Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
They've said that in addition to H.264 they have a license for MPEG-4, which presumably means they can support hardware decoding of XviD/DivX as both are based on the MPEG-4 Part 2 Advanced Simple Profile standard. They don't have a license for MPEG-2, however, which sucks for everyone in the US or Canada that wants (or wanted) to use it with a digital TV tuner for HD broadcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

This is not directly Raspberry Pi related but right now there's a Kickstarter for a Raspberry Pi-class ARM dev board that is only $9 called the CHIP. It's based on a to-be-released refresh of the AllWinner A13 called the R8 with a 1 GHz single-core ARM Cortex A8 and Mali 400 graphics. The board will have 512 MB of RAM, 4GB eMMC flash storage, audio in/out, composite video out, WiFi (b/g/n), Bluetooth 4.0, and a built-in battery controller. What I'm most interested in is an accessory board called the PocketCHIP with a battery, touchscreen display, and hardware qwerty keyboard for $49 (with a CHIP board included).

Compared to the Pi it's missing HDMI (without an additional add-on board), an SD card slot, and Ethernet and it only has 1 USB host port (though the micro USB port supports OTG). AllWinner doesn't exactly have the best open-source reputation in case that bothers you although the people running the Kickstarter claim the board will be able to run "mainline" Linux when it is released. Also shipping outside the US is outrageously expensive (however the developers claim to be "getting new quotes"). It ships in December (sold out) January if you order just a barebones board or next May if you purchase it with any accessories (though of course with any Kickstarter YMMV with ship dates).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

One of the first articles I saw on the CHIP boasted it had a faster processor than the Pi 2. Which...is true I guess, if you don't notice all the extra cores.

It looks like an interesting idea though. I may go in on the $49 option, although that touchscreen has got to look like total rear end to come in at that price point.

The Kickstarter says the PocketCHIP screen is only 470 x 272 so, yeah, expect rear end. For a portable terminal it hopefully won't be too bad. Additionally they confirmed the HDMI output will not support audio so keep that in mind if you were planning to use it for a media center or something. Also, all of the screens in their videos and pictures look pretty low-res and they haven't answered my question about what resolutions the VGA and HDMI outputs support which seems pretty suspicious. Neither of those personally impact me since all my potential applications are headless or with the PocketCHIP but if you were planning on using it for any kind of non-headless (headed?) application you should keep it in mind.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

apropos man posted:

I'm going to repurpose the Pi3 I've been using for Nvidia Game Stream to a simple OpenELEC/kodi box.

I want to image the sd card to a file and rsync the IMG file to my server in case I ever decide to revert it back to a game streaming Pi again. It's got a 16GB microSD in it and I'd like to create the image ignoring unused space because I'm only using about 4GB of the 16GB card.

Would something like this be OK:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22524

Or is there a more widespread and elegant solution?

Just use a standard disk imaging program like Clonezilla.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

PINE64 announced some of their upcoming products. The first three are particularly notable. First is the $199 "pro" version of their laptop, with a hex-core CPU (Cortex A72/A53 cores), 4 GB RAM, a 14" 1080p screen, a 10,000 mAh battery, M.2 PCIe slot, and a USB-C port that supports charging and 4k 60Hz video out. Second is some more specs of the phone they announced last year: $149 "target" price, Allwinner A64 CPU, 2 GB RAM, 720x1440 display, USB-C port, 4G LTE, 802.11n. Finally a tablet with roughly the same specs as their current laptop for $79 or $99 with a detachable keyboard and trackpad. The post is worth reading, especially for the other announcements I haven't mentioned.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 2, 2019

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

mystes posted:

Your friend probably can't even legally be showing the stream in his bar anyway.

This. Sports leagues are even worse than the RIAA/MPAA when it comes to dicking people over through copyright enforcement. If your friend doesn't have a commercial license to be showing that stuff and he gets caught out he can expect his business to be sued into oblivion.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Inept posted:

I wonder if the number of people who want dual monitors on a Pi even outweighs the number of people who will avoid buying one because they don't want to buy more weird cables.

They also have a USB-C port right there. Having a full-size HDMI built-in and allowing people who want a second display to do so via a dongle off the USB-C port would have been a much better option.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

fishmech posted:

That seems to be pretty overkill, is there a version of that which just handles the modern TLS connections on its side and spits out older SSL or TLS connections or HTTP straight up, for people who just want to browse sites that could otherwise be handled?

I think mitmproxy can do that. Assuming the browser supports SOCKS proxies SOCKS5 mode sounds like the ticket.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 21, 2019

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

The SD card in my original Raspberry Pi Model B (purchased just before they announced the 2 series :argh:) has finally died (apt-get update failed with a file system error) and I need a replacement. Is there a go-to brand/model for SD cards for Pis these days? Are there any particular specs/speed ratings I should look out for?

EDIT: After reading a few articles I picked up two 32GB Sandisk Extreme cards (purchased from the official Western Digital store to avoid playing Amazon counterfeit SD card roulette).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 20, 2020

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Niel from RetroManCave interviewed Ebon Upton about how the Raspberry Pi was created:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUq7iyT9Hcg

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Probably not. Web browsers just aren't very well optimized for video playback. If you have youtube-dl installed mpv (I'm pretty sure) can use that to extract the video stream URL and play the videos directly without you having to download them separately.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

ante posted:

If I were to consider using a Raspi for a home theatre setup, is that an actual good solution?

Some considerations:

I have a projector that is only 1080p, and probably won't be upgrading any time soon. HDMI. So this part is no problem.

I will need to add a system of speakers. Ideally 5 around my place, along with a subwoofer. I have all the speakers, with the little automotive wire terminals. I also have a beefy amplifier with those terminal outputs, along with a ton of speaker wire. The amplifier can input HDMI, or some other formats I think.

The main problem is that I really do not actually want to run wire everywhere. I feel like, given a month or two (and lack of other commitments), I could hack together an RF system with a little amplifier for each speaker, so surely someone has done this already.

Anyway, I don't know the best to do this within my constraints (and cheap, ideally), and that might be out of scope for this thread! I also have an old Chromecast, which might be the better option, but I haven't played with it in a few years with which to see what kinds of things I can actually cast to it (random-rear end web video players, ideally).

This post is rambling, I apologize.

Unless you want to run a full-on computer through your projector (and are OK with getting max 720p on streaming services that use DRM), I'd definitely suggest the Chromecast option. Or get an Onn 4K Streaming Box from Walmart for $20 which does all the modern codecs you would ever want to stream (H.264, H.265, VP9, AV1), doesn't rely on a phone (Google TV is basically a stripped-down version of Android with a TV-focused interface) and should have apps for every major streaming service. It's basically the same as the $50 Chromecast With Google TV 4k except it has a slightly slower CPU and no support for Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos, neither of which it sounds like apply to you.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

It looks like the answer is yes, but you need to install some extra software: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/IPhone_tethering

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

If we're talking about annoyances, I'm pretty annoyed that they're sticking with dual micro-HDMI instead of using a USB-C port for video out for people who want a second monitor (how many people are driving two displays from their Raspberry Pi???) with a full-sized HDMI for the primary video output. It made more sense with the Pi 4 when USB-C was still not fully baked, but USB-C video is common enough these days that it's a bit baffling, especially since they already have a custom "southbridge" chip on the Pi 5 to handle I/O. You're telling me they couldn't route the secondary video signal through that too? Even if they didn't want to re-use the power port for data as well, replace one of the USB-A ports with USB-C.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/introducing-raspberry-pi-5/#comment-1594055

The Raspberry Pi 5 does not have any hardware video encoding support and only has HEVC for hardware video decoding. All other encoding and decoding is done in software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

ePaper displays work by using electrostatic charges to shift "white" and "black" particles (which each have a positive or negative charge) around within cells inside the display. The reason you need to do a periodic full display refresh (where the image inverts one or more times before changing to a new one) is to ensure that all the particles of a given charge all stay together and do not mix with each other or become oppositely charged. If the particles become mixed the display will have lower contrast and if they become very mixed the display might become unusable. "Quick" refreshes where you just change whatever pixels directly from black to white or vice versa without inverting them is much more likely to result in the particles getting mixed together.

This information is mostly based on what I remember from this video I watched a while ago (about how ePaper displays work and how you can hack them for quicker refreshes) so I might be slightly off. I'd highly suggest watching the video if you want to learn more about these displays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsbiO8EAsGw