Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They look pretty similar in layout to the Pi, do they work with Pi enclosures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does it have to use its own proprietary software or is it just linux and you can also install other things as well?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Every time I try to use it, something has changed. I think pip3 is old or something and you're supposed to use python3 -m pip now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I use mine as a DLNA server and it works great for that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

there's a guy in yospos who can write C++ without any web documentation or reference materials because he works for some high-security defense contractor (or something) where no internet connections are allowed

poo poo blows my mind

Are they too lazy to set it up or something? I used to work at the NSA and I had a KVM to switch between TS and unclassified.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It has nothing to do with that. It's just luck. If the file system was being written to, it could get corrupted. If it was just idle, it could be fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I bought the official screen and a plastic stand that holds it for my 3B+ or whatever it is. I bought it to eventually replace my 2B setup but never got around to finishing up its set up. I guess I'll have to do that soon because my 2B setup keeps goofing up. minidlna keeps dying, deluge keeps failing and giving me python errors, vim just says "segmentation fault" when I try to open it and webmin died a while ago. I took the SD card out and ran a disk check on my computer and it found and fixed some things but things are still freaking out. I guess my SD card is dying. Is there some kind of program that can show the health of an SD card?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I ordered a new SD card and I guess I'll work on setting up my 3B this weekend.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there a way to do that beyond having a data cable attached to a UPS? I have the apc daemon installed and that shuts down my rpi if power gets too low.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you want to run a relay, just put a transistor to stop the current that runs the relay and activate the transistor with the GPIO pin. Seems kind of redundant though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

revmoo posted:

You got a reason why or are you just being argumentative?

Look at the thread title for one thing. A raspberry pi is a fun toy to do a little project with or something that isn't important.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Should I not be running my centrifuge on a RPi?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just spend the two dollars on heatsinks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would suggest downloading something like MobaXTerm (on windows) which will let you ssh into your pi from a desktop or a laptop and you can do Linux things from there without having to switch to the Pi whenever you want to use it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Do any websites stop working because they throw a tantrum because the ads are blocked or does that problem not exist like in Chrome ad blockers?

It seems like all the George Takei related websites bitch about ad blockers. Most let me click a link to close the pop up, but one doesn't have that link and there's no way to close it. I tried blocking that element with ublock but there's still something that prevents the page from scrolling until that thing closes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why not just get an HDMI splitter?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sometimes the correct answer is spend money on the actual solution, and not "hack something together that will break later and no one knows how to fix it."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My pi loves to randomly decide it can't go on the internet anymore so I have to reboot it. One of the things I hate about linux is that I don't know enough about it to really troubleshoot when I'm doing something according to a guide but it just doesn't work. Like I'm having an issue with my media server saying it can't access my media drive even though the user is in the group that has read access to the drive. I try to do things the right way, but some archaic thing that made sense to some guy in 1976 prevents it from happening and I just end up having things run as root because at least it works.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You'll probably get the most help out of googling "ubuntu *whatever your problem is*"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The answer to every "should I do this with my pi" is always "probably not" followed by "if figuring out how to do that is interesting to you, go ahead, but you'll be better served by a device created to do that."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It says it needs 5V TTL to turn on the relay, which means the current coming out of your GPIO doesn't matter, it just needs to read 5 volts. And the relay they use says it only needs around 80 mA for 5V. Is there a way you can create 5V another way to test the relay? Or a meter to read the voltage coming out of the GPIO or whatever you're using to power the relay board?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It sounds like the relay did do something when the GPIO went high. If the relay attempts to do something, that means the circuit got a logic 1 and attempted to switch it. If that is just a transistor, it gets a logic 1, which enables the transistor, which sends the VCC to the relay, which switches the relay. It could be that the VCC isn't high enough to switch the relay. The recommended current for the RPi is 2A, so I don't think it's your power supply unless it's not really putting out 2 amps. Could you try another power source for the VCC? Maybe try a few AA batteries. You can get 4.5 volts out of 3 of them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

taqueso posted:

A relay isn't using TTL signalling, you are actually powering a electromagnet coil that pulls the switch to the other position.

If you look at the page for the board, it looks like it uses a transistor to send VCC to the relay. So the transistors are using the voltage from the GPIO to switch and then send the 5V to the relay.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MrPablo posted:

Another option is to put your Pi on a battery pack.

Just get an actual UPS. You can install monitoring software that will gracefully turn off the pi when you lose power.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It depends on what color they are. Different color LEDs need different resistors.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Guillermus posted:

This performance jump should be decent enough for N64 (and most PS1 games) emulation. Wondering if Nintendo had a N64 mini on the works and were waiting on something like this.

Even if so, it's probably too late. They already abandoned the NES and SNES mini, and it's unlikely they will ever release an N64 mini.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My Raspberry Pi is dummy thicc and the clap of my HDMI ports keeps shorting the reset jumper.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm not really even sure why you would want to have two monitors with a Pi.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was looking into USB Boot and the guide says that the procedure to set it up is permanent. Does that mean that it permanently can only boot from USB or that the Pi permanently has the ability to do so? if the latter, why does that matter?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

Specifically:

quote:

To enable the USB boot bit, the Raspberry Pi 3 needs to be booted from an SD card with a config option to enable USB boot mode.

Once this bit has been set, the SD card is no longer required. Note that any change you make to the OTP is permanent and cannot be undone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess maybe if you have a pi set up in a way meant to be secure, enabling usb boot would allow someone to attach a usb drive, reboot to it and then access... Something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We are proud to announce the ATX form factor Raspberry Pi.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

wolrah posted:

That's just for the Pi 3 and later Pi 2 models that use the updated SoC. They have USB/network boot support in beta in their boot code but it's not enabled by default, so you have to set a one-time programmable bit (basically an e-fuse) to enable it. Once enabled it can not be disabled, but the device will still boot from SD. It'll just take a little bit longer as it checks for a USB device.

On the Pi 3B+ and 3A+ USB and network booting are enabled by default.

Atomic Pi seems to be pretty solid bang for the buck as far as emulators go, being x86 it benefits from the low-level work done to optimize a lot of emulators on PCs. It's a bit of a pain to work with because just hooking up power requires a breakout board or soldering.

Ah, cool. I'm using a 3B+ so I guess I'll look into finding an enclosure for my various old hard drives to run the pi off that instead of the SD card.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why even bother trying to scalp it? I doubt any one has an urgent need for one considering we just found out about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You just need to tap into that sensor and find a way to connect it to a GPIO pin and then have a python program or whatever running that looks for something happening on that pin and then find some sort of SMS sending API to notify you. Though there are a bunch of intermediary steps like finding out what exactly the sensor does. Is it just some sort of water sensor that sends a voltage, if so, what voltage. Does it have a float that is connected to a potentiometer and sends a resistance value, if so, what value indicates that it is full. I think GPIO expects 3.3 volts, so who knows if you can just directly tap into the sensor. You might have to disconnect it from the dehumidifier and connect it just to the Pi, because it could cause a weird ground fault otherwise. You might have to build a whole new circuit that detects the sensor hitting the right value and then that sends its own 3.3V signal to the GPIO pin. In any case, good luck and have fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If Grump's dehumidifier is anything like mine, I suspect it has some sort of LED that either blinks or just turns on to indicate the tank is full. Would it be easier to stick a photo sensor over the LED to somehow pull a signal from that? I imagine isolating from stray light might be an issue since they're not exactly bright LEDs.

This might be the easiest thing. Jam it on there with some sticky tack or whatever it's called now to seal out any other light source.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Grump posted:

ok it sounds like this project is not what I'm looking for then in terms of learning to program for the Pi.

Don't give up that easily. Someone else suggested just using a light sensor if your dehumidifier has a "tank full" light. Here is a tutorial that goes over using a photodiode with a RPi. If you're a software developer, than that will be the easy part. If you don't know python, it is super easy to learn. You might not even need to learn all that much as that tutorial has the code you'll need to set up the GPIO pins so you can get information from the light sensor. Then you just need to learn how to how to use an SMS API, and I'm sure there is a tutorial on how to set that up as well. That tutorial probably consists of just interacting with an SMS service and sending a basic message, which is all you need. You just copy and paste the tutorials into the same file, change some things around and you're done.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Hadlock posted:

There's an Arduino thread independent of the electronics thread but most everyone cross posts and its all the same 45 goons or so

Do you have a link to these?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah I have my chromebook's charger plugged in next to my bed and it charges my chromebook, my phone, and my switch. It is currently charging one of my index controllers. USB C is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I thought it was the coolest poo poo when I saw that video of someone dunking their computer in mineral oil.