Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
I made an art that someone liked, and now they want to use the art on a set of cards they're creating and feature it in a Youtube video. They claim they are only going to share the video with friends and "the community who also play the game" (Magic the Gathering). They claim they do not plan to make money off of it, and it's just a hobby. They also claim that they will credit me.

This was just a piece I made last year that they happened to like, and I wasn't planning on making money off of it anyway. I'm thinking as long as they're not making a profit from it, and they fully credit me, it's fine. It isn't a project that they asked me to work on for free, so it costs me nothing, and to me it's not any worse than re-posting my artwork on another site and crediting me. But does anyone see an issue with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Thanks everyone! I got it in writing that they would not profit from it. They're also willing to send me the video once it's done, so I can make sure I got credit.

gmc9987 posted:

They basically told you, "I only intend to share it with [group of people so vaguely defined as to be useless in guessing how many people it is]."

I would say don't let this person post it online unless it's an image that you're willing to have publicly online, forever. If you're OK with that (and you can be, if you want) then go for it. But MtG isn't exactly an unknown game with a small community, and anyone who sees the image online could potentially save the image and share it further. Or crop your credit off of it. Or upload it to one of a million print-on-demand sites that don't bother checking for copyright when letting people sell prints on them. So there's nothing inherently wrong with having your artwork posted online, just be aware that there's potential for it to spread beyond the intended audience or usage, and if that's potentially a problem then you're better off not giving this person access to your art.

Also, what does this:

mean? This person's hobby is to post other peoples artwork online? Or they play the game as a hobby?

I should have clarified. They saw the artwork on my social media, so it's already online. That's the main reason why I didn't think it was a big deal, since I knew that type of stuff was bound to happen. I'm just glad someone asked permission.

They meant they do not make cards as a profession. Creating custom cards is their hobby.

Doctor Zero posted:

Do you have any idea how many people still play MTG?

That part was very vague. I had no idea if they meant the entire MTG community or the community where they play. I don't think it matters though, since, as I wrote above, I already have the image online. As long as they credit me, I'm cool with more people seeing it.