Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Any time I've watched a video or read an article about Pi alternatives, there seems to be a lot more drawbacks than that ltt vid. It seems that they skimmed over a lot of the software/os issues.
I only half watched the video while doing something else though so who am I to judge eh?
It'd be great to have a wider selection of well supported options though. Maybe that'll be the silver lining after a multi year shortage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Red line is pin 1 (iirc it's been a wee while)

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

tuyop posted:

Can anyone recommend a stock tracker for pi 4s in Canada?

Alternatively, anywhere I can reliably buy other sbc’s here?

Rpilocator.com lists pishop.ca as having Zero Ws in stock atm. (21 cad)

Seems to be a bit more stock in general recently. Mainly Zeros, 3s and a few lower spec 4s.
Hopefully this is the start of the production that they were talking about at the start of the year

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 10, 2023

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Looks like stock is still improving, like the raspberry pi man has been saying in interviews recently. I was sceptical initially as it was first mentioned at the start of the year, and nothing much seemed to change.
Zeros and 3As seem to be staying in stock ok, and even the 4s last more than a few hours now. CM4s and even the odd CM3s have appeared.
I got a zero to make a pseudo scsi thing for and old Akai sampler so that's cool. Use sd cards for 8 "hdd devices" rather than spend hundreds on one 30 year old 500mb hard drive. Good stuff.

Oh yeah, the raspberry guy has got the poshest English accent ever. Really hard to follow him, even as a brit who's heard plenty of posh English fuckers (usually barking orders and being entitled, though he seems to be a good egg)

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The interview on Jeff Greeling"s channel confirmed much improved pcie, so that should do it for decent USB finally. Tbh, it's really needed now, not in 2025 or whenever the new one comes out.
Personally I'd love to see emmc on the standard boards. Even as an option. I got used to using the CM4 and I don't miss sd cards.
I don't think they will though, but it'd be cool

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yeah, installing pi-hole isn't too hard to install if you're not very computer literate, just follow a guide. Fine tuning it and maintaining it is another thing.
Even as a self confessed tinkerer, it can be a total pita when something stops working at the wrong time.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

At time of writing rpilocator.com says there are pi zeros and pi 4 8gb, assuming USA and too many to list for the UK
Over the last week there been every version of the 4 and even some CM4s. Zero 2s as well.
Unless you need a specific model right now then they are much much easier to get at rrp from official sellers.
The drought isn't over, but it has definitely started

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

E paper chat has reminded me that I have a Pwnagachi project to finish.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

$60 for the 4GB $80 for the 8GB - efb-

Greeling"s video has more details

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

My pwnagotchi has an epaper face. I really need to get out of the house more and actually put him to some use
https://pwnagotchi.ai/

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Thanks Ants posted:

I feel completely seen off by that site having to write an explainer of what a Tamagotchi is was

Haha, now that I look at it myself, I get what you mean.
I'll let you search yourself though, my tips are not so good

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yeah the 5s are definitely pre order atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Arson Daily posted:

ive got a pi4 with the POEhat id like to run pihole on and the fan is loud as poo poo. if i disable the fan would that be not good?
Maybe try and fine tune it rather than just disable it

https://jjj.blog/2020/02/raspberry-pi-poe-hat-fan-control/