Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
I'm making a small personal drawing for a guy as a gift for his wife. I talked with him in person once about the project and I was wondering if I should even bother with making a contract for such a small job? I don't know him that well, but he seems very straight forward and honest so I'm not really worried about getting ripped off. I'm getting half of the payment to start and half upon completion and feel like that's safe enough. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

kedo posted:

Famous last words!

If it's not a huge amount you're probably fine, just make sure you have cash in hand before you turn over the drawing. If he gives you a check it might bounce or he could cancel it. As long as you've got your money the contract doesn't matter quite as much for super small projects.

But you're still putting yourself in a bit of a vulnerable position.

Yeah i'll definitely get cash first before handing over the piece and definitely not taking a check. Thanks

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

I have the right to use it, right? I wasn't under an NDA and there was no contract specifying I couldn't use anything in my portfolio.

Just a heads up, i have a rough understanding of these things based on what I've read online and friends showing client work.

If you're not under NDA and there's nothing in the contract saying you can't use the work for portfolio purposes, you should be fine.

I'd say that typically this is covered in a contract. There's usually a section covering rights of use.

Have you tried talking through this with them? I don't know the entire situation, but i would call them up or meet with them in person and tell them that they're gutting your portfolio. If they're still being dicks about it though after trying to play nice I'd mention the lack of NDA and contract.

Contracts are there to protect both parties. If this was covered in the contract you'd both know where this stands; if you couldn't use it you would've gotten paid more as well to compensate for the loss of promotional work for yourself and getting future work.