Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I worked for a company for five years, and it was basically my first start into the web design field. I loved it and did a lot of nice work, but I got let go last year. I've been using work I did while at the company on my portfolio, not including any links to the actual website. Recently I've been getting calls, emails, and Facebook messages from my former boss asking me to take those off my portfolio. Since all but two sites on my portfolio were done for the company, this would gut my portfolio.

I know they're bullshitting me because at first they said they got "two phone calls today" from two different clients, and then it was one phone call, and then it was one email, etc. So I know no client complained and they're just harassing me for no reason - also, they've done this to previous coworkers.

Going by this quote:

quote:

Speaking of which, you have the right to display your work in your portfolio as a method of advertising your abilities. If clients demand that you don’t show your work (and there are ways around disclosing sensitive info), you need to receive compensation enough to make up for the loss in potential business.

I have the right to use it, right? I wasn't under an NDA and there was no contract specifying I couldn't use anything in my portfolio.

Edit: Oh, Works for Hire seems to imply I can't use it. They're still dicks for gutting my portfolio out of spite.

But I'm finding a lot of conflicting information online whether I can/can't use it. Some people say I can, as long as it's advertising my skills and I'm not contacting the client to steal business from my former employer.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what to do to keep organized - myself as much as my clients. I do a lot of contract web design work for one particular company that has a handful of sales people. Previously, I would only get emails from their office manager, who was really good at being a go-between and conveying what information the sales people wanted. But now the sales people are contacting me directly, and they're very confusing. I'll get emails labeled like, "Please put this on the site," with an image attached and no clue to which of the thirteen sites I'm currently working on it goes. Or a dozen unlabeled emails with one image in each to put on a particular site, reminder emails for a task an hour after the original email, and so on. Asking them to include the name of the site in the subject line and the url of the site in the body of the email works for, like, twelve hours, but then they go back to cryptic emails, so it's a lost cause. Sometimes I have to reply asking them to give me the url of the site, but that just slows down my work process.

Or perhaps it's something I have to do, like: an email comes in, I immediately pop open some kind of organizer app/spreadsheet and pop the information in before it gets lost in my inbox with a subject line and body that I can never accurately search for. I thought about opening some kind of ticket/help desk system, but I don't think I can count on them to use it when they can more easily shoot me an email.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The marketing firm I do most of my projects for has a problem: Their sales people write most of the content on the sites for the clients. They don't want to go back and forth with the clients, and of course it takes forever for clients to send content if they do write it themselves. The trouble is, the content that the sales people write isn't always the greatest. Tons of spelling and grammatical errors, writing things like "for over 23 years..." in some places and "for over 24 years..." in others, sometimes even writing the name of the client's company incorrectly. I don't want to fix these things because I'm just being paid to design the site, but I want to propose to the owner that I charge a little extra to fix some blatant errors.

How much should I be looking to charge to basically proofread and polish up the text?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

At least your hourly rate.

I personally wouldn't get into it, if I were you. If you are not a professional copywriter you're setting yourself up for potentially terrible interactions with your clients down the road ("Why does this copy say our product is $.99 when it should be $99?! You're costing us money!"). Whether or not copy is correct isn't your expertise and it certainly isn't your responsibility unless you choose to make it so. Those are some dangerous waters imo.

Yeeahhh... it just bugs me, more than anything. I've got this nice design, and now it's ruined with text that is often impossible to lay out in a visually pleasing manner. I can't use those sites in my portfolio because they look so bad through no fault of my own. Sometimes it works out and I get paid more to fix it later when the client notices and sends a support ticket, and I can charge for that.