Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I was dumb and did freelance design work for a company for years with no contract. I know now with hindsight it was stupid, but at the time I was young and just thrilled to be getting money on the side.

Anyway, they eventually stopped using me and started using another designer (without telling me haha)

Now they want me to send them native files of work I've done for them in the past.

We never worked out who owned what, and I don't want to just hand over all the work I've done for them to reprint and make money off of. Am I in the right to basically say "gently caress you pay me" (in nicer terms, of course)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

readingatwork posted:

My personal approach would be:

"I'm sorry! It looks like I deleted those files at some point. Give me a couple of days to dig around and I'll see if I backed them up somewhere.

On a completely unrelated note, how much am I going to be getting for the use of my work?"

Haha I thought about it! I talked with the client last night, it was a pretty funny exchange.

• It started off with them basically saying "we paid you X for your work and also gave you comp tickets to some events. We've been in the print business for years and it's a normal thing for a designer to give up his working files"
• When I sent them a bunch of links explaining that no, the client does not own the files they responded with "well we won't use you for any future work!!" (They already have been using a new designer and haven't contacted me once since August)

Anyway I told them if they wanted to use me for future work that's great, but I'm raising my rates.

They haven't sent me any messages since, so I am assuming their next step will be sending me some scary message from their legal team.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

kedo posted:

Also as a side note: just give up the source files. I always, always give away source files and it has never once bitten me. If someone no longer wishes to do business with you, refusing to give them source files is thumbing your nose at them and burning bridges. You will never get money for them, you're only going to piss someone off who will now be speaking badly about you. Trust me, this fight is never worth it. I watched my previous employer fail to achieve anything arguing with clients about poo poo like this, and now he has the reputation of being difficult to deal with and loses projects because of it.

I get what you're saying. If they weren't causing such a fuss about giving me ANY compensation I wouldn't be fighting them on it really... it's not like I hold these source files near and dear to my heart, I just want to be paid for the time it will take me to gather up & transfer 5 years of files. But they won't budge.

Anyway things have gone quiet so they've either given up or they are preparing to send me some kind of scary legal message.