Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is there anyone actually selling Pi5 boards?

All the official retailers are sold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bought a Canakit Pi4 and the network performance is kinda iffy. Struggles with pulling packages via apt, I can't even get chromium to load the speedtest.net page.

Trying a new OS image. I wasn't really thrilled with Raspian so I'm trying for realsies Ubuntu 64bit.

E: I think the kit supplied SD card is poo poo. Randomly locked up a bunch too

coconono fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 21, 2023

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah SD card was the primary culprit.

I’m now trying to figure out why I loaded the Lakka distro and not getting hdmi output. Except I gave up for the night because I spent too many hours reading the same half dozen retroarch arm64 posts and being very confused.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MJP posted:

Any recs/warnings/cautions about using a Pi for LibreElec/Kodi? I installed it on an HP thin client that likes to freeze sometimes if I fast forward or just plain hang if the TV is off sometimes.

I don't need 4k, I'm fine with 1080/60. It'd run a mix of internet and local sources. I'm not a futzer, i'm happy to set it and forget it and use Kore on my phone as a remote control. I'd use wired networking to connect it to an Orbi mesh satellite.

I'm messing around on an RPi4B with Lakka OS right now. It required fiddling. The default OS was pretty fleshed out

make sure your TV isn't some weirdo bullshit that fell off a truck. Pretty much all my output struggles revolved around the TV not being able to understand all the ephemera the Pi was kicking out. If its not plug and play, make sure you got good cables. I just bought the cheapest thing on Best Boy's floor and it worked.

Bluetooth wasn't out of the box either. I bought an 8bitdo controller thinking that was the easiest way. I suggest something with a pairing dongle. But that could be an OS limitation. I have a logitech keyboard mouse dealie that uses a pairing dongle and its worked great.

Lakka itself is "rawdog retroarch", it comes preinstalled with OS cores, you have to supply BIOS and roms. Its got SSH access and an unsecured access to the filesystem via SMB, which made finding it on the network and throwing files into it a snap. When the Pi5 hardware finally becomes available, I should be able to emulate some PS2 and Gamecube stuff.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sb hermit posted:

:nice:

I agree that getting display to work is usually the biggest headache. If worse comes to worse, you can always pop the sd card into a computer and change the config.txt to set hdmi_safe to enable it. Just make sure to disable it later! Usually a display with an actual hdmi port has less issues than something that needs to be converted between hdmi and dvi or displayport or etc.

yeah I was able to get video output on my old dynex HDMI tv via Lakka by messing with the cmdline.txt file(since it doesn't start a full GUI backend this file gets invoked instead of config.txt) but couldn't get sound. In frustration I walked the whole pi unit to another TV and suddenly sound and video worked just fine.

I might go investigate the local makerspace to make up a slightly larger case with a power button. I'm still trying to work around how to sleep/wake the pi. I'm thinking it might have to be something like a arduino or a Pi Zero that runs the power button and listens for bluetooth or LAN traffic.

I'm still hoping to make this into a gameboxes for a boutique sale but right now the bluetooth stuff is so wonky idk I could make something that goes out of the box for nontech folks. Def going to release an image preloaded with ROMs and BIOS along with a note.txt full of tips'n'tricks

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

When pirates seized the container ship, they pushed the Pi cargo into the ocean, upset it was not pie. Red beard got silicon chips now.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah the SD card placement made me wanna build a bigger case just so the card didn’t get goobered up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I had similar problems and it turned out to be a bad SD card

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

FISHMANPET posted:

I happened to be at my local Microcenter a couple of days ago, and was pleasantly surprised to see they had a good selection of 5s and 4s and even one type of 3 in stock ready to buy.

oh poo poo, I gotta swing through my microcenter and see if they have a 5 board in stock.

wanna get one of these too:

https://www.sunfounder.com/collections/robotics/products/piarm_robot_kit

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if you aren't pegging the cores are you even trying

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RPi6 will integrated facebook posting so your family can know what degenerate purposes your Pi is involved in

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm not sure a pretty clean lookin dude playin with a bunch of expensive electronicals should be calling himself Basically Homeless but its pretty funny we finally found a screensize the Rpi Zero can game on reliably.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah, cameras of similar size are also turbo expensive. So like if you wanted to DIY your own Apple Vision dealie, its still pretty pricey

but we def live in an era when billionaires could DIY their own aerospace surveillance programs, as a hobby.

coconono fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 4, 2024

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

+1 for Microcenter. They’re like big box RadioShacks(RIP).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Agree. I had a mission critical part fail and the local store didn’t have it but the one near my home office did. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

plus it took me two clicks to find crypto mining scam stuff.