Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

angrytech posted:

Did you by any chance say this last night on #raspberrypi? There was a discussion about just that, so I'm curious.

This is how most people are viewing the project, as far as I can tell. Phantom/WinFS/Optimus keyboard chat, basically.

I will definitely be buying a couple if they ever show up, but I'm not outlining projects based around them or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
We got the Pi for our vaporizer project from an Amazon seller in my state (AR) and it was here in two days. Check the smaller outfits.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Just to give you guys another idea of what you can do with this, and sorry if I mentioned it before, but we are building an arduino and Raspberry Pi powered vaporizer that tweets and plays Snoop Dogg samples when you hit it.

Raspberry High

The Arduino is actually the core of the unit, handling all of the LCD and interface and heater control, but it will talk serial to and from the Pi, which will be set up to post to Twitter and will have a webui. We're developing an iOS app to remotely start/stop/preheat, as well.

I decided against making the thing Pi-only because we need solid heater control and I didn't want to roll the dice on a Linux program reliably PWMing the heater. But, the Pi is both cheaper and way more powerful than the Arduino Ethernet shield, so we decided on a combo.

This started out as a joke project from me seeing a lot of posts of people that bought Pis and threw them in the junk drawer, so I said "send me one and i'll make a bong out of it," somebody did, and we went from there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

doritos posted:

Is anyone's (in the thread) kid using the Pi as a modern day C64 yet?

Just wondering.

If kids used to smoke weed off really hot C64 PSUs, then, technically, yes.

YOSVAPE status: We're hashing out tech issues with glue boards and temp sensors. But I have manually tested it, and it works. No real Pi integration right now, but it's just-around-the-corner.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Raspberry High now transmits status messages to #yospos on synIRC when it changes mode. I've been coding a fair bit, testing extensively, and learning about all sorts of fun stuff like how to poll serial in Perl, and how to build a usable UI for something that could burn a house down out of four buttons, a pot and a 20x2 LCD.

All I need to do is hook in Net::Twitter tonight, and we will have fulfilled the original scope of the project, which was to create 'a bong that tweets when you hit it".

More in the yosthread, we're getting down to code and such at the end.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507531
http://raspberryhigh.wikia.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stereotype posted:

Is there any rasbian download for a distro that is entirely headless from the start (ie has sshd running when I boot it up)? I'm not planning on ever hooking my Pi up to a monitor, so I don't want to have to buy an HDMI cable just to turn on ssh. The most recent version doesn't seem to work at all.

Jonny 290: You said you had done this in YOSPOS but I can't seem to figure out how.

I rebuilt the yosvape rpi SD card this week and confirm that all I had to do was:

-Burn raspbian to SD card
-log into your router admin page, take note of what DHCP leases it's handed out.
-Boot pi while plugged into the LAN
-log into your router admin page after a few minutes, find the IP that it assigned the Pi, ssh in with username:pi, pass:raspberry.

I went ahead and created a fixed DHCP mapping so that on my LAN, at least, it will always boot with the same IP, but it will still boot on a foreign network if needed (advantage over static IP on the pi itself).