Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

You should absolutely just use nextdns. I touch computers for work, at home I just want poo poo to work. Pi hole is only cheaper if you don't value your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I am currently trying to psyche myself up for setting up network boot for some pi 3b+s.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I have a project that depends on pi 3b+'s, so I hope they make more. I'll probably end up buying something like 20 of them if they ever come down to regular prices.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

hark posted:

I realized after reading this thread that I also have collected like 5 or 6 3b+ pi units over time. what kind of cluster stuff are y'all doing with yours? anything particularly neat? or just niche things? both?!?!?

Been too busy to work on it but I'm making an in-home "cable company" with some equipment decommissioned from a motel. Each pi is a channel which plays videos & commercials based on the central scheduling program (which also provides the guide channel). Pi 3b+ is the ideal model for this, as it has PoE support and good composite out. (I think the 4 has an issue with composite out?). I need like 6-8 more 3b+ pis.

Current blocker: getting network boot working. I think it'll get easier if I buy a router that supports more advanced network boot features (google wifi don't support poo poo)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

xzzy posted:

pxeboot wayyyy easier on the 4 because you can tell it to pxeboot in the eeprom and it Just Works. 3's and earlier need a lot more hacking.

But regardless you'll still want a home server running dhcpd,tftpd and an nfs server to be able to do it.

Yeah, gonna run all that on my synology, just need a router that supports dnsmasq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yes, I’ve been working on something extremely similar off and on. I got real far, then got busy with work, then had a kid. I need to just post my source in case others want to contribute.

I’ve got a scheduling server that also provides a program guide channel, and a script runs on each raspberry pi that basically says “what should I be showing right now?” To the scheduling server and keeps the “hopper” of videos full. It calculates the time difference between the time slot and the main video, then inserts commercials adding up to that difference and splits them among the chapter stops. (DVDs are my main source for this reason)

I’ve been stalled for a while because I’m trying to set up network boot and I just don’t have time for it.