Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

poeticoddity posted:

I'm just going to point out that you could buy 50 Raspberry Pi Zeros with that, and that would be pretty amusing.

This would actually be pretty cool because he could throw a new pi at whatever project he comes up with on a whim.

Problem would be every time he wants to put one in service he'd have to buy a psu and sd card at a minimum..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

are heat sinks necessary for rpi3?

I would say no but they don't hurt right? One of my cases is a $10 special from aliexpress and it came with heatsinks and a little fan. If I were ordering now I'd get the flirc case from amazon that has an integrated heatsink. If you don't have any heatsinks and aren't planning on overclocking I'd say that's fine, the official case doesn't come with heatsinks.

mewse
May 2, 2006

1st gen would need a wifi dongle to run pi hole

disregard I should probably read about pi hole

mewse
May 2, 2006

I drive a BBW posted:

I’d like to set up an rPi for Pi-Hole. Is there a recommended power supply, case, and SD card to get so I can just set this up and forget about it? Should I just get the CanaKit starter kit from Amazon? This will be plugged into a UPS so power surges shouldn’t be an issue.

The kit is good because you don't have to worry about buying pi + case + psu + sd card all separately, but the flirc case is apparently best in class and affordable from amazon so it might be worth just buying the things separately.

e: oh hmm the flirc case doesn't seem to be sold by amazon anymore :/

mewse fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 21, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

I took up diy keyboard poo poo recently and through hole components are very, very easy to solder with a cheap kit from amazon

mewse
May 2, 2006

I had to rename mine "krembot" and then it seemed to have carte blanche to facebook's API

mewse
May 2, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

This might be more of a general linux question rather than an raspberry pi question, but I can manually mount my Freenas box to a designated folder, but for whatever reason, nothing I do to my fstab options gets it to mount on boot, which I would like. I tried googling stuff, but everything I see seems to indicate that I have the commands right:

code:
//192.168.0.202/data/ /home/pi/Desktop/Freenas cifs username=NAME,password=PASS,workgroup=WORKGROUP,vers=1.0,users,auto,user_xattr 0 0
Someone suggested making the last 0 a 2, but that didnt change anything. Worst case i could have a cronjob mount -a at boot, but that'd be a little annoying because I just want it to auto-mount.

This thread suggests adding _netdev to your cifs options

e: and theres a shell script in there that shows how to test if your network is up lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

When you get frustrated/terrified of wiring mains voltage there is a device called the power tail that safely passes mains voltage but is electronically signaled for on/off

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's a cell phone SoC, there must be a way to sleep it between photos

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sockser posted:

Oh, sorry for not being clear: just looking for suggestions on sourcing cheap smallish screens

Like ideally I’d like to be laying <$20/screen

My best idea is scouring aliexpress for "pi screen" but it looks like you are looking at around $30 for 5" displays.

The problem with buying used portable dvd players would be interfacing them which could blow your budget.

mewse
May 2, 2006

That's super cool, must be very satisfying to have that all put together. Is it pulling internet data?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yeah, get that thing on a battery for the added convenience of having to recharge it all the time

mewse
May 2, 2006

wolrah posted:

Eben Upton, the founder of the Pi Foundation, used to be a chip designer at Broadcom. AFAIK the first-gen Pi was basically a stripped down version of the reference platform for one of their set-top box SoCs.

I recall reading that the later chips used in the 2 and 3 are customized specifically for the Pi foundation and are not available to third parties. Not sure how true that is.

Either way, it's a safe bet that official RPi products will be Broadcom-based pretty much forever unless something really stupid happens.

It's nice if broadcom became invested to the point of designing custom silicon, because usually these low cost boards are on some dead end, poorly documented platform. Credit to the RPi foundation for having the vision tho.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't want to wade into this slapfight but if you install a daemon in debian, the package will generally provide the init scripts to run the daemon on boot, it doesn't have anything to do with how barebones the hardware is - and the pi isn't really barebones, it's a full linux system not some microcontroller

mewse
May 2, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

It'll be a cold day in hell before RPI's come with not-Broadcom SoCs. They're practically joined at the hip at this point.

They were from the beginning, Eben Upton still works at Broadcom even

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rexxed posted:

But what if he needs 6000 relays and switches? Maybe he's playing WoW with a custom controller.

Keyboard matrix maybe

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rexxed posted:

I know we're veering off topic and it's kind of my fault but this reminded me of Tom Scott doing a goofy emoji keyboard with a bunch of keyboards and autohotkey. He's a little longwinded since he's geared for a non-technical audience but as a long time AHK user I thought it was kind of interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIFE7h3m40U

I mentioned keyboard because I think that chip sagebrush mentioned is used in the dactyl split DIY keyboard that I have halfquarter completed on my workbench

mewse
May 2, 2006

ante posted:

My understanding is that it's just a DNS server, so it won't have any effect on your transfers. Initial DNS lookup, once per packet, will probably add a microsecond or two to your latency I guess

This is my understanding as well. Pi hole is a dns server (built on dnsmasq?) it doesn’t route all your traffic through the pi which would have performance concerns

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hadlock posted:

It's basically a Zero W with full size USB and HDMI

Having the full blown processor is a huge difference, the zero w has a single core

mewse
May 2, 2006

Acid Reflux posted:

This is what makes it attractive to me. I'm going to pick one up to use as an Octoprint server, where the Zero sometimes falls a little short but the A+ would have more than enough horsepower. Then I can free up my 3B for something that might want the wired connection and the extra USB ports.

Yeah it should be perfect for octoprint - one USB port for the printer and still has the camera header

mewse
May 2, 2006

apropos man posted:

Is there a way to recover cards that have shat the bed in a Raspberry Pi and have subsequently been marked as "bad/read only"?

I've got two16gb microSD cards here. I can't dd zeroes to them in Linux. I can't repartition them in Linux. I can't format them in Windows. All because The Raspberry Pi crashed and set a flag on the cards to say that they were bad.

I can still see the old OS on them (Raspbian) but I can't overwrite it with anything.

You could try running a GPartEd live cd and see if there's flags on the sd that can be cleared

mewse
May 2, 2006

cargohills posted:

I was planning on buying a Raspberry Pi to use as an emulator for NES, SNES and PS1 games, but I'm not sure what to do about cooling - some people seem to swear by heatsinks, some by fans, and others say you don't need anything at all. What's best to use to fit in the official 3B+ case?

I don't think you really have to worry about cooling unless you're going to overclock. Heatsinks are cheap as poo poo.

e: also you could get the flirc case which is sexy, cheap on amazon, and is a giant alu heatsink

mewse fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 5, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dug out my OG model b to run pihole and god drat the installer is slick :stare:

e: also this dashboard has more information and graphs than I've ever seen from actual dns servers, not hopped up ad blockers

mewse fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 6, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

I found out the most recent xbox one controllers do real bluetooth and can be paired with a pi, so I built a new retropie rig with one of them. It's a little tricky to configure but very nice to play, the dpad is so much better than an xbox 360 controller.

mewse
May 2, 2006

xzzy posted:

The main problem I had with the hardware steam link is that steam only handles a single xbox controller over Bluetooth. Pair a second one and the first disappears from the list.

Haven't tried the pi app yet so no info if it's the same, just putting that out there as something to look up before you buy more controllers.

Really weird limitation. :iiam:

I was messing around with my old xbox one controller and pc wireless dongle, then wanted to update firmware on this new controller so I plugged it into my PC with a micro USB cable.

I had a bit of a moment after doing that where I realized the wireless dongle on my pc was talking to both controllers.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone else tried steam link beta on pi?

I installed it via retropie.

It runs great for me but there's something in the software stack treating my left analog input as insane mouse input which makes games unplayable :(

e: I figured it out, I needed the xpadneo driver. It added rumble support too, it's amazing.

https://github.com/atar-axis/xpadneo

mewse fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 13, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

powered

hub

mewse
May 2, 2006

:ughh:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rutibex posted:

I was thinking of creating an emulation box and I heard Raspberry Pi was a good choice. How well does the most powerful stand up for this? What's the best system it can run reasonably? I mostly want it for 2d fighting games. Can Raspberry pi handle Dreamcast emulation?

Dreamcast is pushing it. It can do PSX. 2d fighting games should be no problem, it runs mame and final burn alpha.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ETA prime said the amazon firestick has a beefier processor than raspberry pi

mewse
May 2, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yeah I can't get it to work

I should say I have an old netbook I put ubuntu server on, then I followed all the instructions to install pihole, and this is the result:

only 2 clients use the pihole, localhost & the router
obviously all adds still go thru to everyone else.
I can access the dashboard via ip/admin, but not pi.hole/admin (probably because nothing is using the pihole as the dns)
I can only access the dashboard on some browsers and not others for some reason

so basically I got a fresh new install, ran the pihole install script as admin, then changed the router to make sure the computer running pihole always has the same IP and that this IP is the only DNS server.
All the other attached devices act as if they have their old DNS info and I dunno exactly what to do to make it work for the whole network.

e: this computer i'm on now has the router set up as it's dns server, the router should then kick all dns to the pihole, right? idgi

The problem is probably your router.

I couldn't stop my d-link router from appending my ISP's dns servers to the list after pi-hole's IP that I manually specified. I ended up enabling the dhcp server in pi-hole's web interface.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Is there a thread about arduino and smaller electroic projects that don't use an entire Pi and operating system? I'm looking around IYG and SHSC but haven't seen one yet. I wanted to ask about bench power supplies and multimeters.

I'd be interested in a general electronics thread. There's a 3D printer thread and a keyboard thread, both of which are areas I've got projects going, but afaik no general electronics

mewse
May 2, 2006

robostac posted:

Theres the embedded thread in cavern of cobol for the programming side (though it's been a bit dead recently):
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500975

That one's archived lol

quote:

If its the electronic side theres the magic smoke thread in DIY which is quite active:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977

Nice!

mewse
May 2, 2006

ante posted:

Neat. You do seem to have found an edge case where that makes sense.

Do the new Pis with PoE get toasty enough to warp 3D printed ABS?

I would assume ABS would be fine because you can pour boiling water on it without it going soft. PLA might be bad

mewse
May 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

Question: While initially looking around, I see lots of talk about the audio output from a pi being garbo and people having additional soundcard devices. My mini receiver doesn't have a hdmi input, but does have optical & digital coax as well as analog. Should I get a sound card?

I've had this board in my amazon wishlist forever, when I finally set up a pi as an audio receiver some day. I've read the same things that you have about the staticky stereo jack

mewse
May 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

Put together my pi, got volumio working (which is good and easy, props for that recommendation)

At first I thought the SD card I got was bad or something, because both etcher and W32DiskImage were having write failures, or finishing a write but failing verify. Tried booting the pi with it anyways and no go. Then I was just trying to format the whole thing in exfat and that also failed out. I though I'd gotten a counterfeit card! Turns out my cheapo craptop has a lovely card reader, either it's broken or can't do SDXC. On my housemate's much older laptop it worked fine, first try.

After that everything was slick as spit. Digital audio out hat works perfectly.
Up next: make my own tiny case to hold the pi and cut the LED light pollution.

What audio hat did you end up buying? Amazon link you previously posted is broken

mewse
May 2, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Does anybody have any experience with using a Pi for Steam Link? I'm interested but I do not have a wired option. It would be on a Pi 3 B, connected to a Ubiquiti HD Nano AP, on a 100/10 connection

It runs on my retropie 3b+ over wifi - performance is fine.

mewse
May 2, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Alright, well I bought another microSD card and tried a fresh install of Raspbian, and it seems to be able to use ethernet just fine. Not looking forward to trying to migrate my installation though. Too bad dmesg isn't telling me anything helpful about this.

Compare /etc/interfaces and /etc/dhclient.* on the two images

mewse
May 2, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I'm stuck in a college course involving loving around with a Pi's networking with no textbook and a shotty professor, along with only a passing knowledge of networking. Is there a good resource that explains how DHCP servers work? All the stuff I can find online is specialized to specific applications and/or assumes you know what you're doing already

DHCP is kinda simple, your dhcp client sends an ethernet broadcast asking for dhcp and then the server replies with an ip, subnet mask, gateway, dns servers, etc etc. Everything else, configuration wise, is software specific. They want you to set up dhcpd or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Config method has changed in the 15 yrs since I messed with linux heavily but when I set up my pi-hole a couple months ago I had to configure a static ip in /etc/dhcpcd.conf which is the config file for the dhcp client -- which is absurd since setting a static ip is basically the opposite of grabbing one from dhcp.

In debian it used to be that you configured your network interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces which made a lot more sense. Looks like in raspbian now that file just has a comment saying to edit dhcpcd.conf

e: now get off my lawn