Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

It sounds like you dodged a bullet.

Echoing this. Though if you are still going to go foreword at least make your terms clear in an e-mail (make sure you keep all the rights you don't absolutely have to give away :devil:) and get them to send you a reply confirming that they agree to them.

Also watermark the poo poo out of those jpegs and send them in at almost their lowest quality. Don't send them the good stuff until their check clears. Be sure to write up their freakout here after the fact. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

triplexpac posted:

I was dumb and did freelance design work for a company for years with no contract. I know now with hindsight it was stupid, but at the time I was young and just thrilled to be getting money on the side.

Anyway, they eventually stopped using me and started using another designer (without telling me haha)

Now they want me to send them native files of work I've done for them in the past.

We never worked out who owned what, and I don't want to just hand over all the work I've done for them to reprint and make money off of. Am I in the right to basically say "gently caress you pay me" (in nicer terms, of course)?

My personal approach would be:

"I'm sorry! It looks like I deleted those files at some point. Give me a couple of days to dig around and I'll see if I backed them up somewhere.

On a completely unrelated note, how much am I going to be getting for the use of my work?"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Defenestration posted:

Congratulations!

Figure out how many hours you will be spending on this work, and multiply by what you think your hourly wage should be. Remember to get a contract!

What would people around here consider a reasonable hourly rate for freelance work? I realize that this will vary by demand and skill level but what's the general range for newish people who don't completely suck?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
It’s a bit early to panic. Did you try calling them and asking what’s up?