Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!
I'm a little disappointed that they're doing limited availability for shipping choices for their first run, but not terribly surprised (I imagine it's a pain in the rear end to get one distributor to cooperate, let alone enough to serve 192 countries). Would have been nice to know that I didn't have to get up at midnight night to try, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

Social Animal posted:

Also what kind of SD card is recommended for the pi? I don't have much experience with SD cards (never take photos!) so I'm curious as to what class people are buying.

Most users I've seen are recommending a class 4 or 6 because higher classes need more amperage -- which the Pi may or may not be able to supply -- but I've got a class 10 in mine and it works beautifully. Also the card I linked is on sale.

Fair warning, though, all of my USB stuff is plugged into the powered hub and I'm not using the video outputs, so the combined amperage draw between the SD card and an output or a keyboard might break the bank.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

Social Animal posted:

Well that is a good point in that I'll probably be using the thing through SSH more than I would be through the video output anyways. Is the amperage draw really that delicate though?

For the SD card? I doubt it. But I have seen people mention devices not getting enough power (including things with lower draw, like keyboards) using the ports on the Pi itself. But you're far more likely to bump into that issue with devices that require lots of power like wifi dongles. I also haven't the foggiest idea whether the video outputs will cause a big enough drop in amperage to other things to make a difference, either. I only mentioned that it's a possibility just in case someone was to buy a class 10 and decide I was giving bad advice 'cause they can't manage to power the SD card while trying to power other things via the Pi.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it was probably a wireless keyboard, which would require more power than a wired one.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

Pweller posted:

People who have already received their pis, what did you end up paying for shipping? (to which country)

I'm still interested in picking up a pi at some point, but not if it's $15 for shipping a $35 kit.

To the US (Chicago, but where in the US shouldn't make much difference) it cost me $43.33 shipped by Newark/Element14.

Edit: That includes $3.33 in taxes.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

Snak posted:

I know nothing about SD cards, what is a good place to buy one? Is it worth paying shipping to buy one online somewhere or should I just get one at walmart?

I ordered on July 13 from Newark and mine shipped July 30th. I just need and SD card and a power supply.

I'm using this card. It doesn't get used to its full potential because the RasPi isn't capable of writing or reading from the card at its full speed, I don't think.

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ dd count=1024 bs=1M if=/dev/zero of=/home/pi/writetest.img
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 120.355 s, 8.9 MB/s

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ time cat writetest.img > /dev/null
real 0m51.607s
user 0m0.180s
sys 0m9.100s

Writing at 8.9MB/s and reading at 19.8MB/s.

Prize Loser fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 1, 2012

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

I ordered one from Newark on launch day and got it a couple of months back, then I ordered a second one a few days ago. They called me up to thank me for my orders and gave me a 15% discount coupon code that's good through the rest of the year. They said to share it with my whomever I like, so goons get to benefit from it. The code is NEW2P.

I'm not super likely to end up using the code, but I thought it was a nice gesture.

Also the Pi I ordered a couple of days ago says it won't ship until the end of October, but I'll post back and say if that lead time is accurate when I get a shipping notification. I did specifically request a revision 2.0 board, though, so it's possible that my order will end up on hold for a bit.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

klosterdev posted:

I've got a bit of a specific question. I'm thinking about ordering a Raspberry Pi to get the same function as a smart TV box. That requires a few things and I want to make sure I can do it with Xbian.

1. Can I use it to access SAMBA shares?
2. Can I remote desktop to it in any way? (Android as a remote would be best, Windows might work)
3. Can it play all major video formats and handle .mkv's?

I'd appreciate the help.

1. Yes
2. Shell sessions, yes. Video sessions maybe with a lot of work -- VNC may not work and Synergy will not work because XBMC does not use X.
3. Only h.264 is hardware-accelerated. The container format doesn't matter so much. You should be okay with .mkv files as long as the video format is h.264. Otherwise you're stuck with software rendering, which may not necessarily be able to handle everything you throw at it. SD might be fine rendered by software, but it will depend on the encoding and specific resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

Prize Loser posted:

Also the Pi I ordered a couple of days ago says it won't ship until the end of October, but I'll post back and say if that lead time is accurate when I get a shipping notification. I did specifically request a revision 2.0 board, though, so it's possible that my order will end up on hold for a bit.

I placed my order October 1st, I got an email today (October 15th) saying that I would be receiving a 512MB RAM unit and then another email today with a tracking number. My original lead said it would ship on November 1st.

Edit: This is through Newark, of course.