Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

VictualSquid posted:

Hadn't thought about it in some time, but has anybody ever developed a good way to reboot a headless rpi?
Mine might be crashed, but I had setup a script to reboot it if the network connection crashed. Now I am trying to remember what timeout I had set, before deciding whether to power-cycle it by pulling the plug.

And have there been any new developments on how to get a monitor and keyboard attached, except for a ludicrously priced wireless kvm.

You can try looking into using a hardware watchdog which should come with most rpis.

The nice thing about the watchdog is that it reacts when there is no activity. As in, if no one checks in with the watchdog, the watchdog reboots the machine. This works better than a process that reboots if it doesn’t detect a connection, since there is no recourse if the process crashes or otherwise is unresponsive (save for rebooting manually).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Warbird posted:

Do they now? What is it called/listed under? We have one opening next month and that’s a good excuse as any.

Depends on what you need, but they have variety packs of various things

electrolytic capacitors

https://www.microcenter.com/product/632685/inland-047uf-1000uf-electrolytic-capacitors-assortment-kit-13-values-200-pcs

ceramic capacitors

https://www.microcenter.com/product...-values-550-pcs

resistors

https://www.microcenter.com/product/618897/inland-1-4-watt-1-resistors-480-pack

also diodes, breadboards, and they usually have raspberry pi in stock

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

DerekSmartymans posted:

I put Raspberry Pi OS on my x86_64 Intel laptop from ~2011ish. It’s got a 128Gb SATA SSD, and 8Gb of RAM, that had been used as a ghetto NAS with a few Tb of old spinner-platter HDDs connected via SATA>>USB cables stacked on my dad’s old piano. It had been running the free version of TrueNAS Core.

Now it’s a simple Pi-Hole, from the downloads and instructions from pi-hole.net. Since that was all the laptop was going to be used for (plus 60Gb of old ripped CD mp3s and a backup of my Kindle/ePub collection), I just used the curl | bash script directly from the official website…I think I had the whole thing up and running in less than 10 minutes.

Now I can use my surplus-from-my-BiLaw Pi 0w and Arduino nano(s) to make an oscilloscope for a fun project as I break out my multimeter and soldering iron. I’m brushing up on basic electronics from an online learning platform, and I’m having the time of my life working and (re)learning . I have an old 1st gen 15” square flat panel Sony monitor (still has a VGA connection as the only interface) that I’m thinking of using for the future oscilloscope screen. I do have an HDMI>>VGA cord, and I know the Pi 0w has a (mini?)HDMI out. Hopefully I can find some components knocking around various drawers/online ordering to make the thing work, as there are Instructables and official blogs doing just that!

I didn’t really have any reason for posting other than being excited about future projects and drinking a cappuccino at 11:30 on a Monday night :downswords:. I might X-post this in the general Linux thread, because I’m still definitely a n00b enough with the Pi/PiOS ecosystem that I’m sure I’ll have a bunch of questions as I go. My hope is that I can get beyond simply “following a recipe”-type work and actually understand what I’m doing as I go along.

Sounds like fun! I’d love to hear more about it in this thread when you make progress.

It hasn’t ever really occurred to me that arduinos and rpi devices could be repurposed into an oscilloscope… I should probably look into that, particularly because of the pio capabilities of the pi nano.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

DerekSmartymans posted:

I also saw this:

:eyepop:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Warbird posted:

Is there any good guidance on hardening a Pi or similar for edge work in a less than hospitable environment? I have an ADSB Pi doing its thing up in my attic but the combination of humidity/heat/cold throughout the year has something failing fairly often and usually requires a power cycling to get working again. It's a Pi2 iirc so that's not helping anything, but I also suspect the SD cards are also not super happy as those have to get cycled fairly often despite log2ram and making sure I'm using "quality" ones.

Any suggestions? Doesn't even have to be a Pi, though I do have a couple that could be put to the task.

Pi should be fine. If you can completely eliminate any writes to the sd card as much as feasible, you’ll get much more life out of it. Alternatively, you can put a usb drive on it and write to it.

You can try enabling the watchdog so that the device can reboot if it crashes.

One thing you should check is the power supply. Make sure you have a decent cable and that you put out enough volts to prevent undervoltage, which could lower the lifespan of your parts. You may even want to replace it just in case, since a power supply running continuously will certainly be running hot and thus have a lower lifespan.

The pi2 has some interesting deficiencies. Maybe try a pi1 if you have a spare?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cruft posted:

Alpine Linux has an operating mode specifically for this. I've been using it on my homelab pi for about a year now and it's friggin' great.

I should try out alpine linux, it sounds baller

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

eightysixed posted:

Gonna be a balla, shot calla, Alpine Linux right runnin’ on the Pi servah, ballin, gettin laid tonight I want my way, the better way, yeahhhhh.

:hai:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

eightysixed posted:

There shall not be any yankin’ itt

:mods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Well, with the adoption of RISC V going higher and the continuing interest in using it in hobbyist situations, I think that there are enough small business and talented hobbyists that would be down to beef up a good implementation.

Until then, there’s enough profit in maintaining goodwill that I think raspberry pi will keep maintaining their current and legacy platforms.

Besides, due to how much demand there is, they are quite happy with churning out good product at the current prices. Makes for a good prototype board!