Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003
I'm really interested in this project, as one of the stated aims is to get kids interested in "proper" programming; now, it's great that they've put together what looks like a nice bit of cheap hardware, but for me the interesting bit (and make-or-break) of the project will be the software.

Personally, I got started with programming on the BBC Micro. This was a great system, because I was able to get up and running really quickly (I guess at the age of about 9-10 or so?) drawing some cool stuff on the screen, with everything integrated and ready to go the moment the machine was switched on; no frustrating OS settings, installations or libraries to have to screw around with. Stuff like LOGO (a simple language where you entered/scripted commands to direct a "turtle" to draw lines on the screen) really made me "get" the fundamental ideas behind programming. Then I took IT in secondary school, and was disheartened when it was all about Word and Excel.

Now, it'd be great to think the Pi will be a platform for introducing this kind of "fun" element into school-level computing education, but I do wonder at exactly how it's going to be used in lessons. I know people slate BASIC, but I think it's that sort of language-level in terms of simplicity that would be needed for the sort of level I'm thinking of; e.g. a class of 10 year olds, with exercises along the lines of "here's a program that draws a square. Modify it so it draws a triangle" . Probably the closest/most suitable thing I've seen in recent years is Processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003

thelightguy posted:

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, but I'm curious how hard it is to interface with the I2C bus. I found a bunch of low-cost 16 channel LED drivers that use I2C for control, and would love if they have basic "send 'blah' to 'address'" drivers so I could do all the work in userland without having to write any kernel-mode drivers.

The appeal of having my own personal (monochrome/low resolution) jumbotron is too much to pass up. :v:

Which led drivers are you looking at? I'm looking at some led projects, am on the lookout for some cheap drivers!

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003
That manual looks fantastic. I was a bit sceptical that the Pi would be used for teaching programming, but I can see the Scratch language being used really effectively in the classroom.