Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Jesus guys someone makes a $35 PC and you bitch that it doesn't come with a keyboard, monitor, and disk included. It's still orders of magnitude cheaper than a real PC and there are many aspects of this the real PC just can't touch (extremely low-power, fanless operation, GPIO capabilities, etc). If you don't like it, go buy a real PC, problem solved.

HDMI->DVI converters are like 5 bux on eBay and then you can use any monitor you want. Go to Goodwill and buy yourself a loving USB mouse and keyboard, that's probably another $5 or $10, if you have a phone that uses the same plug the power adapter is free (if not, another 5bux), small SD cards are <$1/gb, so worst case you're talking like $75 all up presuming you at least have a monitor or TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The real capability of this device is that it's Good Enough. It's a simple, configurable way to get data from point A to point B. You can interface any standalone USB device and get the data where it's supposed to go (via USB enclosure or network). For example, a theater PC is now a Raspberry Pi + a Happaggue HD-PVR + a USB disk, you can stream poo poo off the network or disk, or record component video in, and it consumes like 15w including drive. Meanwhile you can also do all your file/print serving, torrenting, etc off the same box.

This thing is going to absolutely devastate the low-end device market, it sets a pretty firm upper limit for what your solution can cost. Why would I buy a $100 Blueray player when I could get a Blueray drive + enclosure + Rpi for the same price, which will also walk my dog and suck my dick?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's not quite a Raspberry Pi, but is anyone else following the Parallella at all? It's basically two ARM cores supervising 16 or 64 Epiphany floating-point cores. It's not gonna challenge the NVidia cards for HPC or displace a high-end DSP but 22/90 GFLOPS for 5 watts seems pretty reasonable for something embedded and hackable. Seems like this would make simple/low-power software defined radios possible at a pretty low price point for example.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 17, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is there any way to reduce the CPU usage (not just changing nice level) of applications like SABNZBD+ and Samba Server without adversely affecting security (the usage presumably being a result of SSL)? Either of those applications is pretty much capable of maxing the CPU all on their own during a full-speed transfer. Also, Headphones has continuous high CPU utilization, on the order of 50%, regardless of whether I'm using it or not. Anything I can do to cut those down?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 15, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

quote:

The whole system cost under £2,500 (excluding switches) and has a total of 64 processors and 1Tb of memory (16Gb SD cards for each Raspberry Pi).

Yes, flash memory is totally the same thing as SDRAM :lol:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
This may not be precisely the right thread, but I have a question about the cheap ARM Android sticks that have come out recently. In particular I was looking at these, which list a maximum external HDD size of 2tb. Is that the partition size, so that I could break a single 3TB disk into a pair of 1.5TB partitions, or get around it with a GUID table somehow? Is there a kernel patch that might open up larger disk sizes?

It's not an immediate concern, but I was hoping to run a couple 3TB disks in enclosures as a cheap NAS unit, maybe throw my printers on there too.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

YouTuber posted:

Has anyone used the Raspberry Pi for Sabnzbd/Couchpotato/Sickbeard downloading to a USB Harddrive then having said HD connectable via Samba? I want to cut power usage and my current full sized HTPC computer seems to be overkill considering it has a 400w power supply. Is the Rpi capable of sending data over network to stream 720p content and is it capable of downloading and unpacking NZB files through Sabnzbd?

YouTuber posted:

That speed isn't bad since I top out at maybe 2.5mb/s on my main computer. I was more concerned with the verify portion putting the RaspPi over it's knee and crushing it.

I've got mine running in basically this exact role. I run SAB, Sickbeard, Couch Potato, Samba, and CUPS on it, with most of the storage on a USB HDD.

The short answer is "yes" to everything. The long answer is "yes but performance is very anemic". Clever use of nice settings and switches really help but are not a silver bullet.

SAB: I only run SSL connections, which severely tax the CPU. 1.5MB/s is about the best I get out of the Rpi on SAB. Nothing really seems to help this, including lower numbers of threads. Typical data rates are about 1MB/s down. It's good enough that I don't usually care, but if you want the download right now then you can always use your main PC. Verifying or extracting do heavily tax the CPU, download rates typically drop to about 200kB/s. It's probably more efficient in terms of overall time to use the "pause" switch, but who cares.

Samba: Streaming 720p works fine. Peak rates are about 6MB/s (48Mb/s) for file transfers, which isn't awful when you consider the overhead involved (SSL/USB/network sharing the CPU, USB/network sharing the USB bus).

All of the Python web interfaces (SAB/CP/SB) are quite slow. It typically takes about 10s to load the first page, with subsequent pages taking about 3s to load. Part of this is quite likely a memory issue, caused by swapping the process into memory. There is always a modest level of overhead for accessing USB (rough guess, 10% of the CPU). I have one of the first-gen 256mb units, and I'm definitely interested in jumping to something with modestly more oomph (hence the question about the Android quad-core sticks).

In the past I've tried Headphones, but it eats up a shitload of CPU and memory constantly even with no data in the DB, and the public MusicBrainz servers suck. I could probably rig up a mirror of my own (possibly on a second unit) but that's kinda :effort:

To sum it up, the Rpi is not a powerhouse and it does not multitask well. But you don't need a powerhouse to spool off some documents, serve a network share, or download some NZBs. Just realize that the more of these you do at once, the worse the performance is going to get. nice accordingly.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 6, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I've been playing around with OpenElec and holy hell is it ever pissing me off. There is NO EXCUSE for renaming "shutdown -h now" and "shutdown -r now" to "poweroff" and "reboot".

Also, no package manager because updates make your distribution insecure :rolleyes:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Factory Factory posted:

I have a problem I wonder if a Pi would solve. I have a USB-attached cable TV tuner, and the computer is in the wrong room to use it. If I fit up my Pi with the tuner, is there software available to capture the TV? Playback is not necessary - I just want it to tune, grab the video stream, and shuffle it off to network-attached storage.

While I have NOT tested this, from what I remember something like the Happauge USB HD-PVR simply dumps a stream of MPEG-4 over its USB connection. If that's how this works it should be as simple as copying from the block device to a disk somewhere, assuming there is enough bandwidth on the USB bus (since the network and SD-card also treated as USB-attached devices you effectively halve your max incoming bitrate).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 9, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Powered Descent posted:

While we're on the topic of "kinda like a Pi", somehow I managed not to hear about the BeagleBone Black until yesterday. It's five ten bucks more than a Pi and its graphics aren't as nice, but it has a much faster cpu, 2 gigs of onboard storage, and way more I/O connections. I haven't had a chance to play with one yet but it sounds pretty cool.

A comparison: http://makezine.com/magazine/how-to-choose-the-right-platform-raspberry-pi-or-beaglebone-black/

e: Oops, wrong price

I'm really looking forward to the Parallella. That is a fair bit of computing power for an embedded device.

The Pi is just a bit underpowered for even home server usage. It's OK for any one given task but if you try to do more than one thing it's just not beefy enough. And the architecture with USB as a system bus and everything bottlenecked through the CPU is a bad design, full-speed transfers from Samba to USB or the SD card basically eats most of the CPU. Giving the SD card and the network chip dedicated USB channels would probably help. It would also really help to have some kind of SSL acceleration because that slows things down pretty bad too.

Maybe it's just the 256mb version, but I feel like I would have been better served going to a slightly more expensive multi-core stick with more RAM. The Pi definitely drove those cheaper though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 6, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
They do make more powerful Android sticks, so that might be an option. RK3188 is 4x1.6ghz cores with 2gb RAM. If you need to interface something embedded you could probably use something like a Bus Pirate.

Sackmo posted:

I tried using the recharger for my Nexus 7 (5.2 volts, 1.35 amps) and it's giving me the exact same issues. There aren't as many dropped packets, but it still won't download at more than 30Kb/s.

Maybe try playing with some of the firmware settings for network-related stuff? Is it connected to a bad cable/port or subjected to a strong nearby RF source? If you have a USB ethernet or wifi adapter you might try that, if it works you've got a hardware problem.

Would running something like Memtest show supply voltage problems? How would it be stable enough to run the kernel internals and such if it's causing dropped packets like this?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 18, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Having a weird issue with OpenELEC. The Pi boots past the color gamut and then hangs at the "OpenELEC" logo. I've tried wiping and reflashing the SD card with a fresh image but it always hangs. I thought it might be a problem with the SD card, so I bought a new one, but I haven't had a chance to play with it. I have a spare board and if I drop the SD card in that one it hangs at the same place.

Ideas? It hangs reliably at that boot screen and then never comes back. SD card? Power adapter issues?

Also, question - what is a good filesystem for computers like the Pi that may experience relatively frequent power outages? I think that means journalling, so ext3 or something? ext4 has some features that make it more susceptible to data corruption if I remember.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 18, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Guacamayo posted:

What can novice in programming actually do with a Raspberry Pi? I bought one last summer to tinker with but have no idea of what I can do and even if I did, I wouldn't know where to start. Most resources I can understand are of the type "download this Linux intro packaged with XBMC or emulators".

As a programmer? Tons of stuff. There are a few caveats, the biggest being that if you are handling binaries you need an ARM binary built for v7 or whatever the Pi is.

It'll run whatever, with the given that it's a slow single core processor. I don't develop on the command line, but the gold standard is vi, and you can use the gcc suite to compile C/C++ plus gdb to debug. If you're building something big that takes a long time to compile you can set up a cmake system where your Linux/cygwin desktop computer does the heavy lifting.

You of course can program in whatever, there are packages for python or perl or ruby or erlang or whatnot. I'd get an Ubuntu based graphical hardfloat environment to start with if it's your first time in Linux. Find an IDE you like.

It's a good little micro server for usenet (sickbeard/sabnzbd+), torrents, file (samba) or print (cups) serving, OwnCloud, git repo, http serving, whatever. Python programs are platform-agnostic so they're the easiest, but they tend to be slow (maybe I should try pypy). My experience (256mb v1.0) is that SSL strains the Pi pretty hard and the Pi really can't multitask all that well. I also found that the system bogged down after a couple days of uptime and the applications I had running tended to stop responding. More memory, a modest overclock, or shifting the system over from the SD to a USB drive might help that. Generally I'm guessing the system is really bottlenecked by its architecture of using USB as a system bus.

There's also XBMC which is a media center type software. Works pretty well as long as you are using something that a GPU accelerated codec exists for - i.e. MPEG4/H264 or MPEG2 (with addon). The Pi just doesn't have the oomph for encoding or serious decoding, sometimes it bogs down just trying to draw the menus. Also apparently plugins and extensions have to be specifically compiled for ARM, so there's very few themes and that sort of thing.

If you're interested in more advanced programming stuff you should check out the Parallella. It's basically a faster, dual-core Pi with more memory and a 16 core floating-point coprocessor. Thus it (should be) orders of magnitude more powerful than the Pi. Broadcom's tight-fistedness is really unfortunate because GPU acceleration could rectify some of the areas where the Pi is weak, like SSL encryption.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 18, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Check out package netflix-desktop in ubuntu, repository ppa:pipelight/stable. I doubt you will get it working on ARM devices but x86/x64 devices do work. Note that it uninstalls regular WINE installation since they needed some custom patches.

The Broadcom release is good news. Maybe we will finally see more GPU accelerated stuff. Or maybe they will fix the USB drivers which have been bugged since release. I did some looking and I'm pretty sure that's what's causing lovely performance as a NAS or sabnzbd box, and the random "system hangs" after a couple days (actually network crapouts).

For reference, put too much load on the USB subsystem and things start breaking, specifically it starts dropping USB packets and/or the network stack craps out. It's not even a weird edge case, since the ethernet controller and the SD card are on the USB bus virtually anything you do will hit this use case. Recent firmware forces the bus speed down to a crawl to prevent the network crap-outs. As mentioned, this bug has been documented since a few weeks after release and up to this point the response has been "*shrug* what do you expect from a $35 device" and flak from the RPI team about whether this behavior is really "broken" or not.

Gee, the other $35 ARM mini PC manufacturers sure seem to do OK. I mean I feel for them a little bit since Broadcom's documentation is so bad, but they adamantly refused to consider any other supplier because they were so gung-ho on Broadcom, so they really made that bed for themselves. This documentation should have been released two years ago.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 28, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Nvidia's releasing a high-performance Rpi-alike, the Jetson TK1. Features 4+1 core 1.6ghz processor, 16gb memory, USB 3.0, SATA, half-wide Mini PCI-E, gigabit ethernet, and 192 core CUDA gpu. The Pro version features a mSATA slot with wifi, bluetooth, and GPS modules.

https://developer.nvidia.com/jetson-tk1
http://www.nvidia.com/object/jetson-automotive-development-platform.html

This is much more powerful than the Parallela and should have great code portability.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 30, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mod sassinator posted:

Huh? They're going to sell it at Newegg and Microcenter, so it's not some closed thing.

That said it's certainly not going to be something most people want. To use the power of the GPU you'll need to use CUDA and other GPU acceleration APIs, so it's really meant for stuff like video processing. It's not going to be a board you can slap XBMC on and watch videos on your TV easily. Will probably make an interesting board for people that mine cryptocurrencies though.

It exposes the standard OpenGL pipelines and such as well, you can certainly use the GPU for normal things without the CUDA API and you should be able to slap XBMC on it just fine. And the fact that it can run CUDA is actually a pretty big deal, it's the most mature GPU API out there.

Sucks that the Pro version won't be sold to consumers, though, I didn't realize that.

Amberskin posted:

192 cores at 192 dollars... Definitely not in the same league as the Rpi. Not even the same league as the Cubietruck.

Having said that, this thing has to rock!

Agreed, both on price and in capability. 192 Kepler cores isn't a ton in comparison to high-end gaming GPUs or compute cards, but it's in the same ballpark as entry-level desktop GPU, like the GT630 which also has 192 cores, and the thing has a 10W TDP. Should be capable of doing some pretty serious games right out of the box (NVIDIA demoed it running Unreal Engine 4), and NVIDIA is better about driver support than the steaming pile Broadcom squeezed out. Runs Ubuntu 13.04. On that note the open-source drivers for the Raspberry Pi are finally moving along, someone got Quake 3 running and won the prize.

Its competition is more the Parallela than the Raspberry Pi, and it stacks up pretty well there. That's the use I see for this - it'll be for applications more intensive than web-browsing/word-processing/media PC desktop work or babysit-a-USB-device NAS-type work. It'll probably be capable of stuff like real-time compression, machine vision, etc with GPU assistance, and it's already running Unreal Engine 4. CUDA acceleration is really powerful (the GPU is 10x as powerful as a Parallela, or roughly 100x as powerful as the Rpi CPU), the code will be way more portable than Parallela, and it offers a semi-unified memory architecture which is really nice. Additionally, you can do more sustained throughput because of the mini-PCI-e/USB 3.0/SATA and because they're not trying to use USB as a system bus. In that sense it'll be a lot more like a APU system than the Rpi. You should also be able to build some interesting hardware configurations with this.

e: Performance should be roughly comparable to the PS3 or Xbox 360, or a Core i5-4200u/Intel HD 4400, a mid-2013 Haswell ULV chip. 4K video can be decoded at 30fps and encoded at 24fps, 1080p decoded at 120fps and encoded at 60fps.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 31, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

hifi posted:

Which is why it was heralded as the next BBC Micro, and then it wasn't. Plenty of people have done cool stuff with it, but it's more of an alternative to a beaglebone/arduino than a groundbreaking learning tool.

I'm pretty sure I've read that it's a big hit in Africa/other poorer nations, so there is that.

It's nice for people who want to set up a computer lab in "rustic" conditions, because Pis have a low TDP, no moving parts, and run off a low-voltage DC source (eg a battery system).

But a lot of people in Africa and other poor countries do have access to computers, it's called a smartphone and old ones are pretty cheap even there. The things a Pi does that a smartphone doesn't tend to relate to programming and other educational tasks. And if you need a desktop there's cyber cafes (notoriously so, lots of internet scams run out of them).

So it's nice for schools and such, because you can stand up a computer lab cheaply and in some bad conditions, but a lot of the other needs are covered or niche enough that the Pi isn't a huge deal.

This is my understanding at least.

The fact that the initial revision of the Raspberry Pi had hardware flaws that exacerbated critical software bugs that may remain unfixed 2 years after launch probably didn't help the Pi not becoming the next BBC micro either. A flaw in the USB stack is a critical bug in a system that's architectured using USB as a system bus, and they just sat on their hands and got real indignant when people implied that losing USB packets was actually a bug.

The advantage of the Pi over cheap chinese SOCs was supposed to be support and that just didn't pan out.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 8, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

keyvin posted:

"Now you real can do your daily works on it"

If they can't put together a coherent web page, How can they put together a reliable board?

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is in England and the Rev 1.0 boards still had board-design problems. Remember how they selected the wrong polyfuse and the USB would poo poo itself over minor loads like keyboards and wifi dongles? Or how they forgot some diode and it caused enough noise to gently caress with the CEC on any other devices on the HDMI chain? They even silkscreened the wrong words on the board, if they won't even proofread how can you expect them to put together a reliable board? :smug:

Seriously guys China designs and produces a shitload of the electronics you use on a daily basis. That's everything from PCI cards all the way through whole devices like tablets. If you have a knockoff brand phone or tablet it's probably designed in China, and they reverse-engineer knockoffs of new name-brand products within days, no problem. There's already tons of knockoff Android MiniPCs out there and they work just fine, this is just one of those with a Debian-based kernel instead of Android (and without a case, so you can feel all technical and poo poo).

Every device has minor bugs and goes through revisions and improvements, what matters is how responsive the manufacturer is. And the Pi Foundation has had its failings there too (eg it took them 1.5-2 years before they got the USB firmware to stop dropping packets and they were pretty lovely to people who complained about it or bugreported). That kind of stuff is honestly what I'd be more worried about than board problems or it being a scam - relatively small bugs that have large impacts and never get fixed. Of course it's entirely possible that the Chinese SoC manufacturer is more forthcoming with the necessary documentation than Broadcom was (can't really be much worse).

Personally I'd rather see something with a higher-specced SoC if I'm gonna buy Chinese junk, or buy one of the Nvidia Jetson TK1 Tegra-based system-on-boards for something supported. It's pretty expensive for what it is - you can get quad-core Android mini-PCs with 2gb of memory for cheaper than the Banana Pi's 1gb dual-core. Way better than 256mb single-core of course, but that's why it's not a scam - it's 50% more expensive than equally-specced better-featured competitors. Some factory probably just took one of their mini PCs, threw the Raspberry Pi GPIO header on there, and marked it up a bunch to cash in on the Raspberry Pi name.

I'm glad to see that manufacturers are starting to shift to offering real Linux kernels instead of Android, though. There's a few hobbyists tinkering around with the MK### Rockchip-based devices but all the official support is (sensibly) focused around Android. More memory and more (and faster) cores would make the Pi a lot more effective at things like serving Samba via SSL, as would opening up the GPU with OpenCL or some other heterogenous-computing API.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 25, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rexxed posted:

This hasn't been officially announced but hackaday reposted this article about someone being shipped a Raspberry Pi B+ which is a new revision (the original is:

The main differences seem to be a switching power supply, 40 pin connector (27 as GPIO), 4x USB 2.0 connectors and just a generally better layout. Notable lack of a composite video RCA jack has speculation about the audio output being a 4 pole port with composite video being added to it, but there's no confirmation yet. Unfortunately the CPU is still 700mhz single core, but at least the layout is much better.

So there's now 3 different connectors/pinouts between various Pi revisions?

I still don't think this is enough to push back the tide of better-specced competitors that have come out over the last couple years. It's "something for nothing" in the sense that they're at least not raising their prices on the new revision, but comparing it apples-to-apples with other mini-PCs (adding a flash card and power adapter, say $60 total) it's still underspecced.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 14, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

TVarmy posted:

I was wondering if there are any good really small, inexpensive and low powered boards like the Raspberry Pi but instead of focusing on GPIO or graphics, the board instead had better I/O and processor performance and compatibility with SATA hard drives?

This actually just came up in a Slashdot topic.

The answers were roughly:

• Intel NUC
  • Shuttle DS437 (same idea)
  • PC-Engines APU
  • NVIDIA Jetson TK-1

I don't think the APU can boot directly from SATA, so you'd need either mSATA or some kind of SD-card based bootloader.

I think the NUC or a shuttle box is probably the best option.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
This doesn't quite fit in any thread I can find in SH/SC but here goes.

Basically what I want to do is use my Pi as a network receiver type thing. I want to be able to create an output audio device in Windows or Linux that connects across the network to the Pi and plays audio through the Pi's speaker connection.

Does anyone have any idea how I would go about doing that? Is something like UPnP a good basis for this kind of task?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

quote:

WRTnode is a high performance CPU, low power consuming, cheap, and samll dev board that can run OpenWRT OS and also easy to port all open source software of Linux.

Today, more and more devices could connect to internet, named Internet of Things. The WRTnode is a small node which could connect internet all by itself and do something complicated. Such as track a cat running over, identify what you are saying and twitter it, check email and pronounce for you, learn how your room layout and find garbage to sweep while streaming camera video to you over internet.

Features:
Opensource hardware for OpenWrt
mini Linux+Wi-Fi board
easy and completed IDE
smart machines' heart
low power-consuming
complete I/Os, high performance
300MBit/s Wi-Fi and low price

Hardware Specification:
45mm*50mm
MTK MT7620N 600MHz mips cpu (MIPS24KEc)
512Mb DDR2ram
128Mb spi flash
2T2R 802.11n 2.4 GHz
23GPIOs
5-Port PHY (JTAG)
SPI
UART Lite
USB2.0
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/preorder-WRTnode-Open-Source-and-Mini-OpenWRT-Dev-Board-p-1980.html?cPath=19_20

e: Actually it's only 512 Megabits of memory, so 64 MB. Also, doesn't seem to have audio/video output.

Still though it should be pretty nice for a lot of the "DIY NAS" or "DIY I2C/SPI to network" adapter type roles the Rasperry Pi gets pressed into.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 19, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A quick heads-up, I'm trying to sell a couple Pis over in SA-Mart if anyone's interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3673633

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The Rpi foundation is still aiming for a new hardware refresh in 2017, because they're afraid new hardware might break compatibility. I think by that time they'll be pretty much toast.

In terms of price and performance, the balance has been tilting away from the Rpi for ages. First it was "you can pay a little more and get a lot more capability", but now the competitors are offering just straight up better products at the same price point. Kinda reminds me of AMD - they're trying to run the budget and low-power niches, but then they don't have any countermove when a G3258/Z97 bundle drops to $100.

I get the appeal of "long term support" hardware/software, but if that's your selling point then you can't leave major bugs in your kernels for >2 years and complain when people point it out. To my mind, their support hasn't really been something you would be wise to rely on in the first place.

Their idea that "we'll maintain marketshare by selling a 7in touchscreen kit" seems pretty fanciful as well, to say the least. Such kits are already readily available.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 2, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mod sassinator posted:

Depends what you're looking for with 'better' hardware. Sure if you just want a faster CPU, GPU, etc. to run some games and media center stuff it will always be a competitive environment. However if you're looking for a good community to get started with hardware hacking, the Pi is really the best there is right now. All the other platforms like the Bannana Pi, ODroid, etc. can't match the Pi's support for hardware libraries, tutorials, etc. The raw speed of the Pi doesn't really matter that much when you're just twiddling some GPIO lines or talking to I2C, SPI, etc. devices (that communicate at maybe a mhz or two at most).

If all you're doing is twiddling some GPIO lines or talking to I2C, SPI, etc at 1mhz, use an Arduino. For those given tasks, it's by far the easiest way from A to B, and the community is extremely strong there too.

And if you're really looking for an OS-based solution instead of a microcontroller - say, you want to connect this to the internet or something - the BeagleBone Black is going to be able to twiddle those GPIOs a lot better than the Raspberry Pi. Faster processor, more GPIOs, onboard ADCs, onboard timers, fast onboard eMMC vs the troublesome and slow SD card interface, etc. Again, pretty popular device that you will be able to get community support on - all at an equivalent price to the Rpi.

Like, I get the "it's good enough" argument - but you can buy something else that will be more than good enough for the same money, and then your next project won't be constrained by a lowest-common-denominator platform from 2011.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 2, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Now that I've gone and shot my mouth off, here's something cool that the RPI community has gone and done:

http://maazl.de/project/vc4asm/doc/index.html

:stare:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fliptophead posted:

Anyone had any luck installing ffmpeg on raspbian with support for converting .avi to .m4v? I have a heap of .avi on a mount on a rpi (which I can't disconnect as it's also my stereo receiver...) which took forever to transfer. I don't want to disconnect the drive as I have a feeling it will muck iTunes' super sensitive filing up and my wife will kill me if that happens. Are there any alternatives??

Edit: I'm doing this all through the cli but if there's a gui option I'm all ears! I can make that happen.

I'd try the basic ffmpeg in the apt-get repositories first - you may need to add the "contrib" or "non-free" package trees to your sources file. There's a guide to compiling from source, but this guy had it crash during the cross-compile and suggests you build it directly on the pi. ffmpeg is pretty big and the Rpi is pretty anemic so that'll take a while (hours).

I think the Pi will be drastically underpowered at encoding - I'm guessing you'll be lucky to do a frame per second. Can you kill iTunes, plug the disk/card/etc into a better pc, copy them off, then put it back together before you restart iTunes? In that case it should never notice the mount was gone...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fliptophead posted:

Thanks for the replies. You confirmed a suspicion I had there, that the thing wouldn't be capable of transcoding anyway! I'll just transfer a file st a time back to my laptop and do it there. It'll be a lot quicker on that.

For the record I didn't realize there was a hardware encoder on the Pi. Assuming that you get it working, it will be capable of doing encodings at a pretty good clip. HOWEVER bear in mind that hardware encoders often sacrifice quality compared to software encoders - if you are going to archive these somewhere and you care about video quality, you may be better off using a software encoder.

Another thing to look at - AVI is a container (file format), not a video codec. If the video stream inside the AVI uses an MPEG4-standard codec - i.e. DIVX, XVID, H264 - then you might also be able to stick the stream into the MP4 container without re-encoding. This will be much faster and you won't get quality loss from transcoding. First thing I happened on with a quick Google search, says it has a Linux version: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MP4Box

nmfree posted:

OK, that is pretty neat.

Of course the only real-world application that will probably see is buttcoins sooooo

GPU processing will definitely get used for some "hard" tasks like machine vision (OpenCV), FFTs, maybe audio processing. It'll offer pretty major power savings for anything that can be offloaded, since you won't be blasting the CPU full tilt/overclocking/etc. It'd be even cooler if this led to OpenCL support, since that's one of the common frameworks for implementing GPU offload.

It won't be anywhere near as powerful or useful as something like an NVIDIA Jetson TK1 board, but it's not $200 either. Of course at that point you also get a bunch more features, like SATA, USB3.0, mini-PCIe, etc...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 3, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mod sassinator posted:

Sure, now please show us how to connect a sensor like this or LEDS like these to your PC and control them in Python/C++/JavaScript/etc. Without buying hardware that costs more than the Pi.

Here you go, this is $8 cheaper than the Pi B or Pi 2.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Bus-Pirate-v36-universal-serial-interface-p-609.html

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus_Pirate_Scripting_in_Python

All in one USB to SPI/I2C/etc, PWM generator, 10MHz logic analyzer, etc. The Pi isn't the only hammer for that particular nail. Even at the $35 price point.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 6, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Amberskin posted:

Unrelated question: Do any of you guys have trouble feeding the Raspberry Pi B+? Mine is very picky with the USB cables, and does not work with two cables which feed other raspberry pi Bs without any problem. But the B+ does not want to work with those: it enters a reboot loop and never goes beyond the kernel loading (it reboots as soon as it mounts the root partition). Except if I use two specific cables (which are not special in any way btw).

Just to echo the crowd, I had my own power issues with the Pi. It's extremely picky about power quality and delivery. I also agree that the SD slot is garbage.

I decided to spring for something a bit nicer than the Pi as a media PC. I bought a prebuilt Zotac Zbox with a dual-core Haswell for $160 shipped. Gets you 2gb of memory (upgradable with 2 slots), an internal 64gb eMMC disk, a 2.5" internal bay, 4x USB 3.0 ports, gig ethernet that's not on the USB bus, and a Windows 8.1 license.

It's way more expandable, still only pulls 15w at load, and it'll also run Sonarr instead of just being a dedicated OpenELEC box. The Pi is a cute concept and throwaway hardware has its place, but I'm tired of dealing with underspecced and cheaply-built hardware. My new box doesn't poo poo itself if I pop a flash, it doesn't have mystery issues with power cords and flash cards, I can get data on and off it at reasonable speeds, and it's not a sealed black-box from a lovely OEM. It's just worth paying a bit more.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fuzz1111 posted:

Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath for that, they recently closed the android thread on the official forums "due to the repetitive questions on this forum taking up valuable moderator time with little or no benefit to the community". There is no proper android video driver and there probably never will be - android needs a video accelerated UI and you don't really get that even in linux (hence no unity in the ubuntu image for raspberry pi 2).

The Rpi community is really great, the leadership is really awful. This is not the first time I've seen this kind of behavior.

mod sassinator posted:

Be careful, the Pi doesn't really make a good file server. The disk performance is super slow because it goes over the USB 2.0 bus, and it can't supply a ton of power to USB devices so you'll need an external power supply for the USB device (or a powered hub). It's better for running a little Linux server to mess around with, learn programming, etc. If you're trying to serve files for computers on your network you'll probably be pretty annoyed with it.

Yup, agreed. I personally moved to a combination of a Kabini fileserver for Samba and my library mangers, and a Zbox BI320 with a Haswell Celeron 2957U for a TV PC. For that kind of stuff you can get some pretty big performance jumps by moving to low-power desktop hardware, and it doesn't even really use much more power. My BI320 idles at 5W and peaks at 15W.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 22, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

adorai posted:

I'm a normal IT guy with zero electronics experience but a few raspberry pi powered projects in mind. I have my first pi, and have created a very basic proof of concept for my first project. It's very basic though, and I need to do some more experimentation. I know that at this point I really want a cheap rear end variety pack of resistors, relays, and leds for testing. Unfortunately, googling that phrase wasn't necessarily helpful and I don't want to order a bunch of individual parts when I know someone else probably sells a starter kit that is exactly what I am looking for. Can someone point to such a starter kit?

How about something like http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/ARDX-The-starter-kit-for-Arduino-p-1153.html

That said, you're undoubtedly getting ripped off for some $0.05 per piece parts. If you look up a list yourself, you can order them yourself much cheaper. Or, look up some plans for a couple projects you want to do, put together a bill of materials, then put in a Mouser or Digikey order. You can also try eBay.

There's tons of stuff that's sold out of China, or you can filter to US sellers only to get items much quicker. You'll probably be getting 10-100x as many resistors/transistors/whatever for the same price.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

YouTuber posted:

Yeah the way they handled it just means those posts are going to end up in other forums. The best way to handle it would be to make a detailed post as to why an Android port is improbable under the current circumstances.

The ideal solution would be to find a mega nerd who works in the driver business that is in between job and kickstart some funds to get him to work on it for a year or two. But instead we kickstart 50 grand towards aluminium cases and poo poo.

I'm still butthurt over their hyperbolic response to people noticing that their USB driver was broken. If you tried to run it in High Speed mode it would start dropping packets - which virtually cripples a device that uses USB as a system bus. Their moderators were locking threads and banning people who pointed this out in forums, responding with "well we never said the USB would be compatible with ALL devices..." and "our kernel team is one guy who codes in his spare time!" style excuses, etc.

Their selling point over random Chinese garbage was supposed to be support, and they failed hard on that. If I wanted support to consist of one guy hacking in his basement then I can choose from a huge variety of hardware. My Pis were useless for the purposes I intended, I ended up selling them and replacing them with things like Bus Pirates and low-power x86 machines and I haven't looked back.

The ideal solution is that if you want an Android mini PC you go buy one on GeekBuying or Amazon. I got a quad-core RK3188 Android stick for like $60 two years ago. Considering that it had onboard flash storage, that's the same as a Pi cost, and spec-wise it's equal to a Pi2.

It's not my job to kickstart people to write their device drivers for them, or to hack up an Android environment. If they can't afford to do it themselves then the commonly-accepted answer is to open their codebase and let the community do it themselves. The Pi Foundation insisted on sourcing their parts from Broadcom, who are well-known to be one of the least-open and least-supportive OEMs, and then when it came out broken they tried to play it off as a "hacker-friendly, some-assembly-required" device with closed-source drivers that were impossible to fix. They poo poo their own bed and burned all the goodwill I had toward them, and I'm really not surprised their mods are still shitlords.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 23, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GobiasIndustries posted:

Wireless has been working fine for my current box, which is also running on a super cheap USB 802.11N card, so if I can get it to where I can watch all but a few of my super-high quality 1080p movies, I'll be OK with it. As is, 720p streaming seems to be fine for the pi after switching to the NFS shares, which covers about 80% of the files on my server. Unfortunately I don't have much of a choice about the wireless at the moment unless I run a cat5 cord down my hallway and all the way across my living room. I could get Comcast to come out and change the drop location for the modem, but both my file server and home lab would also need to be moved with it, and I'd rather keep those where they are.

You sound like a good candidate for a powerline ethernet adapter. Speed can be low on some of the cheaper ones, for streaming HD I'd buy the gigabit units.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Unless you're overclocking it pretty hard, which makes no goddamned sense at all. If you're after more than the Pi can deliver, move to a low-power x86 setup. Something like a Celeron 2957U, Athlon 5350, or one of the Bay Trail-M processors. Something like the LIVA mini-pc is just about the same form-factor as the Pi, peaks at 15W, and is pretty comparable in price once you factor in all the things it's got onboard that the Pi doesn't.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
On the other hand I used to pull the plug and it did cause me data loss on the SD. Don't do it as plan A, especially not with data you care about.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Boz0r posted:

How hard would it be to set up a sort of dual boot for a media center and a console emulator, preferably with an easy way to switch between them?

I have no experience with Linux but a lot of experience with programming.

You want a boot loader. On bigger machines this is GRUB, on Pi maybe try BerryBoot. Slice your card into partitions for each OS install. Good luck.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

calandryll posted:

Got Volumio up and running and looking good. Dear God does the headphone jack on the Pi suck, I'll be snagging a DAC very soon. Has anyone played around with using Google Cast on the Pi? I'd like to send my podcasts from my phone to play. BubbleUPNP can do it with Pocket Casts but starts from the beginning. Pocket Casts has Google Cast builtin and would love to use that.

They make DAC addon shields that that run over the GPIO bus. Check out the HiFiBerry and the Wolfson audio board.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dylan16807 posted:

If it's a single file then yes making a copy is simple if you manage to think of it ahead of time. If it's spread out, or involves package management, sometimes it's easier to say "gently caress it". Linux tends to be pretty easy to reinstall.

Yeah that's one thing that's great about Linux. There's no magic, if you copy the config files to a new machine it should drop right in and work (assuming the versions are the same, etc).

For saving your package management config, I've always thought about setting up a cronjob on a script that makes apt dump a list of the installed packages (no dependencies) to a text file, which you back up by whatever means. You could version control it, even, just have the script automatically git add the file and commit+push. If you need to reinstall you should be able to slice the file up and pass it as arguments to apt-get install. Assuming that you're on the same dist version and everything, that plus the config file backups should instantly reconstitute a working system. Or at least the parts that the package manager knows about.

quote:

The best option is a filesystem that supports snapshots.

The obvious suggestion there is ZFS. Linux has historically not had very good support for ZFS and I'd imagine that Raspberry Pi is probably an even more exotic use-case. If you're feeling frisky maybe look at FreeBSD, BSDs have better ZFS support and FreeBSD has an RPi build. It's a lot less plug-and-play than an Ubuntu flavor, though.

As for more practical solutions that don't involve exotic software configurations, all the cool kids are doing Dotfiles for their account configs. You set up a Git version-control repo in your home directory, check all your settings files in, push them to Bitbucket or Github, and then you can instantly spin up a customized account anywhere you want just by doing a checkout.

For systems config files, the two solutions I'd tend to suggest would be rsync and git-annex.

rsync is the gold-standard backup and file-copy application, you could just set a cronjob to push a copy of your /etc/ and /home/ folders to your fileserver every night. Doesn't cover the full version-control use case but it's dirt simple. Just make sure you don't hose your config right before the backup starts. You can avoid copying big files with the --size-limit argument, or you can get real fancy by using find to select files and piping the results to parallel to slice the lines into source file arguments for rsync.

If you want to pull out the big guns then git-annex is the way to go. It's basically a distributed journalled virtual filesystem that uses a Git version control repo as a file table. You mount real directories into the virtual filesystem and it moves data around using rsync. It's capable of doing stuff like automatically pushing to remote machines to maintain N-copy redundancy for protection against disk crashes. And because it uses hashing for file versioning, file integrity assurance is baked in. If a copy goes bad, it can automatically push a clean copy to somewhere else to maintain the specified redundancy.

You can do crazy poo poo with git-annex. Of course people use it like a dropbox clone, but that's pretty mundane. Git annex can work with offline sources, so you can use it to do things like set up a media library that spans multiple Blueray discs with a single filesystem. When you try to load a particular file it'll tell you what sources it needs to bring online, which translates to "put in either disk 21 or disk 32". Or you can automatically transfer files between machines using a USB stick as a transfer mechanism. It will write the files to a thumbdrive, then commit and push the fact that the files are on the thumbdrive. When you plug in the thumbdrive the other machine will see the source come online, copy the files off, delete them from the thumbdrive, and commit the fact that the files have arrived. If you can think of a use-case or a feature someone has probably already done it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Couple dumb questions, IIRC there's a "share printer" option in CUPS. You checked that box, right? Have you tried connecting to the printer with user:password@address, where user has permission to touch the printer (can't remember if CUPS has its own user manager or whether there's a group or it's a free for all).

I couldn't make CUPS work with the Rpi myself, because there were no ARM drivers for my printer and I couldn't make any of the standard printer profiles work properly. :sigh: I ended up giving in and upgrading to a wireless laser multifunction for like $120, which was a fantastic decision. It's a strong independent model who don't need no print server! :nyd:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 22, 2015