Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

GiveUpNed posted:

I've just been contacted for freelance work by an ad agency for both commercial and content work. They asked me what my rate is. Before now, I've only ever done journalism work. What should my rate for advertising be?

Qoute high, lower if they balk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Kingsbury2 posted:

The artist's best friend is not the pencil, it is the lawyer.

I'm in the market for a lawyer that understands web development & design contracts, but I'm not really sure where to start looking. Ideally I would like to find someone local (vancouver, CA) but is this even necessary? On that note do I even need a lawyer that explicitly understands web development contracts?

I just want someone I can approach when I write a new contract or am presented with one. I'm at the point now where the money is adding up and one screw up could cost me a lot of money.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

A few things stand out to me:

Cons:
  • Your portfolio doesn't scale well to mobile devices, look into a responsive theme. It's important that it be accessible for people viewing your site on a phone or tablet.
  • Your videos are displayed as one playlist, instead of individual clips. Maybe it's just me, but my first impression was that you only had one piece of work per section, possibly a bad thing.
  • Your sections are poorly defined and some videos are repeated. I personally think a tagging system which can be searched or sorted would work better, combined with one page of videos.
  • None of your work describes how you were involved, but this could be ignorance on my end. Maybe you don't need that.

Pros:
  • Nice clean design, doesn't distract me from your work.
  • Your resume looks nice, but someone in media production might think differently.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Chitin posted:

EDIT: OK, I spent a day reorganizing the whole thing, made it much easier to find videos related to specific genres or skills, and chose a responsive theme. The whole thing looks MUCH better now, and I feel more comfortable sharing it. Thanks for the great advice!

Much better!

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
You need to call a lawyer and have him write a mean letter or at least threaten to do so. Are attorney fees in your contract? They should be.

Also, can you prove that they have used your finished work without payment? That's a pretty big mistake on their end and could cost them more than $900, something you might want to mention if you have a good contract.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 25, 2013

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Honestly man, they cut ties with you the minute they stiffed you on the bill. Do you really want to work with people like that? Do they really want to work with you? They are hoping you don't pursue it due to:

A) Lack of a backbone
B) Distance
C) The relatively small amount they owe you

If the contract does not cover lawyer fees I would still recommend you speak with one anyway. Show him the contract and see what they say.

You really need to watch gently caress You, Pay Me.

Edit: Make your own contract, charge more if they want to use their own. Also, make sure their contract doesn't gently caress you.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
No heart wrenching letters dudes, bad form. Calling the saps isn't a bad idea.

Edit: I was in the doctors office so I wasn't as clear as I should have been. Don't appeal to their emotions, if you do, you've already lost. Since it has been several months I assume you already have, pending review with a lawyer, I don't think you're going to get paid.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 25, 2013

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I don't know how PayPal works in the EU but I assume punching in your credit card details takes about 3 minutes.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I guess it depends on how nice you are?

If the project launched on time and the client isn't upset / asking for a discount why bother? You already took a hit buying the flash drive and shipping it over night... why take another if you don't have to. If anything you showed the client how well you respond to an unfortunate situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
IF you do work for trade or free please bill them with your normal rate and apply w/e discounts you need to reach their desired price. It puts a dollar value on your time and helps avoid the "But you did it for free last time" conversation. It should be very clear that this is not a normal occurrence.

Your normal rate should be high. They should be very grateful you're doing this for free / cheap.