Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I'm in a bit of an ethical conundrum, and I'm hoping those of you who are professionals can give me some guidance on to what the appropriate response would be in this situation.

I do illustrations and comics purely as a hobby, but I've gotten enough interest (and requests for a website) that I finally bought a domain name and hosting this year. I'm pretty excited about having an "official" online presence for the first time. One of my friends is going into design and website building as a career, and he's been giving me some advice on how to present a digital portfolio; however, I know nothing about coding, and eventually he suggested that he might build it for me as a gift. His rationale is that it will be good to have a live website in his own portfolio, so it benefits us both. He's hard up for work right now, but even if that weren't the case I feel conflicted about having him put in so much time for free. Unfortunately I can't afford to pay him what a custom site is truly worth, and I was also hoping to teach myself about web design in the process of putting this up, though I suppose it's unrealistic to expect to go from complete ignorance to a really professional product.

Am I overreacting? Is there some way we can both get what we want without me taking advantage of his friendship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU