to do it is having ffmpeg take USB microphone input, transcode to mp3, and push it out to a multicast IP via RTP. I've done this, and it somewhat works but the packet loss is horrible. This works well if I actually do UDP unicast by pushing it to a single IP rather than multicast, but that somewhat defeats my goals.

The only other good solution I see involves adding some sort of http streaming server to the stack like icecast2 or nginx with a rtmp module, but that's going to be a whole other thing to configure, another service to write, and more stress on the RPi's teeny little CPU. I could also run an http streaming server on another machine, but that's even more complexity.

I'd really like multicast RTP to work over wifi.... but it doesn't.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

blunt posted:

Just in case anyone else was wondering about this, it turns out Plex won't do any transcoding on ARM chips :(

Out of curiosity, does it entirely refuse to do it, or just fail at performance? Libav is there on Raspbian jessie, and ffmpeg there on stretch. As I've found out though, the CPU just doesn't have the grunt to use x264 at reasonable settings in anything approaching real time.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

YouTuber posted:

Anyone familiar with using a Pi for receiving FM signal? I noticed that Kodi has a "Radio" tab on their new UI and was wondering if I could rig up a setup that would allow me to listen to FM radio over my network. My initial searches is drumming up "Software Defined Radio" but I understood this to mean shortwave frequency stuff used by the greybeards. Does this hardware cross over into medium wave frequency now? I'd love to be able to just flip on the radio and listen to it without a huge delay like you get over the internet. We have a great local Football commentary crew in Philly that I'd prefer to listen to rather than get stuck with Joe Buck.

You can receive FM radio with a pi, but you'll need an FM tuner which it doesn't have built in.

I don't have a short answer for a simple FM tuner with drivers out of the box, but if you go down the "software defined radio" rabbit hole then one of these: https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-DVB-T-Stick-RTL2832U-R820T/dp/B00C37AZXK and GNU radio will let you recieve almost anything under the sun.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

For a course this year, I have to make something with a raspberry pi 3. They haven't released guidelines yet but I have absolutely 0 ideas for anything that would be cool. It is a beginner class so I'm not sure how much they'll really expect but I'd still like to do something that I'd enjoy making. Any suggestions?

E: The only thing I could think of personally would be something where it automatically chucks raws and jpgs in the right folders on my harddrive when I put my sd card in it, but that feels like it'd be way too simple, and not really use the pi. Also you could do it with a python script or something.

Use a relay, lamp and a webcam to make a device that will flick a light on and off as rapidly as possible when it sees a person. You'll have to fiddle with the timing to see how quickly a modern CFL / LED bulb can be turned on and off without breaking.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Those are all way better ideas, I just saw "beginner class" and spat out the first dumb idea that popped into my head.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I think they publically said in an interview that they had no immediate plans for a Pi 3, then barely two weeks later announced the Pi 3 and in one of the interviews said that they'd been working on designing the Pi 3 for the last 18 months.

Having no plans for a Pi 4 would be suicide for the brand; there will always be a demand for a bigger better Pi with low cost and low power requirements. Announcing that you're working on a new model would cripple sales as everyone waits for the next model to arrive, rather than buy what's already on shelves.

Pi 3 already got 64 bit support, wifi and bluetooth; the big features I can see at this point are either an onboard camera, and/or sata-3 support and as discussed, decoupling the USB bus from the SD data storage. If they do that last item there's not a lot of incentive to stick with the same crippled (by today's standards) broadcom core that's mostly GPU and maybe pick something a bit more modern.

Maybe eMMC boot drive instead of booting from SD cards or USB storage?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

fishmech posted:

And if you want it on a TV, picking up a used Xbox One or PS4 can be a pretty cheap way to go. They both run full Minecraft versions, support full Netflix resolution, and the Xbox One now has a version of Minecraft that can play directly with people playing Minecraft on Windows 10, iOS and Android tablets/phones, and soon the Nintendo Switch. PS4's version will get that in afew months but there's still some issues to hash out there, it's the same capabilities though.

What's a "Full minecraft version" nowadays anyway? I thought that the Java version was still the only one with private servers, and you can sure run original Minecraft on a hacked chromebook.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Having run a Raspberry Pi 2 for several months as an always-on torrent server in the past (using Deluge) my opinion is that it works well considering the inherent limitations of the platform, but those limitations are significant. Make sure you have a reliable power source that's actually putting out close to 5V so you don't get random brownouts and system disk corruption, and realize that all of your I/O is going through a single USB2.0 bus internally so there are serious limits to how fast it will go. Even with the reduced processor in the Zero it should be fine just to run a torrent server but there's no way you're going to be able to get files into or out of it at much more than 10MBps with locally attached disks.

I used a Pi for that usage case for a while, and it was frustrating having a gigabit internal network and 250mbit internet, while the Pi couldn't even saturate fast ethernet.

An atom nuc like this one is so vastly better at that same job, while still being a tiny quiet power efficient box.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Question: What's the next step up from a raspberry pi that is more powerful and can use a 2.5" ssd? A NUC? Most NUCs are a bit of a big jump in price from a pi.

You can get used ultra-small form factor desktops for really cheap, or you can be like me and ebay a used i5 NUC for $140. At the point where you want good SSD performance, you likely want a full blown x86 computer, of which plain old corporate desktops will be cheapest.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

A Bag of Milk posted:

I want to use a raspberry pi 4b to play some media using Kodi. I'd use an external hard drive plugged directly into the raspberry pi for the media and want to transfer files regularly from a windows pc. If some media I want to play is more than 4gb, what's the best way to get around the fat32 filesize limitation?

You can read NTFS from Linux but it eats CPU. I’d still prefer that to FAT32 though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

gourdcaptain posted:

I'm having issues where after I finally got my RPi 4 to go into 4K60 output to my TV (the problem was my TV), it regularly loses its wifi connection while in 4K60 video output and only while in that resolution. The only stuff I can find online about that blames bad HDMI cables, anyone have any other ideas to check while I wait on a higher quality replacement cable? (I've only got the one microHDMI cable, and it's... not the best of my cables.)

Have you tried updating your firmware? https://www.zdnet.com/article/raspberry-pi-4-wi-fi-problem-firmware-update-will-fix-your-screen-resolution-bug/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I agree strongly that a plain old Windows desktop is by far the best PC for adults who are not very tech literate but need a computer. If they print stuff a USB laser is the only way to go too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I would like to play with a completely toy solar + battery setup for a Pi with some sensors, but some quick math showed me that even a Pi Zero 2 sucks down a considerable amount of power at idle, so I'm going to have to complicate my setup some more with a small microcontroller that wakes up the Pi occasionally, then cuts power.

Does anyone have a recommended solar + charger setup that they've validated works? I don't need small, so I'm really tempted to go with a cheap LiFePO4 or even NiMH battery back of some type, also because those are less likely to burn if I gently caress something up. To solve power usage, I'm thinking of throwing a Pi Pico in there too, having it spend almost all of its time in deep sleep mode, and then waking up according to a timer, letting the pi run long enough to do its thing, and then shutting it down again.

Also, does anyone have a recommended LoRaWAN setup for a Pi? My vision here is a self-contained solar powered box with sensors that can use LoRaWAN to wirelessly send values over line of sight about 1km.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm throwing an old Pi 3 into service as a power monitor at a GFCI outlet in my crawlspace that nuisance trips so that I can get alerted immediately when it goes down. I figured I'd host a page, forward a high port, and use Uptime Robot to yell at me when the page is down.

I intend this thing to serve a webpage and do nothing else. I don't want it to write at all if possible so that I can preserve the SD card. Based on https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/109422/how-to-disable-logs, I've disabled rsyslog and configured journald to use only volatile storage. Is there anything else that I missed? What else should I do to make a Pi serve a static page for the next 10 years from my crawlspace?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Inept posted:

Yeah but running a desktop instead of a Pi for the previous 4 years would have cost them at least an extra hundred bucks in electricity, and probably several hundred

I've been using an Intel NUC that I got used on eBay for $140 for 8-ish years now, an i5-4250U idles at 6W, the whole thing is under 20W at full tilt, and even with a 9 year old processor it runs laps around the Pi 4.

Pis idle at what, 3W? So I've used worst case like $100 more in power, but realistically it's a wash because it's idle most of the time.

Edit: if you're trying to min/max this the pro move is a fanless setup that you also use as your router so that you can avoid paying the watts for a separate router. AT&Ts router is hot as hell and sucks tons of power but I can't do anything about it.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 11, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

What's the simplest way to get a pi, a single 3.5" hard disk and a SATA adapter to connect the two of them into a single case with a single power supply? Or is this too much to ask?

I realize the easiest option by far is an external USB disk and 2 wall warts, but I'm curious if anything exists.

This would be for direct playing media off a giant drive, not a NAS. It's fine if the SATA is through a USB adapter internally, I'm not going to pretend that I need native SATA support, although it looks the Pi OS did pick up SATA support a few years ago: https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2021/raspberry-pi-os-now-has-sata-support-built

Edit: it doesn't even have to be a pi, x86 or ARM mini PCs that run a normal Linux are fine too but the Pi space seems most likely to have something. A single 3.5" bay, that's all!

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 11, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

mewse posted:

Not sure a powered usb hub would cut it - the pi recommends 2.5 amps, will the hub support that power draw on every port? The way I would probably try to do it would be to buy a cheap 5V power supply then wire a bunch of usb breakout boards to it

Wow, this becomes more appealing given that the power supply spec for the Pi 5 is 5V@5A, which very, very few general USB chargers will provide. I wonder how often the fan would kick in on that PSU.

Is there a reason to do USB breakout rather than just powering the Pis off of the pins in the GPIO area?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 23, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

cruft posted:

My RPi4 homelab server is at 100% CPU again.

It's serving up gitea pages to some web crawler or something, and transcoding a DVD.

Sometimes I worry that I should have some overhead CPU left, but then I think, like, why? Other than using more electricity, and me getting my DVD transcoded a little sooner, there's no benefit to me. And I don't really need the DVD any earlier, I can wait.

In closing, it's a real nice computer.

Are you using x264 or something else? I've found that x265 / x264 both perform like dogshit on ARM computers of any type, no matter how big or small. Are other encoders any better? Meanwhile, libvpx encodes VP9 impressively fast on ARM.

In AV1 land, SVT-AV1 is currently x86-focused too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Does anyone have a recommended application to test SD cards, or at the point where one is a few years old and has ever done anything iffy should I throw them away? This is for more than just Pis, for better or worse I've got a lot of SD cards in a lot of different devices.

Also, is the official case the best way to cool a 5? How do they hold up with just a passive heatsink on there instead of a fan? Is there any way to throttle down target power instead? I want to use a 5 as a (toy) ARM CI server, comparing it to cross compiling + QEMU emulation on x86. If heat throttling just makes it slower without any wear or damage concerns, I'd be happy just to let it throttle.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

repiv posted:

pi isn't even the gold standard for ARM distro support, the server-class ARM systems from ampere or whoever have fully upstreamed drivers and UEFI firmware that lets them boot unmodified generic distros exactly like an x86 machine

the only company trying to scale that down to cheap SBCs is librecomputer but they're stuck with relatively old chips since they don't have the resources to work on upstreaming newer stuff

Broadcom is the problem and always have been. There's a good reason why Qualcomm, Broadcom, Mediatek, or any of the other mobile chipset vendors have failed to make big inroads while Apple, Ampere and Annapurna have been able to sell into consumer and server markets.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm extremely skeptical of the raspberry pi IPO, what's the stated goal here? I need to look more into it, are they raising a bunch of capital with the plans to make many more products? Will more capital let them avoid the manufacturing problems they've had? Why public? It's going to make more work for them and if the core vision is to keep prices down for hobbyist computers, I just don't get how this helps.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Pi 5 performance is comparable to the Atom-level chips, far beyond what Pihole needs. You could set up a console emulation frontend like Retropie, a file server, a container sandbox, a VPN gateway, or lots of other things.

I'd also argue that if you want to do those things too, you'd be better served by the Intel chip given that they cost the same amount as a Pi 5 anyway and come with an nvme SSD instead of SD cards or a USB SSD.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

mewse posted:

Geerling did a video recently where he tried to compare a pi 5 to a brand new mini pc. He was forced to concede performance per dollar is loving awful for the pi, but then charted "performance per power usage" to try and salvage anything the pi might still have going for it.

Wow 135 geekbenches per watt is so much better than 93 geekbenches per watt! This is definitely not a contrived statistic that 99% of people don't give a poo poo about!

Even with the Pi 5's higher efficiency it still has thermal issues that require an active cooler, in the video he crams in an NVME hat that barely fits in the official case and blocks the airflow to the active cooler.

Like, best of luck to the pi organization with their IPO and their business customers, hobbyists should seek alternatives if the 2-3yr stock shortage didn't force them to already.

Those no-brand mini PCs ship with insane BIOS settings and power limits far higher than those CPUs need to perform well. If you change a setting in the BIOS (or buy a real brand like Intel NUC) they blow away the RPi5 on performance per watt, which they should because they are several silicon processes more advanced.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Yeah, the GPIO out of the box on something massively more powerful than a microcontroller plus a gigantic community are what make the RPi neat and why I'm still posting in this thread.

I do feel like they've been so hard to get for so long that they are putting the future of that community at risk. I guess the 5 is easier to get than a 4 over the last few years, but I'm curious how they price a 2GB / 1GB model.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

eightysixed posted:

This is what I was getting at earlier.
I have PiHole running on a Pi-1 B+ that currently has a DNS Blocklist of over 1.4 million domains.
It also runs MariaDB, MySQL, a few websites built on Javascript executed on Lighttpd, a DokuWiki, and connects wirelessly to a SDS-011 sensor.
Again, that's a Raspberry Pi 1 B+ doing all that stuff, and what did it cost? Like $15, or whatever when it was first released?
No one needs a Pi5 for PiHole.

e: I'm just trying to save you all spending frivolous money when my little Pi hooked up to a router running a gigabit connection (UDM), handles everything I've thrown at it, and it barely passes 0.25 load and it's only that high when I FTP in to make changes to said JS scripts :shobon:

The Pi 1B was $35, or $47 inflation adjusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Is there any off-the-shelf power supply that can power 4 modern Raspberry Pis over usb-c, or is everyone running 3+ of these rigging up a 5V industrial power supply and powering them via GPIO pins?