Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

As a Canadian, I can only feel hurt and left out - in that the rPi foundation purposely flipped the bird at the US and gave priority to the UK - but somehow left out their confederates just above those who they were pissing off :(

Lukano fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

LastCaress posted:

-Raspberry guys tweeting on how it's entirely the distributor's fault. Come on, you were the ones that chose them, maybe you could've programmed the launch a little better. Also really annoying reading stuff like "well we managed to keep our site up, which isn't true (it was down for a while) and unfair since they reverted to a static page, which the other sites can't do.

But maybe I'm just grumpy because I got up so early :P

This kind of sums it up for me. I admit, I still *desperately* want one for XBMC purposes - but I also feel like I've been trolled at the same time.

Not only was the launch so EU-centric that it forced their EU buyers to set alarms ~2hrs before normal - they also failed to account for even a fraction of a fraction of the global demand. (Oh right, they also encouraged middle aged GMT- folks to stay well past midnight on a weeknight.)

AAAAAND they naively signed up with mfr/distrib agencencies that were EU-centric (or at the very least, offered portals to buy/ship for everyhwere buy NA (I might add, I as a Canadian am incredibly put out by this) and also 'ran out' and started' build-on-demand orders (ahem, pre-orders) so quickly that it was almost sleight-of-hand.

But really, I'm not bitter or anything :v

Lukano fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 29, 2012

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah I keep pretty up to date on the rPi website, forums, and twitter - but I've seen no mention of August. My element14 order page also still shows April 2nd as the (estimated) ship date.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Fingers crossed it was just a snafu on element14's end ; https://twitter.com/#!/Raspberry_Pi/status/185060331012374529

quote:

@Raspberry_Pi
Some in the US are reporting an email saying your order has been moved back to August - not right, and we're getting it looked into.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

My guess is that it's a comedy of errors at play. Hundreds of nerds are refrshing their Newark/e14 order status' many times a day (I'm one too, I admit) and thus quite a large handful noticed the (erronous) ETA change in short notice.

If I had to guess, some data entry monkey was to push the Apr 3rd ship date out a bit to Apr 16th. Instead, the monkey - who was using drop-down calendar entry, or something equally error-prone - accidentally hit 'A' twice and thus set it for August instead of April. Or at least it sounds plausible as I've been that monkey myself at least once over the years in various jobs.

And thus e14/newark customer service doesn't know what the gently caress, the rPi foundation doesn't know what the gently caress, and everyone's dodging blame and subtly pointing fingers while everyone sorts what from the gently caress.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Eh I'm not totally surprised. Both RS and Farnell have been more than open about the fact that due to the sheer volume of rPi orders, their lawyers are making GBS threads bricks about distributing non-certified boards that may leak and/or be susceptible to interference, at that volume.

Its really just another sign of the rPi foundations naivete, as they didn't really grasp the demand for their product - nor the consequences of signing away distribution to RS/Farnell. Not really their fault, but still shows a lack of foresight.

edit - also, RS and Farnell have been bitching about / hinting at certification for a week now. So it's not a *huge* surprise.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Eh, it's not like Farnell or RS aren't making anything off the deal, so I could see them sharing a portion of the cost to certify the boards so they can fulfill the thousands of idle orders.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Yes they are. I have no idea why they are, as both RS and Farnell have stated it's just the EU that concerns them re: shipping 'dev boards' without CE... but alas, many of us North Americans are also seeing the delay.

Also sup Javid :D

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Wow kudos to Newark/Element14 for having their act together now. Glad I went with them over RS.

They played ping pong with my delivery date for a while, up to and including pushing it back by two weeks the day before it was due to ship. Then I happened to check again yesterday and wow, it had already shipped (a week before expected). Then purolator just showed up and my door and handed off the package.

Time to go find something to power this thing. I'm pretty sure I don't have any old phone chargers, or even a powered usb hub, anymore.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Also for the XBMC testing crowd, openelec is not at release candidate yet, but if you search on their wiki for 'raspberrypi' theres instructions on installing it from both source (you'll need a *nix box to compile it yourself) or from some dudes precompiled image/pack.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

I'm really really impressed with Raspbmc's performance. I got a bunch of errors when installing it, something about SD card left open for write from last operation or somesuch, but I hand waved them away and the install persisted.

Menu navigation within xbmc isn't nearly as painful as I was lead to believe it would be, and I'm pretty picky - I use XBMC on 3 TV's in the house, and have been using XBMC since it was the hot new kid on the old XBOX1.

There's a few wrinkles that I'm sure will get ironed out with a release or two, and some development time from both raspbmc and the XBMC teams, but I'm loving sold. First chance I get I'm going to snap up another two or three or four of these (both to replace the two other HTPC's in the house, but also finally get that kitchen-puter together, and a small terminal for the basement).

Not to mention the dozen of other goofy projects that have occurred to me.

Suffice to say, I'm very pleased with the results of the rPi thus far. I had high hopes, and tried really hard to ignore the naysayers over the past 5 months of waiting, but it's paid off in spades for my purposes.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

kcncuda71 posted:

One thing you could look into is Hexxeh's firmware updater. It allows you to change how much memory is dedicated to the CPU and how much is going to the graphics. By default I think only 64Megs of memory is dedicated to the graphics, so more graphics memory may help. Here's the link:
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update

Good call, I'll give that a try Sunday perhaps, if not then early next week - and report back.

Does anyone know if the SoC that's doing most of the heavy lifting for decoding anyways, is more reliant on ram allocated to GPU or CPU (or does it matter?).

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

On the topic of squeezing some extra juice of these things, here's some math and notes from Dom, a 'friend of the foundation' that's had an rPi in his hands since day #1 - and running it overclocked the entire time.

Upping the CPU to 1ghz requires overvolting, which will void the warranty. 900mhz on the other hand does not, and still offers a 20-25% overclock that people have said is *very* noticeable, especially on desktop stuff like debian/midori which has been suffered from lack of optimization so far.

http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt#Overclocking_options

There's also a bunch of other neat boot-time options you can play with in that config, for everything from tweaking hdmi/component output for some displays, to overclocking.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

This RaspBMC stuff sounds very promising, and I got an email today about probably being able to order by the end of this week.

That said, I thought of another possible application for this thing. Will it run a webcam? Enough to record an hour or two of travel if I were to put it in my car? Can you power if off the cigarette lighter? I've been thinking about building a forward and backward recording system for when some rear end in a top hat inevitably runs into me, and RaspPi seems like it would be ideal for that sort of thing.

Are you on one of the 'sign up to express interest in ordering and we'll let you know when you can' lists, or are they genuinely at the point now that they're about ready to open up free for all orders? I ask as I'd like to grab myself another couple of these post-haste :P

As for the second question(s), yes all around. The rPi will have its own special 5mpx camera that connects to the device via a ribbon cable (they've demo'd it, but its not available for order yet), plus you could do what you want from a regular old cheap usb webcam.

The device could be powered from a cigarette lighter with the proper cable/inverter, or just use a power inverter plugged into the socket, and a usb->wall-plug power cable from there. Heck, the rPi can also technically be run from a battery pack (the initial figures were 8-12x AAA's powering the device under load for up to a week or somesuch. No idea if anyones put that to the test yet or not).

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Nobody should be paying for an access/order code. Newark/Element14 has a notice up on their 'sign up' page stating that they expect to have units available for order (without having to express interest and wait for a code) by July 5th. They're still estimating 6-8wks until delivery once orders are placed, but thats no different from anyone who has used an order code the past few months.

I would expect RS/Allied will be in the same position shortly too.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

I paid $38.88 CAD to me in Canada from Newark Canada. I think they'll be closer to $43-44 shipped now, but mine was ordered in the first 24hrs after launch and they had to honor some mistskenly low shipping costs I believe.

Order from Newark if you're North American as they don't dropship across the pond like RS/Farnell/Allied.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

WoG posted:

If you want just xbmc, there are even more specialized solutions like openelec. Browse the media center subforum at raspberrypi.org

I think you're confusing Raspbian (desktop distro) with RaspBMC/XBian/OpenElec (media center distros all running XBMC and pretty much only XBMC).

The general consenus is XBian, as its the mst responsive of the various xbmc distro candidates currently.

As for the guy above looking for an alternative to RS, try Newark/Element14.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

haunted bong posted:

Got a shipping notification email.

EDIT: Which would be better to use, a usb wifi dongle, or hooking it up directly via ethernet cable? Because after looking at the wiki, I think my usb adapter is one that is supported, but requires a powered hub(I'm not entirely sure, to be honest)

If wiring it to ethernet is at all possible, thats always going to be the superior choice, both network performance wise as well as potential additional power being drawn by the usb wifi causing odd issues as some have reported in this thread.

Really with anything, if It's not a handheld or mobile device, always wire it if you can.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

How is the Raspberry Pi streaming over 802.11n with 720p/1080p mkv's?

Equally as awful as any device. Period.

You lazy assholes need to stop trying to rely on wifi. Cable it up, I don't care what your landlord says, be ingenious and innovate. Wifi simply won't be a proper long-term solution. Period.

Now stop making me want to stroke out at the ripe old age of 32. I'm not just talking at the person i quoted here, but seriously, just stop.

Worst case scenario with wifi is like 3 things;

1- you look like a noob to your post-secondary frat-buds when you wire up while they wifi.
2- you spend an extra $36 dollars at monoprice for enough cat-#.
3- you spend another $3 or $4for a strip of tape to match your baseboards so you can run $36 worth of cat-# to your destination.

Maybe sometimes a 4- for people who live in cement buildings in Taiwan like a Goat, and your wife(s parents) won't let you do the above. If so..... I'm sorry :(

Lukano fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 5, 2012

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

DNova posted:

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet, but there is an offer from EDIS for free r.pi colocation in Austria. It might be very interesting to some of you.

https://manage.edis.at/whmcs/cart.php?gid=6

And if anyone with a brain hadn't already discounted the rPi as a feasible colo-box....

Even if the rpi is free and i get to keep it when i cancel, I'm not comfortable with an rPi for even kind-of-critical hosting.

Edit -infact its been discussed itc long ago, so before i get challenged to prove why-not, I'll encourage DNova or any other rPi datacenter advocates to just go ahead and explain Why first.

Lukano fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 5, 2012

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

DNova posted:

I have a VPS that I use every day that is less capable than an r.pi... not everyone has need for lots of hardware in a remote box...

And you are mistaken about the referral ID. You really think a referral ID would be "6"? And why would they give out any kind of referral bonus for getting more people into a FREE service?

Honestly, what is your problem? This is a really cool thing if you want some remotely hosted hardware for almost no cost. Maybe it's not for you, so just move on to another thread.

Yeah yeah, you got me with your quicksilver response. My bad, i was wrong, read my posthumous edit above.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

I'm making a new reply, just incase DNova beats me to the punch again.

The rPi fondation folks, including their own host, have tried hosting anything but hobby-sites on rpi's (even with a solid backbone behind it). By and large, its just not capable (or ready?) for that kind of load. Period. Go ask them if you don't believe me, it was 'big news' back during the early days after launch, for the 7-8 of us reading the rPi blog at the time :v

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

DNova posted:

I don't think you understand that not everyone has mission critical server needs.

And i don't think you understand that everyone is not* as gullible as you appear to be.

You can find $15/yr ovz vps's that'll outperform an rpi for hosting purposes.

Edit -* forgot the not

Lukano fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 5, 2012

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Ok, i'll admit i perhsps kneejerked to an offer that sounded too good to be true.

So i can buy an rPi, sd card, and sufficient power cable, and ship it to austria where it'll be hosted, in what i assume must be a reliable and trustworthy datacenter, for free, then shipped back to me when i say boo?

This DC would also have no issue if i were to set up FDE, as they aren't actually supporting my device?

Honestly, my sarcasm is beyond my control at this point, as i fail to see what benefit such a venture would net a rather innocuous host in Eastern-Europe.

Edit - if you're advocating this as a slight shady, but still technically free, vpn/shell/proxy/tor-node, just come on out and say it and stop beating around the bush. We're all grownups itt.

Lukano fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 5, 2012

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

DNova posted:

Also, Austria is Central Europe ;)

Yeah, i know (now). :P

Edit -ok fine i'm mollified to an extent. Now i'm comparing this against the cost/risk of the current multi-user, fde, irc/etc shell i run for ~10+ folks.

Edit2 - i was born wearing tinfoil, what can i say ?! :P

Lukano fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 5, 2012

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Speaking of XBian, anyone know how to make it so I don't see kernel messages in the background / black borders on 4:3 content? I didn't have this problem with Raspbmc, and while I knew it used to be an issue with XBian, I would have thought it'd be fixed by now.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Jamsta posted:

Not Xbian, but Debian:

http://forum.plop.at/index.php?topic=193.0

Worth a try?

Ok thats just too simple. Slapfights between the xbmc-distros aside, thats so trivial to prevent/fix that I'm now also disgusted with the Xbian guy. Super-trivial things have no business on the backburner, ESPECIALLY when you're trying to win a popularity contest.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Well, yeah, it might... But then, whats a week or four or five for a ~$3.68 savings. (old model *may* still be more accessible than the new. Run both orders in parallel and cancel the laggard, in my opinion.)

If nothing else, Newark has long since demonstrated that their leadup dates are worst case scenarios meant to be broken for the better, or communicated and apologized for if not.

RS/Farnell on the other hand still doesn't seem to give a flying gently caress. Consumers? Psh, RS/Farnell only deals with large scale entities that don't care if their needs are pushed back indefinitely without explanation to lowly consumers.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

There's really no guide needed, nor any 'programming' experience required.

Flash an image of something like Openelec or Xbian to an the SD card, pop SD card into Pi and power up, wait until you see XBMC and treat it as you would XBMC on Windows. Done deal.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah it plays 1080p mkv's just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

CEC also works great in openelec builds of xbmc/kodi, and have since Frodo / openelec 3.x builds.