Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

signalnoise posted:

I work with a convention that is looking to make a very limited run of playing cards for our 21st anniversary. Can someone tell me how much art should generally cost for a reasonable quality anime-style set of face cards, jokers, and tuckbox art? I want to know how much I should expect to be paying, and at what point I should feel I'm getting ripped off.

I've done work for a small trading card game for a few years which is I guess the closest thing I can think of for you, and the payment for 1 piece of digital artwork for 1 card was between $50-$250 depending on the complexity of the content.

However what you're talking about there, what I've seen done in the past is to ask for passionate volunteers to chip in with artwork submissions - assuming this is not trying to line someone's pockets. Profits would then be donated to charity, or split among the artists. If the profit were to be for the convention for e.g. new equipment or something, that should be made very clear though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Arthil posted:

One concern is that he did use the phrasing of "I have to take care of all the marketing/shipping/packaging stuff and you just do the art" Which felt a little dismissive.

I had to laugh at this because his product is basically 100% the artwork. Without the artwork/designs he would have no product to sell, at all. His product totally and utterly relies on the loving picture and he has the gall to act like that's a minor part? Just lol at this dude.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

dog nougat posted:

A guy who is a regular at the restaurant I work at approached me about illustrating some children's book he wants to write. We talked about it a bit and it seems... OK. He doesn't really have a manuscript or anything yet, so who the gently caress knows what'll happen, most likely it'll end up going nowhere since people have a tendency to flake/talk big but don't actually do anything. I'm certainly interested in taking on a project like this though.

The big caveat I'm leery about is the inability to pay me for my work upfront. I'd instead be paid a percentage of the net sales. Obviously a contract would need to be drawn up and notarized and what not. This would potentially be my first contract gig. I'm very trepedatious about committing any time to it though since nothing seems even remotely concrete, and said as much.

It seems like there's a huge potential for my time to be wasted for zero payoff. I am however very interested in doing freelance illustrations, since I feel like I've finally hit my stride as an artist. I don't really have much in the way of digital art skills and work in traditional (read: antiquated) media. I know it's kind of limiting professionally, but I still have the ability to digitize my work. I'm currently working on my personal art for an upcoming show and need to put together a portfolio representative of my work.

I'm still very new at all of this, so I have several questions.

1. Avoid this children's book project?
2. How severely limited am I working with traditional media?
3. What's a good online source for finding contract/freelance illustration work if I'm not severely limited by my use of non-digital media?
4. What's a good place for my portfolio online? Free is preferable here since I'm a filthy poor, but I'm not opposed to paying for space if it's worth it for me monetarily.

Others have answered the children's book thing (no, no, run away, no). As to traditional media, it shouldn't be a huge issue. I'm primarily a traditional artist and while I don't do children's book illustration, I know other artists who have done it in traditional with no issues. I'd recommend trying your hand at digital though - Paint Tool SAI is usually decent for people who are new to digital.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

dog nougat posted:

Fair enough. A tablet and a screen are not like a piece of paper something that I can easily manipulate and rotate without any real thought. I recognize that digital has it's advantages but like I said, I find myself easily discouraged by the learning curve and have a tendency to gravitate back to physical media since I've already spent years learning the medium.

I did this for a number of years, then at one point I just picked it up again after a long gap and...it clicked. Quality of tablet is also an issue - like trying to learn to work with lovely dollar store art materials, trying to learn with a lovely tablet is not much fun.