Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Tweak posted:

I suppose the keys might offer some ventilation but my guess is that keyboard will have an undocumented feature of being a hand warmer, too
Yup. It’s a flat bespoke board with a single piece of aluminum as a heat sink, youtube testers say it functions as well as any heatsink case.
https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2020/raspberry-pi-400-teardown-and-review

abraham linksys posted:

unfortunately, nowadays, a bit harder of a sell between cheaper/better cloud environments

As much as I’d like to get into pi, unless I’m doing anything arm specific or using it as a sensor data collection platform via the GPIO pins, eh I dunno, maybe I need a project that really holds my interest

Like most of my screw around systems are $5-20/mo Linode instances that run Zandronum/Doom or Minecraft dedicated servers or Linux server stuff like nginx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
Ordered my pi 5 on october 18th. Guess it still hasn't shipped.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
Got my pi 5. I plug my Nintendo switch usb-c power supply in and I get an error from the pi OS that this is not a 5 amp charger and that power to accessories might be diminished
Fair enough. I plug the Pi 5 into my MacBook Pro power supply which shows 5A on the plastic case and I still see the same 5A error.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/raspberry-pi-5.html#powering-raspberry-pi-5

quote:

It’s not possible to use older USB "dumb" cables and connectors to provide more than 15W, even with a USB-PD capable supply.

Apparently I’m just using the wrong cables and should have gotten their official power supply. I wonder if performance is degraded in 3A vs 5A

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
pi 5 trip report:
compiling and running GZDoom source port.
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=354301

guide says "The GZDoom source code will compile in about 30 minutes (on a pi 4)" ... didn't clock it, but I'd say it was less than ten minutes. Nice. nice. nice.

Odd thing, doom 2 took about five minutes to load. Like GZdoom had a long shader compilation step. Seems like a bug.

Other thing I notice. In chromium, you can go to youtube and and click on any video to get "Stats for nerds" and you'll typically see frames dropping every second, all while the CPU usage is VERY high - like the smoothness of the mouse movement is affected.
Browse to this and compare to a desktop vs pi and you'll see some things are hardware accelerated and some not.
code:
chrome://gpu/
I haven't checked if Firefox is just as bad.

One workaround is to open VLC Crtl+N and paste in that link. Takes longer to buffer (and you should increase the network + disk buffer length) and seeking through a video is broken. But VLC takes less than 5% a CPU of a single core. You wouldn't know it's there.

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm extremely skeptical of the raspberry pi IPO, what's the stated goal here? I need to look more into it, are they raising a bunch of capital with the plans to make many more products? Will more capital let them avoid the manufacturing problems they've had? Why public? It's going to make more work for them and if the core vision is to keep prices down for hobbyist computers, I just don't get how this helps.

Right. Maybe it's a Mozilla thing where there's a commercial arm and a foundation arm. (Both of which kinda flail around uselessly :kingsley: but thats beside the point)

Then again, I don't know why ARM (chip designer) went public after several, uh, decades.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 11, 2024

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, the GPIO out of the box on something massively more powerful than a microcontroller plus a gigantic community are what make the RPi neat and why I'm still posting in this thread.

I also like the idea of a unix + risc desktop that has absolutely nothing to do with a bog standard windows + intel PC :unsmith: - but I don't have time to get weird and start trawling ebay for early 2000's Sun Workstations or other weird stuff.

I'm compiling GZDoom which runs the four cpus of the pi5 at max for about ten minutes. A few minutes into the compilation process the pi5 shuts down, green light switches to red light, no video. I'm not seeing anything in dmesg, but I'm not sure if i'm using it correctly.
I switch out USB-C cables but keep the same power adapter and I'm able to compile as much as I like. But I wouldn't have encountered this issue if I was just using the Pi for browsing. It's one of those "it works perfectly until it fails horribly" situations.