Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

DNova posted:

It's really stupid that you expect that the vast majority of kids who have access to a computer science curriculum would not be able to afford to get totally loving kitted out with one of these. These kids already have laptops. Get off it already.

In that case, what advantage does an RP give them over their, yknow, laptop? Just curious. I've heard people say "oh they can do systems-level programming without loving anything up!" but I'm not sure why that's even something you would want to teach middle/high school students in 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

if you're getting the Canakit kit, the power cable an inline switch on it

excellent bird guy posted:

I was going to buy this GeeekPi metal case with icetower cooler. I don't care much for the Canakit case. Just going to run emulationstation/retropie, maybe I can get that Kodi app I've had trouble with to work.

curious how you like this. my only beef with the Canakit case is it's so lightweight that the very light pull of controller/power/video/ethernet cables is enough to pull it every which way and even keep it from resting flat on the surface. been thinking I need to tape a rock to the top of it or something

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

gourdcaptain posted:

Huh, was that a later addition? I got one of the near-launch Pi 4 kits from them and it didn't have a switch on the power cable or the fan I know they included with later units.

might be, I only got mine a month or so ago. oddly, it's not actually pictured in the product page for the one I got (the 32 gig starter kit), but is for the "MAX" kit and the one with a display. they do sell it separately: https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-4-on-off-power-switch.html

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

klosterdev posted:

It's been interesting to watch Pi as a desktop computer go from "Haha no" to "Yeaano" to "Very technically but you'll be miserable the entire time" to "Yes*****"

honestly, four-five years ago, this would have been a perfect Linux device for people who want to dip a toe into doing programming. you always could use a Pi for it, but GUIs running terribly always made it rather hard for people who weren't already CLI-friendly.

unfortunately, nowadays, a bit harder of a sell between cheaper/better cloud environments, better Windows support for non-.NET programming, WSL being runnable in Win10 Home with much lower overhead than traditional VMs, and higher system requirements for writing/building code. still, I imagine there'll be a new generation of "learn to code with a Pi" books built around this device (and the base Pi 4) that won't assume you have another computer to write code on and transfer to a Pi (or expect you to figure out nano or something)