Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
It's not just a problem for designers. Illustrators have the exact same problem, and that paired with people underpricing their art and the sheer amount of kids just tracing photos and selling the resulting images for cheap to people who can't tell that they're being ripped off causes all sorts of issues. How can I compete with someone who's selling their art for five bucks? I have to pay rent and eat, and it's getting increasingly harder to make money as an artist. Everyone expects me to do spec or charge as little as XxbunnychanxX or whatever on deviantart. It feels like a lost cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Beat. posted:

This, and all the other variants of it in this thread, boil down to one basic thing, which is that the business background of creative people is generally really lacking.

First of all, setting yourself up to compete with "XXBunnyChanXX" is a lost cause. If that's what you're trying to do, you're operating in the wrong market. If you're trying to make a living wage of the Something Awful for sale forums, you're in the wrong place. You are not only wasting your time complaining about it, it demonstrates that at a fundamental level you are on the wrong track.

[snip]
Well, I just got here about a year ago, but in Brazil where I'm from people are in fact hiring XxBunnyChanxX and they are also searching for artists on oDesk and paying 16 year olds to trace photos/other people's work and so on because it's cheaper or in some cases, even free. I had given up completely when I was there, as even the people I knew who were professionals and much more experienced/skilled than me were having problems finding work. Many had quit and started doing something else for a living, including a close friend of mine who had 20 years of experience as a professional illustrator.

I'm still working out the logistics of going to art school in the US (and by "logistics" I mean I need to grow a pair and just go get a loan), so I don't really know anyone here and haven't really tried to work as an artist yet. I was under the impression that things weren't that different here, but you are obviously more knowledgeable than me and I appreciate you clearing that up. Your post gives me hope that maybe I'll be able to do this after all, and I just might go ahead and get a loan so I can go to school and give myself the best possible chance.

e: just realized you're Beat. I PM'd you last year about art schools and whatnot, thanks again for all the info, it was really helpful. :)