Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I've been using a combination of Pi Zero 2W's and MotioneyeOS (basically a really stripped down install with Motioneye and board drivers and that's it) as IP cameras feeding into an AgentDVR install on a NUC. Overall they work pretty well with the CSI port and OV5647 camera modules, and the modules are pretty great because you can swap out the lenses and get pretty great gains for relatively cheap.

That one has the pretty garbage 2.8mm lens that it came with swapped for a 2.8-12mm varifocal glass lens. It also has an automatically controlled IR cutoff and IR illuminators for ~night vision~. I added heatsinks to the back of the illuminators because they tend to get uncomfortably warm.

I also had a Zero 2W I ordered on like Feb 2nd get lost in the postal system, and after a couple weeks got a refund for it and ordered another. Then on the 28th USPS stuffed an absolutely haggard package in my mailbox, so free pi I guess. Since I didn't have a case or camera for it at the moment, I got out the laser cutter and some 3mm walnut ply and went to town:

If anyone wants the .svg for the case, I'll figure out somewhere to host it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I build goofy pi cameras out of the zero 2's, they're pretty decent for making wireless security cams/DIY ring clones/webcams:

One with a swapped 2.8-12mm variable focus glass lens on an M12 IR-auto-switching OV5647:

One with a 120 degree OV5647 as my peephole cam, the nano-tape I'm using to angle the module needs to be cleaned up, but meh:

A HQ camera IMX477 with a 4-12mm variable focus on it that I use for a multipurpose laser monitoring cam/webcam, I actually have a 5-50mm lens on it now that I've been trying out, and a 35mm on the way:

I have a couple IMX219 camera modules with M12 mount lenses I'm itching to try out when aliex finally gets them to me.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I use them in an apartment building but they could easily be waterproofed, or you could stick the pi out of the way somewhere and only expose the cam module while using a 30cm+ CSI ribbon cable. Or, you could use a waterproof USB webcam and whatever cable length you'd need. MotioneyeOS is pretty forgiving of USB webcams (you can use the pi 3 version of MotioneyeOS on the pi zero 2's as they're basically the same hardware).

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Welps got the IMX219 modules in and hooked up and was beating my head against the wall trying to get them working. They'd appear as a valid camera choice in MeyeOS, but they'd just give me a solid grey source for video. Tried hooking them up via a rasbian CLI build I use for webcam use, but got nothing but "windows cannot recognize the device" errors. Finally went and started digging around, and there are some IMX219's that have some sort of encryption scheme on them and are Jetson Nano only. Went back to the aliex ad for them, and all they mention in compatibility is JN's.

Whoops, $30 lesson learned. Now to wait ~30 days for proper ones from aliex to show up lol

spookykid fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 17, 2024

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
yeah motioneye uses libcamera2 which doesn't support the pi cam v3, libcamera3 does, and a bunch of people have been waiting for meye to move to libcamera3 (and other non-depreciated assets) for a myriad of reasons.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I'm upset about it as well, but like most things linux you're getting what you're paying for. (I wish I could throw $50 at the motioneye folks and have everything fixed, but like many things it's a labor of love dependent on the amount of time the principal people involved have to throw at it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Orange Pi Zero 2W also has u.fl