Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Questions about copyediting, and working for family:

My sister's been in her industry for a few years (quit her job a year or so ago to look for something better/try freelancing, recently got another job in her field that she likes at a large company). During her freelancing time, she started a blog about what she does, and has written a ~50 page e-book aimed at other pros (mostly beginners) in her industry. She isn't an awful writer, but definitely "average" at best, whereas writing is always something I've done well and really enjoy. She hired an editor to go over it, I'm not sure if the draft I got is pre- or post editor (for example, on the first page "Forward" in big letters at the top, rather than "Foreword"), but it definitely needs a good bit of cleaning up to have the readability match the content and formatting (which are great). I decided to do this one for free (mostly because I'm currently unemployed and have little else to do, also family), but she's said she wants to hire me to edit in the future. What's a good family rate for someone who is just starting out? I'm hoping it might later lead to some other paid gigs through her friends, colleagues, etc. Non-fiction/copywriting/copyediting is something I've wanted to break into for a long time as a side gig, but never really had any opportunities come up, or known where to look.

She's also recently gotten my father to start a blog about sailing, something that he's really passionate and knowledgeable about. He's had articles published in sailing magazines before, and now that he's retired from his day job, he delivers the odd yacht or charges $300/day to teach rich people how to use the fancy sailboats they just bought. (Basically, he really knows his poo poo.) He's not a great writer though. As a part of the site, he's going to be recommending a lot of gadgets and stuff through Amazon Affiliates (he already gets asked to do seminars about stuff to buy for your boat, figures he might as well start making a commission :v:), so if it takes off, he would be making some money from the site. It's pretty much beer money as far as he's concerned, and charging him per word/post at this early stage wouldn't make sense (aside from the domain and paid Wordpress hosting he doesn't care to invest any more money in it), so I was thinking of asking for a percentage of the net affiliate sales, after his hosting expenses. Not expecting to make anything more than (a percentage of) beer money myself, it's more a labor of love and hopefully a nice portfolio piece, which might lead to some other paid work through him, people he knows, etc. Does this sound OK? I'm going to edit a few posts for him and let him decide how much (if anything) it's worth to him based on how he likes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU