Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I'd say the absolute minimum would be $25/hr. Anything below that and you're pricing yourself alongside high school students and dabblers, and the clients that insist on working with someone cheaper will probably be bad clients. If you're a beginner and have absolutely no clue what you're worth, I'd say throw out $30 or $35 an hour and see what happens. There's a good chance they'll just say OK. If they balk, say you understand, and can do an introductory rate on this first project of $25/hr. If you do a great job any further work will be at your usual rate of $30 or $35.

This is from experience as a math tutor, but I'd stand by those numbers as a baseline for almost anything creative too. Of course you can go much higher after just a little experience and narrowing down your niche.
This is also good advice. Quote them higher than what you'd take and hey, they might bite! If not you have room to negotiate down (and it is MUCH harder to negotiate up for future projects)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Calico Heart posted:

an Attorney who has also written before in the past.
This client is going to be a demanding jerk fyi

Definitely build revisions into your contract, and say that if it goes over then he owes you more.

If they're an attorney the good news is they'll understand your desire for a contract.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Ben Smash posted:

I may be entering into a contract to help write copy and editorials for a start up product subscription service (think BirchBox). I've only ever written editorial or creative works for free and am unsure on how to negotiate compensation for a website. My work would be clickbait lists, sales copy for the website, sales assets for salespeople and possibly even video scripts. This seems to be unlike getting a story or article published as my work will be critical to the success of the product and will appear for quite some time. Do I ask for a percentage of sales? Ongoing pay?

never, ever get a percentage of sales. do an hourly rate or an inflated per word rate that reflects how much time you'll spend writing.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Arthil posted:

So I've asked around a few places but I figure it's always good to get information from multiple sources.

This year I've been having a lot of success with my design work, it's not the most glamorous thing ever. Mainly working with existing assets or creating simple new ones for advertisements through an agency that hires out contractors. I've looked up the general taxes I need to be aware of working independently like this, and have been putting aside 25% of everything I make weekly from the agency. I also put aside 25% from any side work, such as jobs from UpWork or other websites.

I'm hoping to pay quarterly so that I'll receive a tax return next year. The agency will send me a 1099, however I wouldn't receive one elsewhere except if I might do other contracted work from a company. I understand that the 'quarters' for paying taxes aren't exact, from Jan-April being the first and May-June being the second. However I'm just wondering what might be the best way to go about sending the set aside money to the government. I know... most of what I need to for the Federal Taxes I think, though State Taxes are another story entirely.

Josh Frulingher (The Comics Curmudgeon) has an article about this https://thebillfold.com/here-s-a-surefire-tax-estimating-process-for-freelancers-rebooted-and-updated-ab8d1df6836#.9hz08fpty

I have never lived on freelance so I can't vouch for the effectiveness

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Erostratus posted:

My grandmother is a very prolific, talented artist and has been painting since she was a child.
I cannot help with the rep stuff but please make sure she has a will

Neil Gaiman says so:
http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2006/10/important-and-pass-it-on.html

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

dog nougat posted:

Got approached last night by a guy who's interested in having me illustrate a hipstery, touristy map of local New Orleans spots. Not sure on much of the details yet, but assuming he actually gets back in contact with me this could be a really good opportunity. Seems like he works for some sorta design firm here, he showed me a picture of the previous map they'd commissioned so it doesn't seem like he's just blowing smoke up my rear end.

This would potentially be my first professionally commissioned work. A lot of the details are yet to be ironed out like total size, colors, amount of writing, fonts, etc. What are some things I should be aware of going forward? Obviously I won't do any work without a contract, but I really have no idea how much to charge, or really anything else since this is potentially my first gig like this.
meet with him to get more details about the scope of the project. Estimate how many hours it will take you. Decide what your hourly rate would be to be comfortable working at it. Pad that up at least 20% (start high and maybe they'll negotiate down but you'll never get more than what you ask for initially. and maybe they'll just accept it because they have the money to pay you, score!). If they want a flat fee multiply the rate by the hours. limit the number of revisions covered under the flat fee. charge for anything extra beyond the scope of the contract.

make sure your contract has at least some money up front and a bail out clause where you get paid for your work to date if things go south.

go to Clients From Hell for more freelancing resources and advice

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

I was recently contacted by a book publisher who wants to use a piece of my artwork (already completed) as part of a book cover. They sent me a proposed layout and it's sort of a collage, with my piece taking up the entire rear cover of the jacket aside from the blurbs. The publisher is one of the Big Five and the author of the book has published multiple NYT bestsellers.

I have no idea how much to ask for in this case. I asked for them to send me the proposed terms/rights and their idea of an appropriate fee. What ballpark should I be looking at?
Absolute minimum $500 but you could get way more. PM me

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
I don't have one in hand but what you're looking for is to sell "first serial" rights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Tubgoat posted:

Hey thread! How do I sell paintings? They're not mine, I'm looking to sell them on behalf of the artist. He's a famous-ish artist, several of whose paintings hang in the Vatican, many more in the hands of private collectors such as the wife of Jeb! Bush. I don't have any connections in the art dealing world.
The artist is old, lives out in the sticks, is not mobile and doesn't speak English, else there's a reasonably good chance he'd do it himself. Most of my communication with him happens through his son (I'm working on learning Spanish). I live a state over near a larger population centre.
I have eight of his paintings in my possession and have compiled a small portfolio of those paintings and some pics of correspondence with interchangeable bigwigs (at-the-time French ambassador, head of some church in former Yugoslavia, photograph of him with Desmond Tutu, etc).
There are a few art galleries near me but I don't wanna go in and be like "Hi! I'm a gullible rube who just happens to hold several excellent paintings! Give me a lot of money for them!" and accept a pittance.
What do? I want to sell them for the ridiculous amounts fine paintings sell for so that I can help the artist support his family and also afford nice things like food and shelter and a partner and also not have to work an infintely more soul-crushing job.
Thanks y'all!

Also advice on how to income taxes regarding this business would be swell too. I live in the US and don't plan on escaping ever, though I certainly wouldn't turn down an opportunity to do so.
If he's that big a name artist then you could pay to get them appraised and then sell them to a gallery or auction them (do not get them appraised by the same people you sell them to). I have no idea what to do about the taxes situation.