Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a raspberry pi 3b with DreamPi installed. It's a tool to let the Dreamcast get online without needing an actual dial up connection.

Anyway, I'm trying to get it to work with a wireless USB adapter I bought. It's this one specifically:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H28H8DU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_1qZQRnoEmW9LK

When I run ifconfig, it doesn't list any wireless adapters as available (just eth and lo).

From reading reviews this should be supported out of the box but is there something im missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My experience with a rpi is buying a 2p arcade stuck with an integrated rpi3 running retropie.

It played most games but struggled with the games I really wanted to play so I wound up just revitalizing my actual console gaming arsenal...

And then I wanted to play QIII Arena online with my Dreamcast so I fished the rpi3 out of the arcade stick, bought a USB modem, and made my dreams come true with DreamPi.

And now I'm repurposing the arcade stick as a bar top arcade.... might put a newer rpi in it and continue the cycle.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

mewse posted:

Lol the subtle Krusty

What modem did you buy? I'm skeptical of the injected voltage poo poo all the dreampi docs talk about and their single blessed USB modem they want to sell me

I bought the modified modem direct from
DreamcastLive. Once I figured out how to get Dreampi on my wireless network i was fragging in minutes.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Vaporware posted:

I set up

https://birdnetpi.com/

over the holidays and it's a lot of fun. I'm running on a zero 2W and it's pokey but I dont want to sacrifice my only 4b to it yet.

Install instructions are complete if a bit hard to follow. you have to branch depending on hardware. They're willing to debug Pi alternatives too if you've got another board lying around.

I've even learned a bit more about stuff I should know like switching power supply noise and mic preamps. It was a huge headache trying to jump straight into this stuff thinking I knew it. It's the old adage that teaching someone completely fresh is easier.

https://github.com/mcguirepr89/BirdNET-Pi/discussions/39#discussioncomment-4634956

What microphone setup are you using for this?

I have some directional mini cardioid mics and a 9v power supply that I used to use for recording live shows but I'm not sure if they're the best fit.

Maybe an omnidirectional mic?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have a RPI3b+ that I'm trying to use with DreamPi but i cannot get it to load anything but the official Raspberry Pi OS. Like even if i use the RPI Imager tool to load the SD Bootloader, it doesn't load it.

I also noticed that when I have nothing in the SD card slot and I boot it up, the green light doesn't blink at all which I've come to understand means the bootloader is hosed up?

How can I fix this? Lots of solutions online seem to be written for RPI4 which is different than what I'm seeing. Like in raspi-config, the Advanced Options doesn't even show the Bootloader option in the menu for me.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

At this point I've tracked down versions 1.4-1.7 of DreamPi and I can't get any of them to boot so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I can't find any discussion around DreamPi not working on this model of RPI either.

So far I've tried flashing the SD card with Win32 Disk Imager, Balena Etcher, and the official Raspberry Pi OS flashing utility and the result is always the same: rainbow screen, red power light on the RPI3b+ and no green light to accompany it.

If I install the regular RaspberryOS using the official flashing utility it boots it up just fine no problems.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Inept posted:

Is your power adapter good? Sometimes a borderline one will work for some uses and not others.

i've tried a bunch of different power options and nothing seems to matter.

it's just strange that the official RaspberryOS installs and runs perfectly fine but none of the DreamPi builds boot at all. I even have a different project installed to another SD card called BirdPi and it boots with no problems either.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The form factor is a huge benefit, though. Most people don't want to Velcro poo poo to their television.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That is super cool! I really like the case too, fwiw.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Anyone here ever tried using a Daemonbite Arcade encoder (it's an arduino) with a raspberry pi to use as a controller for Pico8?

I cannot get it to register the direction inputs at all and I'm curious if it's even possible to get it working.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Good point on voltage draw, I'll look at that.

The controller works perfectly fine on a MiSTer so I think it's all wired appropriately. It even blinks the LED when it detects input and every direction on the stick elicits a blink.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I installed joystick and ran
code:
jstest /dev/input/js0
and verified its seeing positive and negative values for each axis as I flick it left/right/up/down. It also sees the four buttons I wired in as 1 through 4.

Edot: I got qjoypad working and that allows me to re-map the Daemonbite commands to keystrokes. All set now.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 8, 2024

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

If you breath in some of the smoke you'll have RadioShack inside of you forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I found it made the Pi way more flexible for my uses to install EmulationStation via apt-get and then have it auto-launch on boot. That way if you want to use it for something else you still have RaspbianOS to fall back to.

E: post 2 slow