Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Is there a Pi that can be made to drive a 8k monochrome LCD over HDMI? Not for video just for stills, basically a very similar use-case to an SLA 3D printer. There do seem to be some people doing it but I'm not exactly sure how (definitely not a linux person).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Computer viking posted:

It doesn't look like HDMI supports any real grayscale or bitmap color modes. If it's bitmap, you could get away with YUV 4:2:0; the absolutely lowest bandwidth 8k standard is 8k 30Hz 4:2:0 at just under 18Gbit. Also, it looks like the 8k modes were added in HDMI 2.1, so that's presumably a minimum.

The RPi 5 has HDMI 2.0, which just doesn't have the 8k modes. You could get one of the PCIe breakout boards and see if any of the cheap low-power GPUs have 2.1 support?

Ahhh ok I just looked at the NanoDLP slicer page and they do give the caveat that it's only capable of 4k on raspberry pi's but in a Facebook post from a while ago they said they had a pi 4 running 8k?

Orange pi seems to support 8k natively over HDMI 2.1 so I suppose that's a better bet.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Computer viking posted:

It doesn't look like HDMI supports any real grayscale or bitmap color modes. If it's bitmap, you could get away with YUV 4:2:0; the absolutely lowest bandwidth 8k standard is 8k 30Hz 4:2:0 at just under 18Gbit. Also, it looks like the 8k modes were added in HDMI 2.1, so that's presumably a minimum.

The RPi 5 has HDMI 2.0, which just doesn't have the 8k modes. You could get one of the PCIe breakout boards and see if any of the cheap low-power GPUs have 2.1 support?

Oh hey so I found out how these printers drive 8-12k screens over HMDI 2.0, turns out that they map each of the R,G and B values to a different physical monochrome pixel, so the screen is effectively pretending to be a lower resolution RGB screen and you have to send it funny coloured images if you want them to display correctly.