Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

I have a Raspberry PI (256MB Model B) that's been running Raspbian pretty solid for over a year. I recently picked up a BeagleBone Black and have been decently impressed with the performance improvement over the Pi. Overall I've seen a good 20% improvement in the BBB compiling with GCC and running things like UnixBench. Part of that can be attributed to the 1GHz clock speed of the Cortex-A8 vs 700MHz on the Pi, but I think the architectural improvements between ARM11 and the Cortex-A8 play a role as well.

The downside to the BBB is definitely platform maturity. There's a much smaller community base to draw ideas and support from, and they're on the fourth or fifth hardware revision already due to issues that have been popping up. My unit died after a week and had to be shipped back for reflashing.

Overall not a bad deal at $45 MSRP, but lack of availability has been driving the price higher at the few distributors that actually do have them in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

There's a "wdctl" utility in util-linux that you can use to query it, though it's locked while the watchdog service is running.

Mantle posted:

I can't find any primary source documentation about this. Is this part of all rpi hardware since the rpi 1? Do all rpis have the hardware to do this? Is it part of the hardware implemented by Broadcom or the RPi Foundation?

Every Pi SoC has it, the Linux kernel will report it as "Broadcom BCM2835 Watchdog timer" which is the SoC from the Pi 1 but it's compatible with them all. My Pi 5 reports that when I start the watchdog service against it. You can grep . /sys/class/watchdog/*/* to check for it.

Modern Intel CPUs have them as well, accessible through the kernel's iTCO_wdt driver.