Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
What do you guys think is the best power supply on Amazon for a Pi 3? I'm considering grabbing one of these just to learn how to program and maybe turn it into a RetroPie machine so I can play some classic games while lounging around the couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Jesus this thing makes me feel dumb as gently caress.

This is for a normal every day Pi-Hole setup.

Grabbed a Pi Zero kit and one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L32UUJK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plug in the USB Ethernet, my router says it has a good connection, but the Pi Zero is just determined to stay on it's wifi. I had originally given its wifi a static address in my router, but then I read that it's best to turn off DHCP on the router and turn it on in the Pi-Hole Admin console.

I have no clue how to get the thing to stop using wifi and specifically use the USB adapter. Hell I really wanted to just keep using DHCP on my router instead of letting Pi-Hole do it -- and maybe I still can -- but it's 1 in the morning after a full work day and my google fu is no longer strong.

I'm dangerous at best with Linux (I took one college class and run Ubuntu on a laptop) so if you guys can help me out here I'd appreciate it. I can post logs or whatever when I get home from work.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I'm an absolute newb, but was looking at ethernet options so was looking similarly to disable wifi. There are a couple posts out there if you search them out. It comes down to disabling the driver initialization on boot. Not sure if this is relevant in current code base, I imagine it is.

I figured it was something like this; I tried to blacklist the wifi and it worked but the ethernet never kicked in after. Looks like I need to manually assign it an IP address in a setting file somewhere instead of letting DHCP do it?

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

I dug my Pi 0 W1 out of the box it was sitting in, connected it to the USB OTG hub it came with, gave that power, and tried to install Batocera on it. The distro installs fine, but none of my controllers (an 8bitdo Pro 2, and Xbox Series X, and a [likely] knockoff Switch Pro Controller) can be seen by the Pi when plugged in via USB. If I plug in a USB keyboard I can't get that to register either; no caps lock, no num lock, nothing.

I wondered if maybe batocera was missing drivers or something. Retropie does the same thing. So does Recalbox. So now I am starting to think the USB hub is the issue (it's one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Smays-Ethernet-compatible-Raspbian-Raspberry/dp/B00L32UUJK ).

Honestly, I was only doing this so I could set up an emulation box so my 4 year old could play Mario and Sonic on the TV with the controller I bought him (so he'd stop trying to steal mine and my BILs).

I'm almost to the point of buying a used Wyse 5070 for $45 and installing batocera on that instead and slapping it behind the TV and calling it good. Suggestions?