Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I spent a long time looking for e-ink a few years ago and found that the hardest part was finding a source that actually sells to consumers. Most of them were bulk order type deals.

I had this grand idea of a pi powered car mp3 player with e-ink for a screen but it was not to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, that's why e-ink is so loving cool.

Their refresh rate is bad compared to LCD but for static images they have a "permanence" that can't be beat.

I feel myself getting sucked back into that hole, because they got 7.5 inch screens for $60-ish. :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Open another window on your windows machine and ssh into the pi again.

tmux is more about running multiple shells over the same connection. Which you can also do, but is a learning curve that might be overkill at this point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Run vnc server on your desktop and a vnc viewer on the pi? You can run the viewer in a no-interaction mode.

I tried this as a thin client setup with a first gen pi and it didn't work for poo poo, but now that the pi has a decent clock speed maybe it's not too bad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What kind of dongles does it need? It's just a dns server isn't it?

Unless you're talking about doing it with a zero.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, once I get ssh running with my rsa keys no pi has a display or keyboard plugged into it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pihole in its default configuration is just a dns server. The only thing it's doing is fielding a dns lookup from your computer, checking the ip against the blacklist, and if it passes it relays the query to an upstream DNS to get you the ip that matches the hostname. This is a trivial amount of traffic and well within the capabilities of even a first gen raspberry.

There might be a couple extra milliseconds to resolve hostnames because an additional server is in the chain but this only happens on the first lookup (the result will be cached for some period) and is the same delay you'd get using your ISP's dns server.

Your actual network transfers never touch the pihole.

There can be issues with pihole when ipv6 and ssl get involved, which they have some documentation for if you dig around.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, it's loving awesome is what it is. :colbert:

I have two pis currently hanging off my router, one is a model b running pihole and the other is my generic ssh access/git repo server.

(and I have two more for actual hobbyist stuff)

Put a pi in every room!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The network boot still requires an SD card to be in the slot so I'm not sure what it buys you.

If there's OS config you want to ensure a given pi is using, maybe there's some small scale configuration management tool out there. Puppet would definitely work but that's hilarious overkill for a small home environment.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It is cool, but as the link demonstrates it's a very fussy process and not the sort of thing where you can rewind and try again.

I think getting the pi in a case with minimal holes and sealing the seams with epoxy would be just as effective and less error prone.

(but maybe do it on a very low humidity day)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Who's got time to read up on specifications when you could just goop something!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, it asks you during setup if you want it to function as a dhcp server.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My pihole is running raspbian lite so it's certainly supported. Best guess is whatever it uses to determine the OS flavor is messed up somehow.

Assume you've already tried it, but if not run a full apt-get upgrade and see if it helps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress wiring in cars.

My weekend project has been to replace a stereo and loving hell it's a lot more of a mess than the last time I did it (back in the 90's).

So many wires!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did you tape two male RCA connectors together tip to tip? :v:

Not Pi related, but it is "tearing your car part related." This was my car yesterday:

Trying to get a back up camera and a gps receiver wired in all pretty looking turned into a rabbit hole. In hindsight I should have gone with your "gently caress it make it work" strategy because snapping out every single piece of interior trim blows.

Ended up paying $15 for access to Toyota's maintenance documentation to get diagrams of how everything pulls apart. Would have saved a ton of time if I'd done that from the start.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sandisk is the can't go wrong brand. $45 for 128gb seems low to me, what speed class are they?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, SD card specifications are a loving disaster.

Fortunately the specification group has a handy chart, which literally no one can remember and ends up googling every time they want to buy SD.

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

lol that speed chart doesn't clear much, if anything, up compared to the amazon product descriptions, i'm probably gonna just go with the best rated ~$40-50 128gb card since I'm not shooting 8k video with it.

Yeah true, but amazon's product descriptions have grown into moldy poo poo over the past few years so that's not really a surprise. I was linking it more so you could squint at the logos on the product itself.

My MO for SD cards is to buy whatever sandisk is selling for $50.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Biggest issue with the pi getting poe is it means I need to replace my router with one that has poe making a $35 purchase at least $100. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use ubiquiti for my wifi, but I am a huge mikrotik fanboy for my wired router. Their CLI is really unorthodox but it's been around forever so answers are pretty easy to google.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, it's just geeking out. I have a shelf in my basement where my internet comes into the house and my WiFi and Pihole are hanging off the router. Power them both with poe and I could get rid of two wall warts! Mega efficient!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want lots of power in a small box, get a NUC or something. If you want to gently caress around with servos or cameras or any other goofy electronics project you can think up, get a pi.

The pi is amazing for what it is, not sure why people want it to be a super computer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I may have been using hyperbole for comedic effect.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Check iptables (iptables -nL)? It reads to me like something shut down outside access.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Next step is buy a weather station and register with CWOP!

That way you don't have to harvest NOAA's information but can be a part of it. :spergin:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Traditional method is a cron job that periodically checks its public IP and updates a dns server somewhere. dyndns was how you did it back in the day, not sure if they're still around/reputable. I do it with my digitalocean vps because they have a really cool dns API and I host my personal stuff there already.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Having a proper soldering iron in the house takes so many ideas from "eh, maybe not" or "gently caress that would be expensive" to "spent an afternoon making something awesome."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll have you know I've fixed way more stuff with a soldering iron than broken it! :v:

Granted an actual electrician would poo-poo everything because the results look like poo poo, but stuff works.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just use that for brevity, gently caress if I'm gonna type out "electrical engineer" every time it comes up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Electrolyte, that's my final offer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buy a full size pi then. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

The AP idea leads me to another thought though: maybe the Pi can host an AP bridged to client mode. That’d give me something I could connect to and edit wpa_supplicant with an iPad even.

I tried this last summer and it's a bit of a fussy solution.. largely because my brains drool out of my ears whenever I dig into wifi configuration under linux because all the documentation is written with the assumption you already know how to do everything.

Long story short I was using my pi to control my camera out in the sticks and I wanted it to be an AP so I could connect my phone to it, open an ssh connection, and fire off some scripts. Eventually I landed on a config that worked really well with my phone (ios was even smart enough to continue to use my LTE connection for normal internet access), but my windows laptop lost its poo poo when trying to connect to it. It'd fail to get an ip a lot, and when it did get an ip communication was super hit or miss. :iiam:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can you have it exclaim that wizard came from the moon every time someone enters the room?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any car sold in the US since 1996 will have obd2 interface on it, which is the easiest and most common way to get this data, I think at 1 second resolution. For stuff without that interface you gotta hack it.

As for doing with with a raspberry, there is a python library that pretty much everyone relies on:

http://www.obdtester.com/pyobd

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just be real hesitant about plugging a bluetooth or wifi (or even cellular) enabled obd2 reader into your car. It creates an attack surface and proof of concepts are out there for dicking around with brakes and steering.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That lifepo4 is unbelievably cool and I'm sad I hadn't heard about it until now. All my away-from-home pi projects so far have been lugging a battery pack and being careful to shut down over ssh before I unplugged everything, I never even thought to look for a UPS type solution.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Then write the forum software from scratch and never release the source!

Problem solved, not sure why more people don't do it this way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To give some hard numbers, a single gpio pin on the pi can output 3.3v at 16mA (roughly, see the link). Overall max output is 51mA. A single LED will use 15mA so it's not hard to see how easy it is to overload a pi.. you can run 3 LEDs before hitting maximum.

Running a motor off the pi is even less realistic.

The specifics of the power output are actually way more complicated if you want to get your hands dirty, read this: http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Raspberry/Understanding_Outputs.html

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Years ago I tried running btsync on a rev 1 pi and it would constantly crash trying to handle large files (roughly 500mb and up), it just didn't have enough memory to handle the file and the associated indexing.

Newer ones are probably fine but it is something to keep an eye on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ran a pi 3 off a 7800 mAh battery for like 3 hours and it used maybe 10% of the battery. It was just running a python script that sent commands over usb and fired off a signal on a gpio pin every few seconds so it wasn't doing that much, but it gives a sense of scale for how efficient the pi is. Get a 20,000 mAh power source and I would bet you could run the pi and camera for 24 hours before it dies.