Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Rutibex posted:

I wonder what Alen Turing would say about people in the future using a 1.4ghz quad core processor as desk clock, because they can't think of anything better to do with it.

It’s ok, Moore would understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Skarsnik posted:

I've recently rebuilt a home server that ( amongst many other things) had WireGuard on there. This time round I thought I'd try out the pivpn script and just run it on my pihole

Super impressed with how slick it was, even for something relatively 'easy' to set up like wg

The adding of users and easy generation of qr codes for mobiles is particularly good

I’d like to hear about this... are you running it in Docker? Or on the bare metal?

Did you follow a tutorial you could link here? Thanks!

e: I should add, I’ve been running pihole in Docker using macvlan and now I want to run everything that way. Is that a bad idea?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Not sure where this question should go but I’ll start here. I created a standalone Pi camera for my wife for her birthday. She loves taking pics, video, time-lapse, etc and the raspberry pi with camera module was something I had already and I went ahead and made her one using a github project I found. You can control the camera completely through a web interface hosted on the pi. Works great on WiFi in our house.

But I was thinking, if we take it on a trip it would be cool to just have it use our iphones hotspot. Of course, then the phone can’t talk to it, since the devices on the network are rightly segregated.

I was thinking of getting around this using a vpn or wireguard maybe? Two devices could be on the same network that way, correct? It doesn’t need a lot of bandwidth, it’s a really simple interface on the pi in html on Apache on port 80. We’d wait until we got home to get stuff off of it.
Does this sound feasible? Is there an easier way I’m not thinking of?

Bonus points for being able to do it completely offline, like if we were in a remote area out of cell range, but that isn’t strictly necessary. Let’s start off saying the phone will I’ve internet access.

edit: Here's the software I used in case it helps/matters
https://github.com/silvanmelchior/RPi_Cam_Web_Interface
https://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface#Installation_Instructions

namlosh fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 17, 2020

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

If I'm understanding your setup correctly, you should be still able to access the camera if it's connected to your iphone hotspot. But maybe it's an iphone thing.

The way I usually do with my ESPs (cameras or otherwise) is that they act as the access point, and I connect to them with my phone/laptop whenever needed.Then it's not dependent on any existing infrastructure. I don't know how exactly it's done with the Pi, but after a quick search it should be possible.

Hmmmm, I hadn’t thought of that. Making the pi camera a WiFi hot spot and having the iPhone connect to it would be a way to go. Wouldn’t need internet while it’s just controlling the camera. Is there an easy setting for configuring the pi as a WiFi hot spot? If anyone knows chime in, but I’m sure I can google it.

Thanks!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Pertinent to the discussion, I’ll also suggest going with Docker. It rules.
Look into PORTAINER.io while you’re at it. I like it.

Buuuut, I ran into an annoying problem that seems to be platform specific with the network driver.

For maximum separation, I wanted to run everything in containers using a MacVlan network, which works great until you try to add a second container to it. I looked all over for a solution to the problem but couldn’t find any.

The only way I was successful was to use an old laptop with full Ubuntu server on it. Then I was able to get multiple containers working on the same macvlan network. Maybe they’ll fix it soon, but I don’t have my hopes up. It’s broken on MacOS as well and has been for a while unless anybody has any suggestions.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Warbird posted:

Are you doing it manually or with yaml? I would assume it would just me a matter of passing the network as the custom macvlan which ought to be easy enough via docker-compose.

I have tried both... neither worked... docker-compose didn’t even work on the Ubuntu machine

I’m pretty sure I did it right, even though I’m not an expert. It gave me a weird kernel error, which I googled and it seemed to point to a bug in the network driver. Same for when I tried on macOS. Couldn’t even find any reference to people running multiple containers in a macvlan network on a pi. At least not where I looked... maybe my google-fu is failing me. I’d love to be proven wrong if someone says they have it working and can post the docker create commands.

That’s how I knew something was up. Phone posting so I can’t easily find it but there was an example of creating two alpine containers and having one ping the other and it just would not work on a pi OR macOS. Worked fine on Ubuntu

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

mod sassinator posted:

Something to consider too, if you're going down the rabbit hole of segmenting your docker containers into individual vlans, etc. you might just want to go full kubernetes. In the kubernetes world you get strict container network segmentation (well, reasonably strict.. it depends on your cluster), service discovery with DNS, and all kinds of other great stuff for free. With k3s, k3d, kind, minikube, etc. it's very straightforward to get a kubernetes cluster up and running even on a Pi (IMHO try k3s, it's a good balance of power and ease of use). These days I just use docker for simple single container or one-off things, and when stuff gets more complex I go straight to k8s.

Is kubernetes applicable to something like a pihole or vpn server? If so, got any recommendations for tutorials?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Did you mess with the config.txt at all? Aren’t most of the big display and sound options in there?

I want to use a pi as an alarm clock and the headphone jack is totally fine for that use. So if you figure it out, please post.

Anybody know any good headless alarm clock software For the pi? Maybe with a slick web interface?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

In the link you gave, look in the “often bought together” section on amazon:

your link

the component

I don’t know for sure, but looks simple enough, read the reviews

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

The only thing I’ve found that it really does break is a lot of the “deals” sites... sites that list discounts for stuff and when you click to get more info, they send you through a gauntlet of redirects so that they can get $ from a bunch of different affiliates or whatever.

Pihole can stop those dead, so if you really want to buy/see the item, you’ll have to disable it for a bit or add a bunch of sites to whitelist.

In my case, it gives me a pause to think about whether I really need more crap... so I love the issue, but YMMV :)

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I run both, but I gotta say pihole is useful no matter what...

plus I can whitelist in pihole as easily as I can whitelist in ublock. If I somehow made it sound hard then that’s on me. It’s not

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

i vomit kittens posted:

Well I got the model running and it took my Pi 4 about 58 minutes of sitting at 99% RAM usage to generate the following:

Last time I tried to mess with this I was looking into converting the GPT-2 model to a TensorFlow Lite model but many of the operations it uses weren't supported by Lite.

This is actually cooler than suggested by the content lol

I assume you’re using GPT-3 now, right? Using your own dataset to train or what? I need more info! :)

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Ha! This made me think of the fact that I have an ancient 19” monitor that’s takes vga and dvi

I’ve been using a spare active hdmi -> vga converter... but I have a bunch of those hdmi to dvi adaptors lying around!

I also have the dvi -> vga adapters you used to get with graphics cards, but I suspect that doesn’t work, right? The graphics card had to be doing something special to make those work

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Fwiw, I just installed Volumio onto a pi3b and it’s amazing. The girlfriend loves the interface and the tons of webradio stations she can get. I had an old receiver with hdmi so just hooked it up that way (just for audio). I even bought the iOS app and that works great. We are not Spotify users... I just set up a share to my iTunes library. She loves it.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

dupersaurus posted:

My first raspi project has been a camera for my bird feeder. Someone I showed it to expressed interest in the code, so I cleaned it up and made it public, and I figured I'd share it here, too.

Camera: https://github.com/jdpdev/birbcam
Web server/interface: https://github.com/jdpdev/birbserver

There's still a bit of work to do to get it to set-and-forget v1, but it runs real well. Right now I'm focused on getting v1 done, but next on the list is adding machine learning to identify the bird; I've done some tests with tensor flow and a model someone's published, just need to get it integrated to the camera.

HQ camera with the standard 16mm lens, and a case from Ardufruit that I paid someone to print for me. I have ideas for improving the case, but that's for later.

And some action shots. That last one was taken with an Arducam lens which requires a different camera calibration (thus the tint), but fortunately I have a lead on fixing that without having to recompile raspicam.

[Edit] And the debug console that shows what's going on

This is awesome... I’m quoting so I can follow up later. I’ve been looking into DeepStack to do AI image recognition of cars and people but I’m only starting out.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Ffycchi posted:

Dual pihole/unbound in HA configuration.

How’d you do this? Is it one set of statistics or two? How do you keep the gravity updates in sync? Also local host lists...

Mines running on an old laptop as a container and it’s stable, But it burns me up that a single point of failure could bring everything down

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Does anybody have a recommendation on a high quality camera for a pi?

I was looking at this one:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/621303/raspberry-pi-hq-camera-for-raspberry-pi-4

But it’s out of stock locally and then on Amazon I saw a bunch of others that seemed nice or better. Does anyone have any experience with any other ones or is this my best bet?

We’ve been using one of our pi’s with the standard camera to take time lapses… it’s pretty awesome. We left it running during a thunderstorm and got a couple of really good lightning pictures that I’ll never get tired of :) I’m now looking to upgrade

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

tuyop posted:

I think the way to go is to grab a used DSLR that is compatible with gphoto2. Like a Canon 60D can probably found for <$400 and it’ll give you so much better value than any RPi ribbon camera. There are even some nice point & shoots on that list that will do time lapses really nicely.

Wow, I hadn’t even heard of this… I’ll look into it, thx

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I’d say try to format it using this:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

If that doesn’t work, I’d say the card is dead

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Neat project, thanks for sharing…

I long for the day when the the compute power and models are good enough that most of the useful stuff can be accomplished locally and the gains from shipping our personal data everywhere in the cloud are only on specialized edge cases.

Plus, Tensor Processing Unit sounds badass

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

flongofthenight posted:

Don't know if anyone can help with my weird fussy problem ... I asked on the crt pi reddit groups but they've slowed down a bit. I know the main problem is trying to use retropie (lakka and recallbox do this much better =I think) - but I'm just interested in forcing it through as a hobby at this point!

I have a Sony Trinitron connected to a Retropie 3B+ build using a HDMI->Component cheap adaptor (this model: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082HT11MH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I'm using it for Kodi and for a couple of emulated systems (mainly sega/playstation). At boot, in boot/config first I set the custom resolution using:

hdmi_cvt=1600 240 60 1 1 0 0

Then I change to CEA Mode 6 (480i) for retropie menus/Kodi. Runcommand then calls DMT 87 to change to the 240p mode, using;

hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=6

This works well, and there's no problem with Emulationstation, kodi or changing for emulators. I've found that I can use lots of different horizontal resolutions, and the two that work best are 720x240 and 1600x240. The problem with 720x240 though, is that it doesn't fit well with integer scaling (there are black bars on either side). Whereas 1600x240 scales perfectly, BUT has a large inch-sized area on the left hand side that can't be used (ie, if I adjust the viewport I can't move it into that area, it moves off screen!). This seems to happen with any 240p resolution that doesn't have a horizontal multiple of 720.

What I want to do is use hdmi_timings= to define a custom 1600x240 mode as I used to with the Retrotink (then I can change the porch to get rid of the dead area on the left. BUT, any timing I've used has just resulted in loss of sync, blue screen/no display. Usually this needs then a complete reset of the converter.

Does anyone know;

- Why does custom_cvt 1600x240 work but hdmi_timings not work?
- Is there a hdmi_timings= setting for 1600x240 that someone's got working through this kind of converter?

Overscan didn't help (seems to just not be a usable area of screen), nor did using 320x240 modes (as it doesn't play nice with the playstation games that run at 640x480 :(

Thanks!

Man I wish I could help here… I tried for a while to get the pi working with my CRT with some success. But most of that knowledge is now gone. I’m surprised /r/crt_gaming isn’t able to help. There was a guy making custom retropi images called RGBPI that seemed to solve a lot of the setup problems.

Plus, I was using the Gert vga 666 rather than an hdmi converter. It seemed like it worked fine, but I was interested in arcade games and those can be incredibly fiddly to get working right.

I will say that you may be at the mercy of the converter for most settings and I’d be surprised if tweaking “front porch” or any of that crt timings stuff would have an affect at all. Good luck!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

This is what I do… screw using the pi for a critical network service

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Someone in this thread got that working iirc… and gave really awesome, clear instructions on how he did it. I still managed to gently caress it up and gave up soon after. But it was awesome that he got it to work. I’m on my phone or I’d search for it

E: should have mentioned it was netbooting he had working

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I made one and couldn’t believe how easy and amazing it was. By made, I mean I put the camera on the pi and flashed the Sd card. It was almost totally turnkey. Can’t imagine using a webcam would be too different. I’ll have to look it up later, but you should be able to find it. PiCam or something… I think this thread tipped me off to it

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

deong posted:

I just found Motion; so I have that grabbing photos. Looks like that's working.
Now i just need to slap the pics into a video.

Nice, I’ll have to check that out… the one I’m using is this:
https://github.com/silvanmelchior/RPi_Cam_Web_Interface

It works pretty well… I’d then use ffmpeg to put the images together. I can look up the script if you need it

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Hadlock posted:

I saw that there's a RISC-V powered raspberry pi zero W clone for sale. Ordered a 1GB ram model, has WiFi and Bluetooth, some kind of mini HDMI and two USB-C ports, plus standard 40 pin raspberry pi pinout. Oh and it's an allwinner D1 CPU/soc

Booted right up, this is a RISC-V build of Armbian Linux dated July 28, 2022

The silkscreening on the PCB says 20220627 so it's pretty new

The big deal is that RISC-V is a totally new clean sheet CPU architecture, it is neither x86/x86-64 based, nor is it ARM. The CPU spec is also open source, out of Berkeley, kind of in the spirit of BSD

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC-V

random article: https://circuitdigest.com/article/understanding-risc-v-architecture-and-why-it-could-be-a-replacement-for-arm

Ordered it here, was about $40 shipped and arrived from China to the east coast in less than 2 weeks

https://m.es.aliexpress.com/item/1005004372856686.html

Haven't been able to play with it further because it prompts you to create a password and in 2022 I no longer have a USB keyboard so that's on order too, whoops

This is super cool, thanks for the write up.

There’s a YouTuber named Andrei Speiss (?) I think who’s super into open source maker stuff and he’s how I learned about RISC-V. It sucks that a lot of implementations of this stuff has closed source parts but that doesn’t look to be the case here hopefully.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Let me know when it’s stable and documented enough for an old guy like me and I’ll gladly jump on the train

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Thanks for this… I’ve got too many projects already but might as well throw another on the pile

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Run pi-hole as a vm/container on an old laptop or something. I have been for two years and I’ve never had a problem.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I just picked up a Heltec ESP32 with Lora built-in from Amazon. Forgot that I’d need two to play so the second one is on its way lol. It looks really nice though. Andre Speiss(?) on YouTube did a bunch of videos on Lora if anyone is looking/interested

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Vaporware posted:

I set up

https://birdnetpi.com/

over the holidays and it's a lot of fun. I'm running on a zero 2W and it's pokey but I dont want to sacrifice my only 4b to it yet.

Install instructions are complete if a bit hard to follow. you have to branch depending on hardware. They're willing to debug Pi alternatives too if you've got another board lying around.

I've even learned a bit more about stuff I should know like switching power supply noise and mic preamps. It was a huge headache trying to jump straight into this stuff thinking I knew it. It's the old adage that teaching someone completely fresh is easier.

https://github.com/mcguirepr89/BirdNET-Pi/discussions/39#discussioncomment-4634956

That’s cool!

By any chance does it detect bats along with birds?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Vaporware posted:

According to some of the guys they can detect them with their fancy mics, but the TensorFlow database/model doesn't include them. There is definitely interest in it.

According to the project owner it's more of a PI oriented wrapper around that TF model. So I think it would be possible to adapt it with a lot of work? They haven't updated the bird model since 2018 due to inexperience with the main birdnet model, but the main dev is very active and involved so he's totally open to stuff like that being added.

Huh, interesting. If it’s based on ML one would think it would be slam dunk easy to add them as just another bird. Just need a training sample of sounds… but I can see needing a better microphone maybe

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

FWIW, I have a pi running VolumIO upstairs for the bedroom and I hooked up the line-in of an amp using one of those HDMI -> VGA/Composite adaptors that does audio as well. It chugs along and works / sounds great.

Does the thread have a recommendation for something to power 4-5 Pi’s in close proximity to each other? I found a pi rack mount thing for cheap and want to put my pi’s in it in an organized way and power them all from the same adapter. I was thinking about it and I guess the theoretical max draw could be something like 10 amps at 5V? lol. So I’m hoping to get something that others have used and not burned their house down.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

wolrah posted:

If you're going rack mount there's always PoE, which also gains you the ability to remotely power cycle your Pis individually.

Otherwise I'd just look for a multiple USB power supply that fits your needs from a major brand like Anker. I have an Anker 6 port unit that has run a few Pi 3Bs and two streaming sticks at one time with no trouble. My 4 has always been PoE.

I had considered POE, I have some open POE ports on my switch, but it requires buying a hat for each one, right? I'm trying to keep costs down since I don't really have any idea what I'm going to use these Pi's for anyway. I used to use them for a bunch of stuff, but ended up setting up a couple of old laptops as a home lab and everything runs on those in containers now.

ante posted:

If I were to consider using a Raspi for a home theatre setup, is that an actual good solution?

Some considerations:

I have a projector that is only 1080p, and probably won't be upgrading any time soon. HDMI. So this part is no problem.

I will need to add a system of speakers. Ideally 5 around my place, along with a subwoofer. I have all the speakers, with the little automotive wire terminals. I also have a beefy amplifier with those terminal outputs, along with a ton of speaker wire. The amplifier can input HDMI, or some other formats I think.

The main problem is that I really do not actually want to run wire everywhere. I feel like, given a month or two (and lack of other commitments), I could hack together an RF system with a little amplifier for each speaker, so surely someone has done this already.

Anyway, I don't know the best to do this within my constraints (and cheap, ideally), and that might be out of scope for this thread! I also have an old Chromecast, which might be the better option, but I haven't played with it in a few years with which to see what kinds of things I can actually cast to it (random-rear end web video players, ideally).

This post is rambling, I apologize.

lol, it's all good by me. The make vs buy decision can be tough sometimes.

Is the pi4 8gb good enough for surfing around and watching youtube videos at 1080p? I'm currently running an old TV in my "lab" (spare room) using an ancient chromebook (Acer C720 I think? celeron processor) running Lubuntu and I'm curious whether a pi would be better in any way.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Does anyone know if it’s possible to tether an iPhone to a pi in order to get internet?
I know I can use the iPhone as a WiFi hotspot but would prefer a wired connection in this instance

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Mr.Radar posted:

It looks like the answer is yes, but you need to install some extra software: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/IPhone_tethering

Awesome, I’ll give this a try!

lol, why is documentation always like this though:

”from the doc above which I’m grateful for” posted:

Connect the iOS device and verify that usbmuxd.service is automatically started.

Next enable Personal Hotspot on your iPhone and plug it into your computer.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

cruft posted:

Probably the author was tired of helping people for 6 back-and-forth exchanges, only to discover they hadn't plugged the drat thing in.

Speaking from experience maintaining FLOSS.

That totally makes sense. I just remember the 90s when USB stuff you buy would say: “DONT PLUG THIS IN UNTIL YOU INSTALL THE SOFTWARE!!”
So ambiguity makes me nervous lol

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

xzzy posted:

Anyone got a favorite cluster case? I don't need a bulletproof metal box but those acrylic riser setups seem like they'd be prone to falling over.. need a little more mass to deal with the tug of ethernet cables. This would be for B units.

I'm not going to go crazy with this toy, probably 4 pi's max (so I don't have to buy a bigger PoE switch).

Not sure if it’s in the same spirit, but I got one of these rack mount pi holders at auction and it’s pretty cool. https://www.amazon.com/UCTRONICS-Removable-Raspberry-Mounting-Brackets/dp/B09D7RR6NY/
Thanks to pi standardization, I was able to get pi 1’s through pi4s in it.
Incidentally I just realized that after buying a new pi every generation, I have a ton of the freakin things lol

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

^^^^^^^ nice

I moved my pihole to an old laptop as a container and now I feel bad because I have all of these pi’s and the only one that’s in constant use is the one I have running VolumIo for my wife. That thing just keeps chugging along playing music for her lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, this video is a pro-click for those displays.

Keep us updated on how it goes… I really want that tech to get more availability/attention than it does currently. I just need to find a project I can use it for