Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Brady posted:

Just installed Raspbian via NOOBS and for some reason the GUI takes up more room than the visible screen, ie: my icons and "taskbar" are mostly out of view. I was able to check the display settings and it's showing 1080x1920 with no other options other than "Auto", which sets it to 1080x1920 anyway.

I'm outputting via HDMI to my TV (yes, it's 1080p).

Any ideas?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have your width and height resolution backwards? Meaning, shouldn't it be set to 1920x1080? If so, it would likely cause the problem you are seeing.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Well my project is pretty much stuck. I'm thinking about finding something else to do with mine but I'm not sure what.

Did you open a thread in the programming forum? If so, please link it. Not because I have the knowledge to actually probably help, but because I'm curious, and the idea sounded neat. If you didn't, you should.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Computer viking posted:

The easiest way to dualboot it is probably to make one SD card per OS.

Or look into BerryBoot.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Good thing you quoted it so we can all read it twice.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

One of my Pis has been running nonstop for over a year, writing then erasing 500gb of audio a day

I'm curious. For what purpose?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

ante posted:

I was actually just thinking last night that I really need an IR sensor for home theatre Pi.

What am I missing here? Why not just use your phone? xbmcRemote is a great app.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

FatUglyUseless posted:

Adafruit has an in stock email notification signup if any one is interested.

Thanks for this :)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Kidney Stone posted:

Ok guys, quick question that I hope you can answer?

I have to replace my old LaCie LaCinema HD - can't play mp4 files or anything newer than .avi, and deceided to go for a Raspberry Pi B+ setup running Raspbmc.

Does any of you guys have experience in setting a system like that up?

Do yourself a favor and go with OpenELEC on the Pi. Thank me later :)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

If I buy a Pi2 and pop in my micro SD card from a B+, will everything work fine?

From what I understand some stuff may, and some stuff will not. Someone should confirm/deny this though, because I'm not entirely sure. But being as its a different architecture, one would think it wouldnt just be 'plug and play.' v:shobon:v

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

bvoid posted:

Has 1080p (or even 720p) video performance, as well as SNES emulator performance, improved significantly on the RPi since about mid-2013?

I picked one up back then for those two purposes (and messing with IO pins with Arduino and whatnot) and I had a lot of stuttering and slowness during both. I messed with the clock settings, voltage, SD cards, etc...but nothing really helped. The stuttering wasn't so bad for the video playback, but the SNES emulator performance was lacking, even though plenty of internet forum posts were expressing how happy people were with performance. Basically, I want to try out the $50 Emulator/XMBC Machine again, and I was hoping people had some anecdotes.

FWIW, I've never had a single problem with any 1080p video, with Full DTS Audio, nonetheless, on my B+ through OpenELEC with Kodi.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Moey posted:

Now I want to upgrade. I have one of the original 256 Model B.

Well yea, that's your problem. No wonder you're getting stuttering. I'm surprised it's even playable :v:

Spend the $35 and upgrade, and never worry about it again.

edit: Even get a regular 512 B, as opposed to a B+ or Pi2 B, and you wont even have to get a new SD card.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Moey posted:

Well that was fast.

look at your calendar.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Yes. Shrink the partition down to whatever you want, and then dd (or whatever you're going to use) and immediately be back up and running. You can then expand the file size accordingly. Unless you just shrink the 32GB down to 8, and then image from there.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Moey posted:

Neat, but why not just look at your dhcp server and the leases?

I as going to same this same exact thing. This guy is reinventing the wheel.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

durtan posted:

Speaking of, any word on Windows 10 for the Pi2?

People are going to be sad when they realize Win10 for rPI is just a dev platform and not "Windows."

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Wait. How can you view YouTube through Kodi? :tviv:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

To be fair, the performance increase I've seen from the Pi1 B to Pi2 B is very real.

But you're still right :unsmith:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Having GPIO pins is irrelevant to teaching computer science.

Wrong.

Even more wrong if you're talking about Artificial Intelligence / Robotics in a Computer Science background driven capacity. :can:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

But CS doesn't even necessitate actually touching a computer. Are you thinking of engineering?

No, it doesn't. But Applied Computer Science does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_of_computer_science

That's like saying I don't need a Doctorate Degree to be a Surgeon.

:shobon:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

What's the advantage over using something like Google drive or whatever?

Privacy.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Or, of course, rsync.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Yea, rtorrent is the answer. If you want a front end for it, use RuTorrent.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

FWIW, I like OpenVPN :shobon:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

37th Chamber posted:

yanking power out without properly unmounting
This will cause you problems forever. Absolutely, definitely shut down/halt/power down properly.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Real SSDs own balls and when was the last time an 850 Evo crapped itself on you? Never, that's when.

Nope, they're not old enough yet and/or you've not pushed enough IO on it. Give it time. Every drive will eventually fail. If it hasn't happened yet, it will. I promise. If you think the 850 Evo (read: any) drive is "never going to crap itself" I have some really bad news for you.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Can't tell if that's directed at me or not. But any drive is going to fail. When it fails, it's obviously no longer useful. I have some old WD Greens running that are way past their EOL timetable. I'm running ticking time bombs. Just because they haven't yet, doesn't mean they're not going to. Same applies to SSD, SD, your regular flash drives, etc. Same with anything/everything else electronic.

My point was just because "ABC THING" hasn't failed yet does not mean that it's not going to, or incapable of doing as such.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I'm not sure Oracle is supporting ARM currently. I'd look into that first.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Slightly off topic, but so was your post (hurf durf), but how much does a good VR headset (is that even the right term?) go for these days?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

TVarmy posted:

Are there any decently priced NAS boxes with BusyBox or Linux support to scratch the cheap server itch?
Do you have old hardware lying around? Xpenology is a great solution and runs BusyBox. I still have one running and takes anything I can throw at it, while even using a 4,000,000 year old AMD Athlon X2 240. You'd probably get better results from this in the NAS thread though :)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Is there a "recommended" USB hub for the Pi, by the way? I'm to the point now where I need one. What's the general consensus on these?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Magnus Praeda posted:

Depends on how many ports you need, but I've had good luck with the Amazon Basics one.

It's not huge, but it's not really terribly portable either, if that matters to you.

Edit: fixed URL

That's actually way cheaper than I thought it would be. If I buy the USB3 version with the quicker transfer speeds, versus the one linked (USB2) would the Pi be able to benefit from it?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Pawn 17 posted:

Holy poo poo, getting Netflix working on Raspbian has been a bitch and a half. loving DRM poo poo.

:stare:

Wait, what? How do you get Netflix to run on a Pi? Can it run through Kodi? :tviv:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I'm sure this is a ridiculously stupid question, but Google is of no help because all I can find out is how to turn my rPi into an OpenVPN server.

The problem is - I just want to connect to an existing OpenVPN server and have all traffic routed through that. It can't be that hard - But I'm finding nothing. :saddowns:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

n.. posted:

Probably because your terminology is mixed up. If you're connecting to a server, then you want to set up an openvpn client, not another server.

Also, when you say you want to have all traffic routed through it, do you mean all traffic from the pi? Or all traffic on your network?

I want to connect to an existing OpenVPN server, so yes, splitting hairs I am a client of that server. But I'd prefer to do this all CLI and not have to install a GUI - I thought there might be some /etc/network/interfaces hackery that I could play around with instead of installing a whole DE just to get the real Client. I just don't know how :(

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

n.. posted:

Generally how it works is you drop the config file into /etc/openvpn/config or whatever it is on your install and then just start openvpn and it will automatically connect.

:aaa:

Didn't think it would be this easy. Definitely going to give it a shot tonight. Thanks! :)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I didn't know people still tried to browse the Internet from their rPi, unless the quick emergency lynx forums.somethingawful.com or something :stare:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

Is there some kind of trick to getting a powered usb hub to work with a pi? Do I need to power the pi itself with it? I haven't tried that because I'm being overly cautious and didn't want to screw it up until I had it for at least a week.

I have a pi 3 if that matters.

I just can't get the keyboard and mouse to work on it (they work fine on their own and so does the hub when I tested it on my pc).

Plug hub into wall. Plug devices into hub. Plug hub into rPi.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Rookoo posted:

Anyone have experience setting up the PI for torrent downloads?

I got as far as setting up a way to interface with the program by web or whatever, but none of them seem to work, I just get connection errors.

I totally recommend using rTorrent with the ruTorrent front end. Works flawlessly, even with auto-dl and RSS feeds.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

fishmech posted:

And no, it can't really push a 1080p screen all day long acceptably in a lot of use cases, the GPU just isn't powerful enough because it's a design originally intended for 640x480 smartphone screens of 10 years ago, slightly upclocked in the 3 model.

Tell this to my Pi 1 Model B+ unit that pushes 1080p with AC3/DTS audio hours per day with literally zero hiccups. Although maybe it's because it's streamed from somewhere else, so this may be a moot point and I'm an idiot. I honestly have no idea. You're probably right, playing it locally would likely crumble it. Or not, I honestly do not know. :psyduck:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

I'm able to do the same locally from a USB 3 stick (I know the Pi is only 2.0), although it is significantly overclocked.

Well there you go. If a Pi 1 can do it, for sure a Pi 3 can...