Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I have two CM3s that apparently are going for about $200 now that I'm switching sd cards back and forth on.

The RPi foundation announced a couple months ago they were increasing production. Mostly RPi 4. I hope it shows up at the consumer end soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

cruft posted:

:confused: I'm gonna go measure my setup again.

I've been meaning to figure out how to measure per consumption for a while now. How do you do this?

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Sweet, thx

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Orange-Pi-Compute-Module-4-with-Rockchip-RK3566-launches-for-under-US-23.744503.0.html

Orange pi has a new compute module RPi 4 equivalent and it's $20 ish. I think I might wanna pick a couple of these up to experiment with.

I took a look at the specs and it's pretty different from the RPi 4. ARM Cortex A55 vs the A72 and the orange pi one is clocked at a higher freq in both cpu and GPU, but it also looks tuned for power consumption instead of performance.

Hard to say if one is faster or slower than the other, there's small tradeoffs here and there. It might not be noticeable for light workloads.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Klyith posted:

No, not hard to say, it will be well slower than a Pi 4. The 50s are in-order CPU designs and the 70s are out-of-order. That's the type of thing where GHz becomes irrelevant because the architecture difference is so big. Pi going from A53 in the 3 to A72 in the 4 is why the 4 was suddenly usable as a desktop for stuff like web browsing.

So that orange pi thing is gonna feel like a faster Pi 3, not like a slow 4. Which may be fine -- the 3 is totally adequate for all the IoT / home mini-server type jobs.

Oh I see. I didn't look into the differences very deeply, and I also wasn't aware that out-of-order made such a big performance leap (but I mean, it makes total sense now that I think about it).

tuyop posted:

Would you mind sharing what project you’ll be working on with one of these? I don’t really know what they’re for or even how to interface with them because they’re just like pin connectors on the board.

Lol sorry I have no idea at this point either. Probably using it in a Nintendo Switch knock off. Just speculating for the next year or so. These links might help?

Creating a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (CM4) Carrier Board in KiCad
what is the connector on CM4 called?

Also what the above two posters said.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Thanks Ants posted:

Low power and x86 chat made me remember that the Intel Compute Stick was a thing that existed for a while. I doubt anyone has ever had a slower experience using a PC. Half the CPU power of a Pi 4 trying to run Windows 8 off eMMC.

Oh man I remember seeing a glimpse of those once, too bad it doesn't seem like it was that great. But... maybe a raspberry pi could do it better. Gettin too many ideas for my own good 🤔🤔🤔

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

ante posted:

Don't worry. No good ideas survive their first encounter with a Raspberry Pi.

You're right. Whew, that was a close one!

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Pham Nuwen posted:

Fooling around with a Pi 4 and an 8 ohm speaker hooked up to GPIO pins (dtoverlay=audremap,pins_18_19 in config.txt). It is, of course, very quiet.

Bought a little PAM8403 amplifier board from Amazon and while it's louder, it also picks up a hell of a lot of noise from the onboard wifi. If I plug in headphones and listen very carefully, I can hear the same noise faintly there.

What's a better option for getting non-noisy audio out of this thing and into a speaker? I know it can do audio via HDMI, and then there's the option of a USB sound card... I assume most of my problem is that the wifi antenna goes right past the GPIO pin traces, because I only pick up noise when I'm actually connected to the pins (doesn't seem to be getting induced into the leads, I mean)

ante posted:

Back in the day, it was the HiFi Berry, and there were some clones / similar systems. Just good quality external DACs. I assume it's similar, still

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but Adafruit used to have this thing. It's an i2S stereo decoder. I have an extra one of these if Pham wants it.

They replaced it with the MAX98357 audio amp, but it doesn't come with an audio jack and its mono (you need to buy two for stereo).

I think the audio quality on both are really good. Low background noise all around.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

ante posted:

Honestly, I've been trying to come up with a good use-case for them for years, but they really are tailor-made for ereaders and almost nothing else.

I've seen a kickstarter for an instagram style camera where you plug in a small (5" ish) eink module and take photos directly to those. That was pretty cool though the price for eink is still so high that I'm not sure I'd want to spend so much on a gimmick. I think this would be a cool project but I'd want a color eink module and that's a minimum of a couple hundred right now.

Also saw another concept for an eink typewriter for people who want to write without distractions. That's basically an e-reader though.

Eink screens are cool. I too want to spend some time messing around with them eventually.

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 8, 2023

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

xzzy posted:

I finally finished my timelapse + camera remote shutter project

Hey that's fuckin neat! How do you take pictures with it? Do you need to program the intervals or is there another button to snapshot things?

Also what kind of UPS are you using for it?

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Fuuuuck that's cool. I want one now :haw:

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Tensokuu posted:

I dug my Pi 0 W1 out of the box it was sitting in, connected it to the USB OTG hub it came with, gave that power, and tried to install Batocera on it. The distro installs fine, but none of my controllers (an 8bitdo Pro 2, and Xbox Series X, and a [likely] knockoff Switch Pro Controller) can be seen by the Pi when plugged in via USB. If I plug in a USB keyboard I can't get that to register either; no caps lock, no num lock, nothing.

I wondered if maybe batocera was missing drivers or something. Retropie does the same thing. So does Recalbox. So now I am starting to think the USB hub is the issue (it's one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Smays-Ethernet-compatible-Raspbian-Raspberry/dp/B00L32UUJK ).

Honestly, I was only doing this so I could set up an emulation box so my 4 year old could play Mario and Sonic on the TV with the controller I bought him (so he'd stop trying to steal mine and my BILs).

I'm almost to the point of buying a used Wyse 5070 for $45 and installing batocera on that instead and slapping it behind the TV and calling it good. Suggestions?

I'm assuming all those controllers work fine on your other computers?

Do you have a USB micro cable you can use to plug one in directly to the rpi0's micro USB ports? Just to rule out the USB hub not working.

Also maybe you could try to pair a controller over Bluetooth or wireless. Batocera wiki has a page about that.

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 15, 2024

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Oh looks like they're for AR/VR things. That's pretty cool let me buy a cou-

$510??!?

Holy poo poo. Makes sense that they'd be that expensive though.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I could sell some plasma, buy a couple of those thingies, and pretend I'm a billionaire. No sweat :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

Good news, this one is 1080 and is only 450 dollars with the driver board. Though no little lens for actually seeing it though.

https://www.displaymodule.com/produ...2QVsdK8lUO4SeII

Whoa, so I thought 1000 nits was super bright, and I'm pretty sure it's at least enough to view outdoors in direct sunlight. I looked it up and even the iPhone 15 maxes out at 2000 nits. This screen can go one third brighter.

Doesn't seem safe, having something like that a couple inches away from your eyeballs. Why they do that :ohdear:

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 5, 2024