Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

huhu posted:

I have a camera/raspberry pi setup in my makerspace which I'd like to upload images to my hosting. My current thoughts with regards to security are to password protect the Raspberry Pi itself and then use SSH to send files from the Pi to my hosting. As far as leaving the login info to my hosting on the Pi, should I be worried about this? Is there some way to have it so the Pi can only have access to create image files on my hosting and do nothing else?

chown -R huhu:huhu mydir
chmod -R +0700 mydir

I suck at linux security though, am I missing some poo poo with the sticky bit or other obscure bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xtal posted:

This depends on how paranoid you want to be. Any common file transfer protocol that lets you write will also let you read and overwrite. You could rig together a program that takes input and writes it to a file, authorized by a shared secret, and not worry much if the secret was compromised. This may also be possible using the command option in authorized_keys?

that would vastly be my preference (letting standard unix user permissions work) versus any sort of homebrew thing that enables groups/anyone to write your files

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eschaton posted:

You can prototype it with just a regular display and mouse, the touchscreen just sends mouse events. (Right? Or are they "touch" events now?) Just keep in mind the dimensions of the touch screen when you're designing, so you can call your project out as being designed for it and working with it.

Also, if you can, make your thing a real app using a real native UI framework rather than a web page. That'll also count for a lot; tons of people can poo poo out a web page with database backing, far fewer can build real native software. Or hell, you could even use Java—while non-Android Java UI development is pretty much dead, its concepts translate elsewhere, and it should perform just fine on a Pi3.

For personal projects... nowadays for simple interfaces I am leaning more and more heavily towards (n)curses-style libraries (if you've never used these: basically imagine like the Ubuntu alternate/non-graphical installer). It's a nice middle ground between raw console input and a full-on web-based browser interface.

There aren't any straight-up ncurses implementations for Java, but there is a full-native clone called Lanterna that I've played with a bit that is fairly OK. The other choice is Charva - which is a Swing renderer that runs in a console, so kind of an interesting hybrid of GUI and console. Looks pretty interesting.

Python might be a better choice for that kind of thing but I can't bring myself to start projects in it while knowing what I know about the GIL and the consequent limitations on threading your code down the road if you need to.

Spring/Thymeleaf is a nice stack for web stuff but there is a lot of dumb plumbing you need to do before you get down to coding poo poo (the good news: do it once, or find an archetype that does what you want, and you can just copy/paste it forever). Ruby is OK and Rails does a pretty good job of cutting out the burden of configuration and letting you get going asap, but I'm not a super big fan of dynamic typing for non-trivial projects.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 15, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xtal posted:

What camera should I get for all-day surveillance? Does that even exist, something that can record both during the day and at night? Or do people just get a day camera and turn lights on?

There's no such thing as a camera that can work without light. You can, however get cameras that have both a "day mode" and also a "night mode" where it's sensitive to infrared and has little IR LEDs that don't show up (much) in the visible spectrum. Illuminators don't work well through glass though (it tends to reflect the light back).

If you want to illuminate something outside, you can get IR LED/incandescent/halogen/whatever bulbs too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 15, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Would an RPi be of any use to 17-year-old kid who loves tech but doesn't have a computer with access to the internet? My fiance's little brother has a mind for computers and loves "hacking" his electronics (smartphone, smartwatch, tablet), but he's in a rural spot without an actual PC or home internet (outside of his phone's data plan)... he could probably use the internet at a friend's house though.

Anyway, he would love a chance to play around with something more serious.

He's gonna be visiting us for a week or two, so we can get the thing set up here, but I've never used one before and don't know if he could get much out of it once he goes back home.

Sure, but it'll help if he has access to another computer. Also, without internet access he'll need to think hard about how he'll get packages for apt/python/etc that he needs to do his projects, but I guess that's the friend's house part.

Make sure he keeps backups of his SD card image in case he trashes it, because again, with no internet you don't want to be left with no system image and no way to restore it.

Maybe give him a Bus Pirate too if he's into small electronics projects. Can be used for all kinds of small embedded tasks.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fishmech posted:

Well don't forget a raspberry pi already needs the power adapter, a suitable monitor/tv he can use, keyboard, mouse, a good SD card or two. That stuff adds up.

Your local goodwill or similar charity/thrift store should have cheap older laptops available for the $50-$200 range, and you might just ask around people you know to see if any of them have an old machine they aren't using anymore. Similarly, old desktops and matching monitors will be similarly cheap from those sorts of places, and would look fine too.

Old thinkpad T/W series are perfect for this. A decent W510 is like $150 on eBay and you get a semi-decent screen (1440x900 is the most common, some are lovely 1366x768 or 1920x1080) USB 3.0, first-gen Core i7, removable ODD for second HDD (boot from a cheap 240GB SSD), ExpressCard (rarely useful but it's there), eSATA, and a semi OK discrete GPU that'll do a bit better than the iGPUs of that vintage. Plus the keyboard of course.

The T-series are the same - just no discrete GPU (helps battery life a bit) and in some smaller sizes.

Both series give you some options for expansion, and wear like the proverbial brick shithouse - magnesium chassis and all that. I've literally stepped on mine once. However, battery life is obviously not as good as a modern LV/ULV processor.

But yeah, with either a RPi or a desktop he'll need a monitor and all that crap. The two options worth considering here are surfing AcerRecertified for a cheapo $40 20-in, or getting a Korean 27" 1440p panel for like $200 like a QNIX QX2710 Multi.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fishmech posted:

The problem with Android on any Raspberry Pi is that the GPUs are way too old and slow for current versions of Android to be happy with, and when you force it to work anyway you get a pretty choppy experience.

This got me wondering, and yes, at least one person has gotten Android running on the Jetson TK1

y'know, just in case anyone wanted to pay $200 for an Android SBC. I bet that might actually perform OK though. If not, well, the Jetson TX2 is only $540! 256 cores of Pascal goodness...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mod sassinator posted:

Those card edge connectors are kinda rare and expensive now so it would probably cost more. You have more flexibility by soldering in your own headers too, like you can pick a right angle header, straight through header, female header, etc.

For home projects, header pins are definitely the way to go. Similarly, if you are engineering a massive product run then you can just design the SOC right onto the board in the first place, no need for a daughterboard.

There is a middle-ground of short-run/bespoke products for the industrial/commercial markets, and advanced hobby projects, but it is definitely small. Again, you will either need to do SMT or have a breakout board (eg for prototyping) but the actual SODIMM socket is not expensive. Here's DigiKey's selection of 200-pin SODIMM sockets, which fit the RPi compute module.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Thermopyle posted:

Though, I did just realize you can get a hammer header that you literally hit(!) into the holes on the zero...

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/gpio-hammer-header

So basically headers that mount by rivet-formed heads? Assuming it works reliably that's a super loving cool idea.

But, it's not like it's that much of a pain to just solder a quick row of through-hole headers. I am guessing those rivet headers are not really the best for mechanical reliability particularly under any sort of demanding physical condition (vibration, etc).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xtal posted:

Debian/Ubuntu repositories aren't tied to a specific architecture​, they can have x86 and ARM and MIPS etc

I would imagine that nginx is probably in the Raspbian repos but I doubt nginx themselves maintain an armhf build (looking through their deb repository it appears they do not).

Porting to different architectures is a pain in general, and ARM can be a real rabbithole because there's a huge variety of instruction sets (v6, v7a, etc) and many of the chips have their own special-snowflake characteristics like hardfloat.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 27, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
USB is intended as a peripheral bus, not as a system bus. This is something really deceptive about RPi performance, because it'll do great decent in CPU-only workloads that don't involve hitting disk, or even decent at reading one thing from disk, but literally everything on the RPi - SD card, USB drives, and network - all hang off one USB 2.0 controller and it's just not fast enough for fileservers or torrents or any of the other tasks people try to use them for. An actual PC, even something terrible like a Core2Duo from your local university surplus store, will thrash a RPi in many real-world server tasks because it's got a southbridge to offload a huge amount of the load. On the first-gen Pis just doing a device-to-device copy consumed a fairly good chunk of the CPU because of the kernel time (I want to say 33-50% load).

I feel for the Pi Foundation and their compatibility issues but the Broadcom SOC sucked even 5 years ago when they did the first-gen, and it's locked them into some terrible architectural decisions and a terrible GPU (cue fishmech's rant, I don't remember the details but it's pretty horrific even compared to the SOCs on cheapo modern phones). It made the early days years of support horrible because nobody except RPi Foundation could see docs or source for blobs, which led to some longstanding crippling bugs as well. And now it's basically legacy silicon, I don't really think there's much of an upgrade path for them to modern commodity SOCs without redoing a big chunk of their distro's kernel.

Look for a little mini-PC using a low-power (5-15W) Intel mobile processor, there are more options than just a NUC out there. Zotac has the ZBox line (cheap), ECS used to have the Liva series (cheap), etc. I'd prefer these to the Orange Pi or other Pi clone boards for stability/software compatibility/expandability/etc, but if that's your pricerange then the clone boards do thrash the Pi in terms of features and total system performance. Some of them have SATA, gigabit, USB 3.0, etc.

Shame the Athlon 5350 series is discontinued, you used to be able to walk out of Microcenter with a mobo and a CPU for $40 and put the whole thing together for $150 if you went for max cheap and $200 if you did it more decently.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 4, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ante posted:

This is sounding more and more like you should just buy your daughter a used netbook

I get that it doesn't have the "cool" factor (in your mind), but you have a real chance of frustrating her interest away entirely

A used Thinkpad T410 in running condition is literally <$100 on eBay. Figure on a new keyboard ($20) and maybe adding a SSD.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fixit posted:

If she starts to get bored or frustrated we can move on to something else. The last thing I want to do is discourage her from using/learning/understanding computers and electronics.

Please be wary of this. Linux-as-a-first-OS has a steep enough learning curve as it is, but the Pi really does throw a whole bunch of additional reliability/compatibility wrenches into the whole works. The first time she wants to play with an emulator and the x86 binaries don't run, you're going to run into "why does this suck".

She can absolutely still have "her own" x86 system running all the same software and stuff. Pulling and reflashing an SD card is no different from pulling and reflashing an SSD on a USB 3.0 dock, or whatever other stuff you can do with a Pi.

Embedded stuff is definitely something the Pi does better but a basic PC is cheap enough that it doesn't really have to be either/or. An HDMI switch is only like $10 or something on Amazon ;)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

On the other hand the SparcSTATION 20 probably had a system bus that ran at a faster speed than 1.1 mbit/s.