Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Arthil posted:

Oh I know. Honestly I'm surprised the hypocrisy didn't hit me sooner. Asks me whether this is my job or a hobby, asks me how many hours I could dedicate to the work. All for him to not offer any kind of real payment. I mean hell I'm an artist it isn't like I need much food anyway, cause I sit at the computer all day right?(So much sarcasm)

And here's the thing, the product is actually kind of neat in that tacky put-poo poo-on-your-car way and seems to be better quality than his competition. He's just delusional if he thinks he'll build an extensive selection of products by offering a buck a pop.

It's also taken him a hilarious amount of time to respond with his simple contract. I've got a feeling I won't hear back from him.

I guess the best way for me to gauge this whole situation is like this... Through a contest, which is also horrible spec work, I'm soon going to manage to make $200. The client turned out to be wonderful, and in the end this will be an opportunity to put something real in my portfolio. Of course the only issue with that is, 99designs recently changed their terms where they're essentially shackling you to use their platform with any clients you met through it for a year.

If I were you, I'd come up with some more concrete career goals (want to freelance full-time for a living? Find a job at a design firm? Stay where you are or move to a new city?), stop doing spec work and design contests cold turkey, and start building a portfolio essentially like a design student would. Spec work is draining and you're often stuck working with bottom of the barrel clients like Mr. Wiper Cling. This generally results in watered down work that isn't necessarily getting you to where you want to be. A mere shot at $200 every go around isn't ever going to make you a living.

Make up projects if you need to, and drill into them. Right now your portfolio is a handful of logos. Dig up some portfolio sites of designers you admire and thumb through their work. Rebrand a local pizza shop and slap your new logo on a pizza box and take photos. Mock up the interior, stick the logo on some t-shirts. Go all out. I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for in terms of design work or career, but I think you'll find this more fulfilling. By all means keep pursuing freelance work, but if you've got a day job or other means of supporting yourself, you can afford to be a lot more picky than spec work. I started out doing really similar stuff on SA-Mart, no less, so I understand it, but I think the risks far outweigh the benefits every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU