Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Back when I first did my taxes, I printed off all the email invoices I sent for comic flatting work, but the tax guy said it wasn't necessary. I was making less than $10,00/per year which made me technically unemployed and none of my invoices counted. I was told that minor freelancing work like that didn't count.

I regret not trying to write off the computer I bought that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I'm disappointed. I thought I had an alright colouring job lined up, but they said they don't really "do" contracts.

Edit: I sent an email last night stating the reasons why a contract is good for both parties and that it's very important for a long term project, so that both parties have proper expectations about the arrangement. I just asked if he could write out a set of terms about when I will get paid and how many pages they need in a given time frame, so I'm able to schedule my time effectively. I also wanted to know about their printing process and how the files needed to be prepared.

I just got a pop-up saying that all the files have been removed from my Dropbox.

They claimed that I could send low-res jpegs until I got paid, but I now have the sneaking suspicion that they would have just tried to print the jpegs to get out of paying me.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 4, 2012

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Echoing this. Though if you are still going to go foreword at least make your terms clear in an e-mail (make sure you keep all the rights you don't absolutely have to give away :devil:) and get them to send you a reply confirming that they agree to them.

Also watermark the poo poo out of those jpegs and send them in at almost their lowest quality. Don't send them the good stuff until their check clears. Be sure to write up their freakout here after the fact. :allears:

I didn't even get a response from them! I just got a notice saying that all the files were taken out of the dropbox they set up for me. It was only 2 pages in there, but a whole bunch more in references, the script and so on.

I had asked the guy if he wanted me to do up the first couple pages as a test run before he wrote up a contract, and got the "we don't really do contracts" response.

Well, at least it wasn't even for a job I applied for. I had a few pages up on ComicArtCommissions.com and sometimes get email responses through there (usually from people who can't read that I'm a colourist). I was just asked my rate and turnaround time, so I thought it was legit at first.

Edit: Hahaha, I finally got an email response back saying that they have "neither the time nor the resources to contact a lawyer to draw up a contract for a 12 page job" (I wasn't even told that it was a 12 page job, I was under the impression that it was a long term, multi-issue gig) and that they "don't want to play this game", so they will be assigning the work to someone else. And then they namedropped all the big artists they've had work for them without a contract.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 5, 2012

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

pipes! posted:

I think any feelings you're having right now about the lost business are a drop in the bucket compared to any issues that would have arisen from working without a contract. Your stuff getting yanked from the Dropbox folder is also incredibly sketchy. Be sure to be on the lookout for it and Tineye/Google Image Search every three or so months to make sure it's not being used without your permission.

In short:

It was all their files in the Dropbox. I hadn't coloured a thing yet.

I sent a response back saying that a lawyer isn't necessary for a contract and that one could be drafted up as a template in about half an hour. Some of the contracts I've signed have just been typed on a single piece of paper. I mean, so long as the terms and conditions are clear, I don't really care.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 5, 2012

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So I'm colouring an independent comic book and the writer hasn't responded to my email from a few days ago. Usually, he's been pretty prompt to respond, so I'm getting concerned. I was asking about the status of the last page of issue 2. Pg 21 has been up for a few weeks now, but no sign of pg 22, and I have to wait for page 22 to get paid for the issue. I'm hoping that nothing has happened to the artist. He's a bit slow, but not 3 weeks slow.

It's possible that my writer is just on vacation or something, but I'm wondering how long I should wait before emailing him again.

Also, I'm in the process of putting together a resume and cover letters to send out to a handful of comic companies. The cover letters are difficult for me, because I'm not terribly familiar with the properties of these companies besides Dark Horse.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So I just got an invite to LocalSolo, a site that connects freelancers to local employers. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So I applied for a web developer job yesterday and got a rejection email today, but the company was interested in seeing my graphic design samples as it was on my resume and the company is really new, so they still need a logo and stuff.

The guy emailing me seemed to like my work, so now I'm expecting a phone call tomorrow to discuss things further.

I have been told before to raise my rates and I honestly don't know how much I should charge if I end up doing their branding. The freelance work I've done lately has all been for friends and family and not as big an undertaking as this. I'd probably prefer to charge for the project than an hourly rate. I want to be able to give them a number that's reasonable for someone without a lot of experience, but also not insultingly low for this kind of work.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If you haven't done exactly this kind of project before, you really should charge hourly. You can provide an estimate based on the scope of the project, but you really don't want to be holding the bag when someone starts waffling on contract terms. Be incredibly specific about how many revisions and change orders are included, what assets you need from the client and at what milestones. Read the thread and make a contract.

As far as your hourly rate goes, you probably need to double it. Whatever it is right now, if people are telling you it's too low, it's too low. Your freelance rate includes 1. All the talent and experience you've built up to this point, 2. Not only your pay for the work itself, but also for the preproduction, emailing and negotiation to get the job in the first place, 3. Everything that would normally be covered by an employer, i.e. taxes, healthcare, legal, accounting, equipment and office space, and 4. What the market will bear.

If 1 through 3 don't add up to 4, you're in the wrong market. You can do price research for comparable designers in your area by simply emailing them and asking for quotes. Some might find this suggestion a bit dickish since you don't actually have a job for them, but I'm not aware of a site like Glassdoor for freelancers.

If your client balks, you can negotiate, but do so first by limiting the scope of the project. Don't just cut your rate quickly / arbitrarily, your client will rightly wonder why you were asking so much to begin with. If the response is "well I could just hire my cousin or some jerk on craigslist for half as much" my usual response is "OK, best of luck with that." They were never your client to begin with.

Thanks!

After having a phone call with them, it seems like they are just looking for a logo and can't afford to get any branding done, but also need designs for presentations and stuff. I have done logos before, so that's not a problem.

I emailed them some questions about the specifics of the project, like how many concepts they'd like to see and the specifications of the other design work so that I could draw up a contract. I was thinking of estimating how much time that would take and setting that as a price, but with the exception that anything outside of the specified scope (more revisions, etc..) would then be charged at an hourly rate.

During the phone call I had with them, they didn't even want to know how much it would cost, just a breakdown of "how I work", so I kinda walked them through the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

Am working on a video game project that is all programmer art (i.e. cylinders and cubes everywhere) and is about 80% feature complete, programming-wise. It recently got its first Patreon supporter and every month I get a few people here and there asking to help with the project, art-wise. I tell them that I'll keep them in mind but I'm a broke loser irl so the real reason is that I couldn't afford to pay 3D artists anything close to a market rate anyway. I already know that the whole royalty/revenue sharing thing is a joke in both the art and programming communities, so I know not to even consider it as an option to begin with.

I figure that the best thing I could do is just find a way to scrap some money between the couch cushions to hire a 3D artist as some kind of tutor or consultant to help point me in the right direction and guide me toward being able to do all of the work I need on my own, but I feel really bad because I know that if I had the money to afford the artist's help then the project could at least have a releasable tech demo that I can parade around within a few months to gauge community response and then try to raise further Patreon funding with which to pay for better artists than my dumbass.

I'm posting this here on the off-chance that there might be some third option that I haven't considered here and also to share my predicament with this awful™ community.

I wouldn't think Patreon would be a good platform for video game funding. It seems to be a better platform for videos, webcomics or other projects that come out on a regular basis. An individual who is producing creative content that others would like to support by throwing them a few bucks every month would benefit from Patreon.

A larger, single project with a multi-person team and a long production schedule, like a movie or a video game seems like it would benefit more from Kickstarter. With Kickstarter, you can actually raise the funds to properly hire those artists that you need and take that into account for your funding.

I was involved in a Kickstarter to get the first issue of a comic produced. (I was the colourist.) That issue got funded, but it still wasn't enough for the project to get picked up by a comic company. After that, the rest of the mini series was Kickstarted and got full funding. I ended up getting paid more for the rest of the book, as we had the funding for it. Now I have physical copies of the book that I can sell at conventions.

Have you thought about doing a Kickstarter? Talk to the artists who have expressed interest about how long such a project might take so you can properly research how much funding you will need. You might need a 3D modeller, a concept artist, a graphic designer/UI designer, maybe even someone to function as an art director. I don't know the scale of your project though, so maybe you can handle most of that yourself.

If you can scrape together enough for a small tech demo, that can be used as "proof of concept" to attract Kickstarter supporters.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 29, 2018