Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah for the kind of schools that can't afford to have a computer lab, teaching linux programming on an outdated cell phone chipset isn't going to be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Computer viking posted:

How does the OS or hardware matter when teaching a basic introduction to programming course? The only important parts is that the OS+hardware won't create too many problems and that the chosen language isn't entirely braindead. The bigger issue is finding interested and competent teachers, I suspect.

(Keep in mind that this is a first look at programming, not a trade skills course.)

Because a school that can't afford normal computers for use in everything else a school needs computers for probably shouldn't have RPis for a programming class.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

McGlockenshire posted:

How many of these can be charged while also providing power, even if it's just passthru?

Well, here's one I have that supports that just fine:
http://www.amazon.com/myCharge-Trek-2000-Rechargeable-Power/dp/B008PQAGM8

They seem to be cheaper than they once were too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

stray posted:

Just out of curiosity: if I plugged my Raspberry Pi into my home server's USB, could the Pi use the server's network, etc?

Only if you had the proper software on both the Pi and that server. You might have to write it yourself, or adapt it from other devices.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JawnV6 posted:

I was assuming the pi was handling communication to the external weather sensor?

I doubt that would be cost effective compared to simply paying a few bucks more to upgrade to an outside weather sensor with its own wireless/wired networking support. That seems to be becoming a standard feature.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ante posted:

65 pounds is still pretty expensive for something marketed as a low-cost computer.

When the average computer bought costs $400? Really?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ante posted:

Who said anything about an average computer? The entire ethos of the Pi was, "hey, it would be great if we could send a whole bunch of computers to developing nations and kids under the poverty line. Let's try reeeeaaally hard and get the price down to $35 (crazy cheap)."

It's pretty obvious that the creators of that display's kickstarter have no such intention. I'm saying that even without economies of scale, it's very possible to get a display for less than the price of a Raspberry Pi.

The displays I pointed out have lower resolution yeah, that one is a fair point, but I don't know how important that is. Most people probably aren't using that screen to watch movies.

65 pounds for a decent high res small display is actually cheap as heck though. Sure you can get a total crap display for under $35 but that's not the point.

Plus don't bullshit here. Everyone knows the real point of the Pi was for people relatively well off compared to people in developing countries to have a gently caress around computer that they could use with spare displays and input devices they already have. People actually in developing countries with no computer already would need to buy a decent number of other things in order to actually use a RasPi, same goes for kids under the poverty line.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

YouTuber posted:

Uh I've actually seen pictures of African libraries running their computer labs consisting of entirely Raspberry Pi. It works exactly how they intended to in that regard. As for it being the saving grace of the current generation's capability to write code that remains to be seen.

That's nice for them, but that means they had to scrounge up a whole bunch of extra hardware to make it work.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
NES emulators? They're simple, just run the program and load the ROM. Unlike many later systems, there's no need to hunt down and apply BIOS dumps or complicated controller mappings.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

YouTuber posted:

So in theory we should now be capable of running Android on the Pi since their big hurdle was hardware decoding? Even if it is an outdated version of Android, having an OS that was designed for and has a library of applications based around touch screens is a great thing for stuff like car builds.

Possibly, but a lot of stuff is still not going to work right given the compromises that had to be made.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The Pi server blade appeal is basically inexperienced people who have it as their first experience, and now that they have this hammer....

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I'm trying to use my raspberry pi as a print server since there are no 64bit windows drivers for my old rear end laser printer.
The problem is that it only prints one page before getting stuck and giving up.

My best guess after looking at top during a job seems to be that ghostscript and foo2zjs are taking up 70-98% of the cpu long enough that
it freaks the gently caress out of CUPS.
Is the pi just going to be underpowered for this situation?

I hate printers :(

What old laser printer is that, incidentally? It will probably help for diagnosing the issue.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PS. Love the cabin posted:

HP LaserJet 1000.
Unfortunately as with every time I decide to post asking something, it starts working, sort of.

I set CUPS to re-send the job on error instead of bailing after the first one.

Ah, yeah, it's one of those printers that cheaps out by having most of the rendering of the pages done on the host computer. Having it eat up a ton of of processing power on a Pi is going to be pretty much unavoidable, sadly, and that will cause other aspects of the printing system to freak out.

Back when it was new, you could easily bring an older Pentium III system to its knees printing with one of those printers, and the Pi's roughly on par with one of those for basic computational power.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Blocking the one pin makes sure people plug in the IDE cable in the right orientation, even with drives that didn't have the plastic shroud with a space for the keying bump around their pins.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Especially for the type of SoC the Raspberry Pi is based off of, which is essentially ripped straight from a nearly decade old cell phone.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You sound like you're thissss close to needing an Intel NUC or similar device: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Computing-Gigabit-i3-3217U-DC3217IYE/dp/B0093LINVK

You get bumped up to a full Core i3, it's super compact, it will use real peripherals and in general is much more reliable for your needs. But it is $240.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Isn't it the other way around? That Apple routers are solid and interoperable, but their other devices had some Wi-Fi jackassery (excessive polling?) going on some time in the past?

Apple routers are only "solid" with Apple devices, especially when you're working with embedded type devices.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

YouTuber posted:

So apparently the Raspberry Pi 2 is announced.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/02/raspberry_pi_model_2/

Anyone able to comment on what the hardware would enable? Shouldn't some form of Android be possible now? It has brand recognition but I think there are quite a few competitors out there at the same price range that are comparable or better.

Even though it's quad core, the 900 mhz standard clock might be a bit poky. But this is upgrading it from a 2006 smartphone to a lower end 2013 smartphone, which means it'll be a lot more powerful and will certainly run Android very well, especially if you give it a bit of an overclock.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I don't believe ARMv6 has native support for quad core-single chip systems, so it'd be doubtful they could produce an "ARMv6" compatible chip that was quad core.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah a "developed community" doesn't really exist for the Pi 2 yet and won't for some time after release. Many things will need significant work done to take advantage of the hardware and instruction set changes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rexroom posted:

It's a cheap hobbyist computer with a strong community of fellow hackers. Kind of like what the Commodore 64 was back in the day. Yes, those examples you gave would probably do the job better, but where's the fun in that? This is more about hacking something cool. After all, this is designed as an educational computer science tool for schools.

Ehh I really hate the C64 connection people try to draw with it. C64 was cheap but it also was widespread and a more than decent games machine. It later developed a community of hackers and hobbyists as it started to decline in popularity, yet remained on the shelf at a cheap price point, but it was always focused around "mainstream" usage - it was nearly 50% of the personal computer market all by itself at one point!

A better comparison would be old-fashioned kit computers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wooger posted:

Does anyone with a Pi really not already ha ve a PC though? Surely we can tinker and learn to program on our PC in python or something, or run a VM for OS tinkering.

For buying a ton of machines for cheap as education tools it maybe makes sense, but if you have access to a real server, or ability to run a VM, not sure what you're getting.

The one thing I might bother tinkering with on a low power device is networking: e.g. an OpenBSD firewall. This though has just one 100mbps Ethernet port, which kills it.

Main thing is that if you start wiring random electronics projects onto your regular PC, you risk losing hundreds of dollars of hardware. It's way safer doing it with the pi or other similar devices.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

It's slow and the distributions used tend to work a bit differently to deal with the hardware.

You can easily learn both just fine with the computer you already have, with a simple free VM to run Linux in if you don't want to try dual booting it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mod sassinator posted:

I'm curious, what do people expect to do with an Android port on the Pi? It won't have Google's apps like their store so I guess you'd just sideload your own Android apps onto it? Why would it be better than Raspbian?

It's piss-easy to load the Play store and the core google applications on any Android environment.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

thehustler posted:

You know these RTL-SDR dongles that everyone's buying? Apparently they only have a maximum sample bandwidth of 3.2 MHz - how is that possible? If they are digital TV tuners in their past lives, that would require a bandwidth of up to 8MHz (in the UK, at least).

Is it just that in their SDR analysing mode they only can do 3.2 because its so system intensive, but for the singular use of TV stuff they support a higher bandwidth? Or am I missing something?

Channel bandwidth in the Americas/Japan/Korea is 6 MHz, so yeah something's fishy if it will only do 3.2 MHz for arbitrary analyzing. Or maybe the guys selling them are just under-rating performance to cover their rear end.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

raej posted:

Since we're waiting on Windows 10 to come out for the RPI2, has anyone heard of putting Windows RT on it since it's ARM? Is it even possible?

That is the version that will be going on the Pi yes, but drivers/an image are not ready.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BrainDance posted:

I don't know where you're getting that from. Whatever Windows will be on the Pi it will certainly not be Windows RT. Windows RT is dead.

It is not really, as it's the restrictive ARM build of Windows. You will never have full windows on a Pi until it gets an x86-64 processor in a future upgrade. There's going to be a rebranding of it, but RT remains the name of the API used, and what the Pi gets is RT by another name.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Methanar posted:

It has encryption

Yeah various levels of encryption have been available for VNC since 2003 or so.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theperminator posted:

That all depends on the Client/Server being used, most "encryption" in VNC servers/clients covers the login password only.

Yes but encrypted ones are widely available, including on the Pi's repositories for various distributions.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theperminator posted:

I've been out of the loop for a while, which vnc services support encryption under linux that are free?

SSVNC is available on the Pi, it encrypts the session by running through an encrypted SSH tunnel.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

It's just one method that works on there, chill out.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr.Radar posted:

The Kickstarter says the PocketCHIP screen is only 470 x 272 so, yeah, expect rear end.

That's the same resolution as the original PSPs, if people need a comparison.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mod sassinator posted:

SD cards are not designed to suddenly lose power

No they absolutely are. It's the file system you might be using that might not be. SD cards were developed to handle use in digital cameras on batteries that might go out at any time, including when the camera was writing new photos.

You shouldn't expect severe data loss unless you know the Pi's writing something important at that very minute.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Do keep in mind that the GPU in the Pi 2 is basically the same one as the Pi 1 and thus nearly 9 years old. It's not exactly a powerhouse for GPU computing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

doctorfrog posted:

I guess I was one of the ignorami who didn't look too deeply at Windows 10 on the Pi, but I wasn't expecting a full Win 10 desktop experience, either, but something pretty scaled down, maybe half as flexible as Raspbian, with some disappointing form of their cloud, office, and gaming features roped in. I figured it would be part of MS's attempted entree into schools: cheapo computers with basic computery functions, aimed at poorer schools or better-equipped schools' science and activity labs.

"IoT"-a read the article next time.

That doesn't really make sense. "Use raspberry pis as cheap school computers" has never made sense even if that was the intention. You can't use a Pi 2 without extra keyboard, mouse, display device. You bundle all that up and frankly regular Windows desktops or even low end laptops are cheaper, and significantly more versatile.

There are very few situations ever that you'd have usb mice, keyboards, and either composite tvs or hdmi tv/monitors all ready to go in the dozens but no computers, or with computers but they're so old that the Pi or anything like them would be a step up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

baka kaba posted:

They weren't meant to be drop-in replacements for PCs, the idea was to have a Computer Science package that's ready to go for any classroom at any level. It comes with a simple language for teaching fundamental concepts to beginners, that teachers with no ICT background can work with (which has always been a concern with this general push to bring computer science to younger children).

And the form factor and hardware access along with Python opens the door to design and technology projects, which is what a lot of schools have been using them for. The fact the 'hacking community' has embraced the Pi isn't exactly a side-effect - it was designed to be a general, flexible tool for students to create and explore ideas

Right, and they're TERRIBLE for that in comparison to the computers modern schools already have if they could also afford the necessary ancillary kit to actually use the Pis. In my high school in the 2000s, we simply used a free Java IDE for computer science class. Python, poo poo even Pascal or logo (they still put that out you know) are also free or often nearly free for education.

If it was designed to be that, it's worked out terribly for it to be frank. Because what they really built was something that was cheap and great for people who already know all about computers, or at least a decent bit. And that's a good thing for it to be, they just didn't seem to realize that that's what it could only really ever be.

It reminds me of the original OLPC. They decided to make it gimmicky with some custom Linux OS, then when the actual people who would be receiving them finally got a say, they're like "well we would really prefer if it had a normal OS, preferably Windows, so that we can use the same things the rich folks can". And then people whined about the project being tainted when Microsoft donated free Windows 7 Starter licenses for most of the later ones produced and actually sent overseas.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

baka kaba posted:

Yeah let's get a bunch of primary school teachers trained up in Java and wrangling serial ports on a collection of laptops, sounds like a plan

Why do you need serial ports? :confused: If you're teaching basic computer stuff where the heck do serial ports come in in the year of our lord 2015? And Java's easy enough by far. Or again, python, logo, and other things. The Pi doesn't bring anything to the table, since all languages already run on the computers the school already has, whether they be Windows, OS X or even Linux if some school districts done that.

doctorfrog posted:

I always wondered, but never enough to look it up. OLPC was the sort of thing I thought was really neat, but always kinda scratched my head about what the poor African villagers in the pictures were supposed to do when the battery wouldn't hold any kind of charge in 2-3 years, the handle on the charge thing broke, or the kids wanted do something outside of the ghettoized OS it came with.

I even downloaded Sugar, the OS. It... means well.

If I remember right at one point the OLPC group considered just dumping unsent OLPCs over villages near the end.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Paul MaudDib posted:

The thing is it is also terrible for that, because experienced users want to be able to do things that involve USB 2.0 speeds. For like a couple years the kernel would drop USB packets at 2.0 speeds. Even now, it's a terrible architecture for that because SD card, system disk, external disk, network, webcam, whatever are all hanging off a single 400 Mbps bus. USB ain't made for that.

While this is all true, it was still really really cheap which was the main thing. Really these criticisms apply more to the Pi 2 because they coulda fixed that stuff and put a non-9 years-old GPU on it to match with the no-longer-9 years-old CPU but whatever.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Karthe posted:

What's preventing anyone from releasing an x86 version of something like the Pi? Is it that the x86 architecture is expensive in general? I think it was in this thread that someone linked a Pi-esque x86 board that was going for a few hundred dollars? Obviously a far cry from $35.

I just wanted a cheap, low-power server I could keep on all the time without worrying about my electricity bill inflating. Unfortunately ARM seems to be a poo poo platform for what I want to do so I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and pick up an HP Mini instead.

Intel has their Compute Stick for around $140.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/compute-stick/intel-compute-stick.html

It comes with 1 GB of ram and 8 GB of storage for the cheaper Linux version, or 2 GB ram and 32 GB storage for the more expensive Windows version (either os can be installed on either revision though)

It has a quad core modern Atom CPU (which is little to do with the original Atom design) so as far as CPU power goes it's pretty darn beefy, and the Intel gpu isn't bad either.

If it sold without casing or the storage it'd probably be decently cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

baka kaba posted:

I think y'all are missing the point I'm making, and vastly overestimating the computer skills of the teachers (and assuming all these primary schools have a dedicated IT team to mess around with setting all this stuff up, or make purchasing decisions based on SATA throughput).

It's a little box with pins you can connect stuff to, and it comes with a visual programming language that lets kids (and teachers) get a handle on basic principles and still actually do something interesting on the screen or in the real world. It's small and light enough to stick inside things you build. You can plug it into an old TV if that's all you have. It's cheap enough for kids to take outside the school, and if/when anything goes wrong it's no big loss. It comes with friendly documentation, and projects, and lesson plans, and a community based around using it in an education setting. Fixing 'software problems' or replacing the Pi itself is as simple as swapping out the SD card.

For what it is, it can do an incredible amount and has a ton of potential, which is why it's been such a big hit. It's nowhere near perfect, and for technical people (and schools with decent IT support) there may be better options now - which again, really depends on who's going to be using it, the background of the teacher, the available educational material, and what they need to do with it. But all that stuff up there is why they created the Pi, so it's a bit weird to say 'using Pis as school computers never made sense' when that's exactly the situation they were specially designed for. They're not intended to replace all the PCs in the computer lab or anything

I think you're vastly underestimating the abilities of teachers in schools that have already had computers for at least a decade if not more. Or the difficulty of teaching computer stuff when your district simply shells out for training the teachers instead of buying a bunch of Raspberry Pis and the neccesary equipment to actually use them.

Kids can't actually take the devices outside school and use them effectively without also having spare equipment at home, which most of them won't have. And the pins are utterly irrelevant to teaching basic computer stuff. The actual computers your schools have will have plenty of visual programming languages and other such things to use.

The Raspberry Pi is in no way easier for your random school teacher to use then the computers they already have access to. They may have tried to design them for that, but they failed.