Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BattleMaster posted:

Google was pushing for a 12V-only PC power supply standard to simplify the design of their custom server power supplies with individual lead-acid battery backup. Most of the power for a present-day PC comes from the 12V rail anyway, bucked down locally to whatever voltage is needed. I don't think the other rails get much of a workout anymore.

5V is a defacto standard for low-power devices because that's what USB gives though.

I don't know about open standards but I definitely have servers at work that only use 12V. If you look at the spec sheet for one (or the sticker on the power supply) it only lists 12V under DC outputs. Since this thing doesn't have floppy drives or PCI slots, I don't think it even uses any of the standard ATX voltages other than 12V so it would need to step that down to anything lower on the motherboard anyway.

Ed.: Looks like PCIe has a few 3.3V pins and of course USB is 5V but I'm sure it's trivial to just regulate that on the motherboard if it's all that's left.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hadlock posted:

I'm 99% sure the Pi doesn't have the AES instruction set. If you want to get crazy about security, you can always compile Raspian from source. There's probably a Pi variant of Gentoo.

There's an Ubuntu 14.04 image out there too if you want something closer to Raspbian that isn't Raspbian and don't want to compile it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Serenade posted:

Well made and expensive toys exist.

What's the line that makes it a toy then? You can run Linux on a Chromebook, you aren't limited to ChromeOS.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Try searching for "mini pc" on ALIExpress and see what you find. I'm seeing a bunch of Chrometop/Compute Stick-likes for under $100, so one of those might be perfect if you're more concerned with size, power use, and cost than speed.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Rookoo posted:

Anyone have experience setting up the PI for torrent downloads?

I got as far as setting up a way to interface with the program by web or whatever, but none of them seem to work, I just get connection errors.

Is it possible to get a GUI version of Deluge or whatever to run on the PI 3 in raspbian? It's not a big deal not being able to access it remotely.

I did this with Deluge on a RPi 2 running Raspbian but with remote access following this guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/142044/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-an-always-on-bittorrent-box/

It worked great, although after several months I got tired of being bottlenecked by the Pi's pitiful I/O options and moved to a regular PC.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

fishmech posted:

That was called BSNES and is now called HIGAN because the author guy added similarly complete emulation of the NES and Game Boy.

For those curious to learn more, there's a good article about this from a few years back on Ars: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It might also make more sense to look into a Mikrotik box - a low end one won't cost that much more than the Pi and is a lot more custom built for that kind of job. As a bonus, it won't corrupt its system partition if you have a brownout!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I found that for couch gaming, a wireless keyboard and a large flexible mousepad (Steelseries makes a good one) on top of a relatively flat, dense pillow on the seat next to you works well. Depending on the shape of said couch you might find that a mousepad on the armrest would work too.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, good manufacturers also have detailed spec sheets on their websites. Taking a Noctua 80mm as an example, it allows input voltage from 4-13V and uses 1.32W/0.11A at maximum. If we assume that the current holds constant when dropping voltage - I would expect it to go down just a bit since this isn't a purely resistive load, but not sure - then something like this would probably not even be noticeable unless your Pi is already about to brownout.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Skarsnik posted:

Completely anecdotal, but I've not had a single card failure or corruption since I got rid of the cheap sandisk ones I started off with and moved to samsung ones

One has been running for 3 years now non stop serving up pictures to screens in a pub. Not a single issue.

If you are needing a device with more power/reliability that costs more than a pi, the pi probably wasn't the right tool for the job to start with

Do you ever have power failures? I found that it's easy to accidentally use an adapter that is rated for plenty of current for the Pi, but doesn't quite keep the voltage high enough to avoid brownouts. With a PC, I think this would be annoying but usually the system would have no problem recovering automatically. Every time it happened to my Pi 2 running Ubuntu or Raspbian, the system disk would get corrupted and I'd have to reflash the thing. Adding just 8GB of eMMC would really be nice to avoid this problem. It's even worse since the microSD slot broke and won't hold the card in any more without my jury-rigging it with a bent pin, but I understand they improved that in the Pi 3.

The other issue is that running all of the I/O through a single USB 2.0 bus sucks horribly if you want to do anything with storage. The Pi would have a lot more potential as a server if it just had 3.0, and gigabit Ethernet wouldn't be bad either although USB 3.0 would be enough.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hadlock posted:

cherry trail Intel atom 32 bit cpu

Doesn't exist. They might have a 32-bit EFI or something screwed up like that on it, but Atoms have all supported 64-bit for a while now unless there's some weird embedded systems model without it that I missed. Cherry Trail definitely supports x86-64.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hadlock posted:

Hmm that's odd, I was looking at the Q&A section on their (only?) reseller and the manufacturer had replied that it was 32 bit. So there's definitely an inconsistency there somewhere.

Could have a 32 bit EFI, as I said. There's no reason to do it as far as I'm aware but that didn't stop ASUS from doing it to the X205. I tried for hours to try and finagle a 64-bit OS onto that machine but it's just not possible, the boot sequence just won't touch it the same as if the processor was actually 32-bit. One forum I found while searching for answers postulated that maybe they only have 32-bit drivers available but they could just say that instead of entirely locking out 64-bit code, so IDK.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

apropos man posted:

Huge gains, but obviously I'm not gonna leave a perfectly good 850 Evo running Raspbian when it could be put to more demanding use. Do you think that the drive I'm testing with is more than capable of saturating the data bus on the Pi3 and this is what's happening, so if I bought a cheap 60GB SSD from eBay I'd expect to get similar results?

EDIT: Fahgeddabaadit. I just added the parameter "dtparam=sd_overclock=100" to config.txt, which does something to double the speed of Ultra sd cards. Write speed is the same, but reads are now 36+ MB/s :)

In case someone else has the same question, yes - the data bus on the Pi is a single USB2.0 port internally and is capable of about what you saw at maximum. Virtually any SSD can perform at a multiple of this, at least for sequential operations. Even Crucial's shameful BX200 gets around 80MBps writes if I recall correctly.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

PBCrunch posted:

If so, how could he get more power into the Arduino while maintaining the data connection needed for the blinkenlights? Splice together a barrel connector to the end of a USB cable plugged into a second USB port?

Use a USB3.0 hub to not have to do any splicing. Even if you plug it into a USB2.0 port it will be capable of increased power delivery. Alternatively, get a USB3.0 expansion card.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I built a RetroPie to tinker with, the setup is currently barebones.

Simple question: when I shut down the system via GUI (equivalent to "halt"?) should I reboot simply by disconnecting and reconnecting the power? After all, there is no power button.
Yes, that's correct.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Maybe more recent ones can run on 5V only but I just checked the label on one of my 3.5" drives and it needs up to 0.35A of 12V, so unless you have a transformer no amount of 5V current from USB is going to get you there anyway. I don't think I've ever seen a 3.5" enclosure that didn't require a 12V adapter to operate.

e: Actually, no - I have seen a recent Seagate external 3.5" with only a Type-C port but I think it either needed USB-PD support or something really high like 4A, don't remember for sure.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 10, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

zharmad posted:

Not counting conversion losses, .35A of 12V is only .84A at 5v, so it's still not crazy high. Pi 3 is rated at max total peripheral draw of 1.2A, so if that was the only thing hooked up, it could theoretically do it.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/

Yeah, my memory was more pessimistic than reality about the Seagate USB-C external. Turns out it only needs 1.5A, not bad at all. The integrated LiPo battery probably helps a lot with that.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
From what I recall the Pi itself uses under 1A, but issues appear when you add draw to the USB ports or when your >=1A rated adapter can't actually keep the voltage close to 5V under load and you get a brownout. I had this problem with a Blackberry tablet charger - it was rated for 1.8, but for whatever reason I kept getting issues with the SD card going read-only even though the only thing plugged into USB ports was an external HDD on its own independent DC adapter. The problem went away when I switched to an iPhone charger. I doubt the Blackberry charger had issues delivering the raw wattage, but it was probably designed around not worrying about hitting 5V exactly because it was only ever going to be charging a battery.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you're using PuTTY, you can run multiple tabs instead of separate windows with MTPuTTY. It doesn't appear to have gotten any development in several years, but I run it daily in Windows 10 and it still works well overall. The only bugs I've noticed are that you need to close it manually (instead of just shutting down/rebooting with it still running) to permanently save new sessions that you've added and if you do shut down/reboot with active sessions going it will throw an error window for each and every session.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Harminoff posted:

So I got a pi zero w just so I could run pihole on it (which is amazing btw)

Is this thing powerful enough to do other things as well? Thinking of adding transmission to it.

Having run a Raspberry Pi 2 for several months as an always-on torrent server in the past (using Deluge) my opinion is that it works well considering the inherent limitations of the platform, but those limitations are significant. Make sure you have a reliable power source that's actually putting out close to 5V so you don't get random brownouts and system disk corruption, and realize that all of your I/O is going through a single USB2.0 bus internally so there are serious limits to how fast it will go. Even with the reduced processor in the Zero it should be fine just to run a torrent server but there's no way you're going to be able to get files into or out of it at much more than 10MBps with locally attached disks.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

wolrah posted:

While we're discussing other "hacker-friendly" SBCs is anyone aware of any options that have actual proper Android support? As in not just "it has a binary-only build of a version 2-3 revisions old which hasn't been updated in two years" but something where useful source is provided at bare minimum and preferably the vendor actually puts some ongoing dev time in to it.

The oDroid XU4 directly advertises support for 7.1 on the product page, and it looks like the same SoC as the Galaxy S5 so I would suspect that helps with ongoing support. I'm not sure about source availability though, is that at all common for current SoCs?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 26, 2018

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Torrenting is fine on a Pi if you are OK with being limited to Fast Ethernet speeds not just while downloading but also while transferring off files. I got tired of waiting and eventually migrated to a PC so I could get SATA and gigabit Ethernet.

It would probably also work great if you already have a NAS with gigabit and just have the Pi automatically clone over finished downloads before you need them.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 21, 2018

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Queen Combat posted:

Now I need to figure out what to do with this Pi Zero W. I hate the Zero W - bought it early 2017 to try to do a 3D printer - camera setup, but it is too slow and failed at that. Tried doing Pi-Hole on it, and despite everybody saying it's just fine for that (wired or on 2.4G), it was just giving me so many issues that I went out and picked up a few Pi 3 B+'s for $30 each at Fry's. The Zero W goes back into the bin I guess.

I've had great results setting up a Zero W as a camera server with motioneye. Using the official camera with a screw-on case and a cell phone tripod, I was able to get it perched on a windowsill with a good viewing angle and just rubber band the Zero W itself to the top of the whole rig. It can capture 1080p at ~1fps all day long and I have it saving directly to a Samba shared HDD on my NAS box instead of wearing out its SD card; I assume at a lower res you could go a lot faster.

I started out using motioneyeos to do this but if you want to do anything more complicated than the options motioneye gives you (like a Samba share) then you may find it easier to start with Raspbian minimal and install motioneye on top. MotioneyeOS is very lightweight since it's based on Embedded Linux but expanding it seemed less straightforward than apt-get, and it's not like Raspbian minimal is much of an additional load even for a Zero.

TraderStav posted:

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm fairly new to Linux (knew some BSD nearly two decades ago, but that's been left to rust). I have a Canakit 3B+ that I ordered a few weeks ago.

- I installed the full Raspian and was playing around with that for a bit.
How do I return to the GUI?

- The SDCard that Cana ships with seems like a nice set up with NOOBS installed. I was going to back it up
Or is there an image I can find that will replicate without needing to and I can nuke / pave without concern?

- I want to play with pihole, but is the 3B+ still powerful enough to do other tasks? Shouldn't be anything intensive as I'm mostly looking to play with some programming/compiling in a Linux environment. I wouldn't be doing double duty with RetroPie in this case.

Thanks in advance for looking at my dumb newbie questions!

- I think you want 'startx' for the regular Raspbian GUI and 'emulationstation' for the RetroPie GUI.
- You can download NOOBS and write it fresh with Etcher.
- The Pi 3B is powerful enough to work as a light desktop - web browser, text editor, small compilations, that sort of thing is no problem. It's going to be noticeably slower than any recent x86 PC if you start getting into anything serious, and the 1GB of memory will hold you back from doing a lot at once with the web browser.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 30, 2018

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Pihole shouldn't really cause a substantial load on the system unless you have a lot of DNS clients, as far as the quadcore models go at least.

e: For anything where you're concerned about performance though, a Linux VM on the Windows/Mac machines will run rings around any model of Pi. You could also look into WSL if you have Windows 10.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 30, 2018

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah if you want the cheapest option when you consider your time as well as your money, you could just pay ~$100-120 for a refurbished USFF Dell/HP/Lenovo Sandy/Ivy Bridge machine.

e: Looks like $80 now.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

VictualSquid posted:

Is there a distro for the Pi zero?

If you have already determined that Raspbian isn't ideal, I'd check out a minimal install of Fedberry or the Arch install for Pi - both should start out pretty lightweight.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

VictualSquid posted:

The usb ports on a zero are so close together that a micro to A adapter blocks the charging port. Luckily you can daisychain micro to C to A connections to get some space.

I recommend going for the kind that has a cable in between the plug and the socket, instead of just a piece of plastic with a plug on one end and a socket on the other. Avoids this problem and reduces strain on the connector.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I don't think 65C is a problem for a Pi4, but I read about the temps being higher and got the FLIRC case for mine. It's made of aluminum and has good contact with the chip so it's a pretty effective heatsink.

mewse posted:

Pi4 is huge overkill to run pi-hole, I have it running responsively on a first gen pi B.

Yeah, I'm using a 2B for pihole and it's basically just idling at <1%. It makes sense, it's not like DNS is a complicated service or like I have a lot of concurrent users in my house. I tried to think of something else to run on it but I already have a quad-core Xeon doing most of that stuff, I just didn't want to make DHCP+DNS reliant on my VM sandbox.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 13, 2020

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I use a Zero W with motionEye for a remote camera and a 2B on a UPS as a home DHCP/DNS server using dnsmasq. Both work great. I also feel like RetroPie works quite well, and depending on what kind of development you're interested in the Pi 4 is a pretty capable sandbox.

You definitely want an old PC instead for general productivity/multimedia stuff though, even if you're totally OK with Linux. The 4 is a lot closer but it's still noticeably limited in comparison.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Klyith posted:

I've said it before ITT but if you have a purpose for a Pi that wants to ditch the SD card, needs more power / more storage, and cares about reliable & well-supported software, don't buy some $100 super-Pi. Buy a $150 mini PC.

This, and you don't need $150 to beat a Pi handily. Wyse 5070 "thin clients" are going for around $60 on eBay and they have a J4105 with 2 DP1.2 outputs / J5005 with 3, two SODIMM slots, lots of USB ports, and an M.2 SATA slot. Works equally well as a light Proxmox host or an HTPC.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 12, 2022

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Running off straight 12V also gives you more flexibility with battery backups, I'd assume.

The platform is similar in a lot of ways to a current thin client, but having dual LAN and PCIe x4 available is definitely not normal for that segment and gives it a lot more potential for router/NAS stuff.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

cruft posted:

This got me thinking, I know USB PD can deliver 12v...

Yep, there's a cable. Same amperage, too.

Yeah, I have one that draws the 20V mode to any of a number of legacy 19-20V laptop charging tips: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BL6SW52G

Works great with my two Dell laptops that are too old to have Type-C. I wish it had some kind of coupler that allowed it to attach to chargers with integrated cables instead of just ones with ports, but from what I recall the PD spec has something about the cables having e-marker chips for capability discovery and making that work with couplers could just be too complex to be worthwhile.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you do have an SD card that seems to have been irretrievably corrupted, try the SD Association's formatter on it before throwing it out: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

I have had it restore cards and flash drives to normal operation (at least, as far as I could tell) when neither Windows' diskpart or fdisk was able to work with them.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I will admit to having a NUC velcroed to the back of my bedroom TV because the TV is on a wall mount and I don't want a cable swinging back and forth when I adjust it. An N100 on a stick would be an easier way of achieving the same thing.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Wyse 5070 "thin clients" are $50 or less on eBay if you just want a cheap desktop - they're Intel J4105/5005 with 2/3 4K-capable DisplayPort outputs, M.2 SATA, and the ability to run at least 16GB of dual-channel DDR4. Idle power is like 5-7W and it runs off a standard Dell laptop brick.

e: I forgot but according to the spec sheet the Type-C port on the front is also a DP output. You can't use all of them at once, but if you really need that many monitors there's also the "extended" version which can fit a low-profile graphics card.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 29, 2023

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I feel like the 5V/5A profile is fine considering that the board should will run off a standard 5V/3A power supply too - I don't think that article says it, but others mention that using a 3A supply works and just causes a current limit on the USB ports.

I think it's a valid design decision to prefer the simplicity and power efficiency of not adding an additional voltage conversion stage, especially if something like one of the video outputs is on the table. So many of these boards are going to run headless and won't need the extra power anyway, but they will all benefit from efficiency and cost reduction.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 9, 2023

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
IDK I'm way more impressed that it has like twice the performance of the last one and a real PCIe bus than bothered that I might need to buy a new $12 power supply for a new computer, but go off I guess.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Has anyone actually established that the new supply will be necessary? There's a whole lot of doom and gloom about it, but I provided an article indicating that the Pi 5 will work off of a 3A supply by limiting current to the USB ports to 600mA. That's plenty if you're just using a mouse and keyboard, or especially running the Pi headless.

Hadlock posted:

Any rationale why they're doing mini/micro hdmi, vs just hdmi over usb-c?

Also :lol::lol::lol: are they really not using USB-C PD? :dafuq:

They are using PD, they're just only using it to say how much 5V they want and not to ask for other voltages. We have direct sources saying that they did this to not have to add more components to the board, which they would have had to do in order to use higher voltages. I am still baffled as to why so many people think this is an obvious blunder, given that the low cost and consistent form factor of the Pi are generally agreed to be good things.

Why is HDMI over USB-C so much better than micro HDMI? They already set the latter standard with the Pi 4 and I imagine that if they switched off of it a mere one generation later, a lot of folks would still be complaining for that reason instead.

e: Also HDMI Alt Mode is pretty much dead, nothing uses it. You could get DP over USB but now everyone will be kvetching twice as much because they'll need an active adapter to get back the HDMI they had before instead of the cable that most of them already have for a Pi 4.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 16, 2023

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Uh... but it's not like that.
  1. You can still use your old Pi 4 adapter. As far as anyone has demonstrated, the only problem with this in theory (and the device hasn't come out yet, so theory is all we have) is that you will have less USB current. I genuinely believe that this will not matter for most use cases at all. If it is a problem, you can fix it with as common a solution as a powered hub.
  2. You can use pretty much any good quality cell phone charger from the last 5+ years, because they also will do 5V/3A. Same caveats apply.
  3. There is literally nothing at all stopping all of the current manufacturers of ubiquitous 20V/4.5-5A Type-C laptop chargers from allowing these chargers to do 5V/5A as well, it just hasn't been an issue before now. I would not be surprised if this becomes more common going forward.

e: Like, the whole framing of this seems wrong. It's not "you need this new adapter for the Pi 5 to work properly", it's "you can use the old adapter you already had, BUT if you get one with these extra capabilities then the Pi 5 can make some use of that".

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

ante posted:

This isn't true at all. That's not how power supply design works.

As far as I understand, current is generally limited by the conductor resistance - run too much current over too thin a wire, and it melts. Voltage is limited by wire insulation/circuit isolation - too much voltage for a given gap and it will short/arc and various bad things happen. Is either of those statements incorrect? (There are other considerations like the voltage regulation circuit itself and its cooling, but it feels like a reasonable assumption that if they can handle 100W then they can handle 25W even at a little lower efficiency.)

If you have a power supply with thick enough conductors to do 5A, good enough insulation to do 20V, and a controller+regulator circuit that can select anywhere from 5V to 20V output on demand, which already offers a 5V/3A mode... why exactly would the manufacturer not be able to add a 5V/5A mode on that controller in a future revision?

Cojawfee posted:

It makes no sense to do 5V at 5A when you could just negotiate a higher voltage with lower current to put less stress on the cable. That's the entire point of offering those higher voltages. Then you let the device convert the voltage itself.

the literal actual article that started this discussion posted:

We could have just used a standard PD supply, get nine volts at three amps, but then you have to do the voltage conversion on the board. That costs you area, it costs you silicon, it costs you efficiency.

If you disagree that the tradeoff is worth it I guess that's a fair discussion to have, but saying it makes no sense is strange when they gave a perfectly clear explanation for why they did it.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 16, 2023