Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gonna crosspost this in the little questions thread, but I figured here would be a good spot to ask as well.

I'm commissioning my niece to convert an ink drawing I did to a vector file (is this the right term?) so I can have some shirts or stickers printed. I'm not going to sell the stuff, got no plans to license the design, profit from it in any way, or any of that. I just like the drawing and some other people do too, enough to want a sticker or shirt maybe. Anyhow, I'm sending her a scan of the drawing, and she says she should be able to do it in Illustrator pretty easily. She's a junior in an art program at a big university, very good at what she does, extremely hard working, all that. So I want to pay her the appropriate rate, but I'm not entirely sure she'll give me the fair market price since we're family.

So if some rando from the internet emailed you a drawing, said "convert to an image file that could be used with screen printing or vinyl stickers, go hog wild cleaning up whatever you think needs it," what would you charge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

lofi posted:

Depends how clean the initial scan is, and how detailed the pic is - the job could be anywhere from 'mash autoconvert' to 'trace everything by hand'

It's a fairly clean scan, but I'm assuming she'll be tracing everything by hand. It's a moderately detailed, but not especially complex line drawing. I don't call myself an artist, but I've put 3-4 hours into it, most of which was tracing new drafts from the first one.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Awesome, thank you. Between this thread and the question thread, yall have given me a good idea. I'll see what she gets back to me with and make sure she gets a little extra on top if what she quotes me seems too low.