Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
The nerdrage on that charitable endeavour's website comments section is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Me, I just want a XBMC platform that can plug into, sit on the back of my HDTV and handle a CEC adapter (Just like everyone else really)

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Would a usb-powered fan be possible, or even necessary? love to see the stress test benchmarks.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

silversum posted:

Looks like I missed UPS with my delivery today. I never got a shipment notification, or really any notification outside of order received months ago, but that just made it a nice surprise to come home to! Now to make a nice case for it.

I was thinking something simple and plastic I can velcro to the back of my television, or just turning a block of wood into a nice looking and 'hidden' computer case. The options I've found online all look like they were lasercut from a sheet of plastic.

Seen this yet? There is no reason it can't be made of thin plastic card, scored and folded in the right places.

Hell, a plastic business card box with holes in the right place should work.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

For anyone thinking about picking one of these up, they are releasing a 2.0 shortly.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/09/06/1331244/raspberry-pi-revision-20-board-announced

No performance changes - they haven't any planned - but a bunch of tweaks here and there, and mounting holes on the PCB.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

A powered hub is not exactly essential but prevents a lot of headaches.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Very pleased with my setup; Someone's currently lasering out very cheap (£4) yoctopuce raspbox cases, and to that I threw on a Sandisk Class 10 SDCard (SDSDXPA-008G-X46), Edimax wireless adapter (EW-7811Un), and a generic BT adapter (Cambridge Silicon Radio/0a12:0001) for keyboard and mouse. All that came to about £65 including RPi, cables and power supply.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

xtothez posted:

It's worth pointing out that they've released new firmware you'll need to use in order to take advantage of the new 512mb RAM. Just replace your startup.elf with the appropriate one of these:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot
I can't say how performance compares to the old revision though, as I've not used a 256mb Pi.

Perhaps run a Pi with the old firmware so it won't access the extra ram?

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

The latest Raspbmc (RC5 v2) is excellent good for HD playback right now. I've tested out a few 1080p x264 mkvs over NFS and playback is seamless. My old HTPC on with XBMC eden on ubuntu would suffer to play these same files over SATA.

OTOH RAspbmc really really needs to optimise the share browsing but you can't have it all I guess.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Main menu > Programs > RaspBMC settings wil let you turn off auto-updating and manually update when you want.

Not all TV manufacturers implementations of CEC are well-done. Samsung is apparently OK, but LG is crappy (I'm praying for future libCEC workarounds).

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

lirc should work ok on any other system but if you have problems with your model of remote you might want to turn on log level 1 in advancedsettings.xml to see what is going on in the logs in ~/.xbmc/temp/

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Now to buy an elegant box in which to place it and then not touch it for like six months straight after I lose interest almost immediately.

The Pi's weird rear end form factor doesn't do it any favours; it's hard to find a nice case when bits stick out all over the place and there are cables exiting every side.

However a crowdfunding thing for this which looks to solve these problems should be out soon :swoon:

edit: it's out now > http://www.indiegogo.com/shortcrust?a=1800581

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 24, 2012

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

Switched from Raspbmc to Openelec and holy crap Openelec runs so much smoother. I highly recommend Openelec.

Which versions are you comparing, and which features are smoother? I found no difference between the two about 10 days ago, it's really odd. In fact boot time was a bit longer in Openelec somehow.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

The foundation launched an 'app store'! This is pretty exciting news for wannabe programmers and could be the thing that sustains community interest in the PI.

Mister Fister posted:

The latest official release versions of each in the past couple of days. I'd get video stuttering every 3-5 minutes with raspbmc.

Thanks! Grainy 1080p over NFS is my benchmark and OpenElec does a bit better than RaspBMC with that. RaspBMC ain't too shabby with smoothed 1080p though. However there is still a lot of latency when reading from USB drives in both .___.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

My iPad charger (A1357) is very stable and tops out at at 2 amps, but I'm thinking I should have got a decent powered hub (to both power the PI and connect to the USB bus) instead just because of all the peripherals that require more power than the PI USB can give. The wiki is really quite good for checking poo poo works

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 22, 2012

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

A lovely quality micro-usb power cable stopped me from running a basic keyboard on the PI. That said I agree it sounds like a defective unit

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

RaspBMC final handles iso files quite a bit better than OpenElec

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

I don't have any first-hand experience but that's the RPi Foundation's target audience.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

If you are lazy OpenElec runs AirPlay out of the box.

If I had the time I would be putting a Model A with wireless and AirPlay into a mini-amp running it off the same power supply. Not sure how to do a safe shutdown without SSH but I think it will involve the GPIO pins and a switch-triggered i2c command to them.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

As its a supercomputer the flash memory may well be used as swap memory!

I've never tried a swap that large, and the latency may be massive but given the guy made a cluster out of R-PI he's probably daft enough to try that too.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

I just booted mine up for the first time in a while, as I've got some stuff finally worked out that is going to require some C programming.

Then I start trying to program C in nano, and every time I try to type a ", it outputs an @ instead, and every time I try to type a #, it outputs a £.

Does anyone know what gives? This isn't very conducive to programming, since I can't find any keys on the keyboard that, in fact, output either " or #. I'm running Raspbian on it for now, but since there's nothing really on the card, I'm not averse to just moving on to something else.

keyboard locale/layout? https://sudoxanthippe.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/changing-keyboard-layout-on-raspbian-11-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

What's the community like for BBB? The size of the RPi community, and the large number of different projects and add-on hardware that have exploded from that it is what attracted me to it, and gives the thing significant longevity IMO.