Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Defenestration posted:

Added a couple of new resources to the OP on :siren:Freelance Writing:siren:

Who Pays Writers? - "A place to list whether, and how much, magazines and websites pay their writers. We'll post 'em as you report 'em. Intended to be informational, not judgmental. "
http://whopays.tumblr.com/

Money talks
"How to find out what other writers are paid so you know how to set your own rates"
Article by Ann Friedman (of editorrealtalk)
http://www.cjr.org/realtalk/money_talk.php

Yup, they still write cheques. It's funny sitting around watching the business manager write out a stack of cheques for the writers. Kids, if you want to make money, move to where everyone is and write for niche mags, public broadcasters or online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
I've just been contacted for freelance work by an ad agency for both commercial and content work. They asked me what my rate is. Before now, I've only ever done journalism work. What should my rate for advertising be?

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Oh My Science posted:

Qoute high, lower if they balk.

I said I charge 0.35 cents a world, but it's negotiable depending on what I do.

If it's image heavy, I charge more. If it's text heavy, I charge the same.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
Hey guys, I've just been contracted by an ad agency to write copy. I gave them a quote of $50 an hour. Is that too much?

Edit:

I also got this rejection letter from a magazine. Does it mean my pitch was bad, or just not what they were looking for at this time?

quote:

Yours is a very considered and thorough pitch on a subject that would be of particular interest to our many rural readers. Unfortunately, due to the volume of pitches, and a feature article on agriculture and grasslands in our upcoming summer issue, we will have to pass on your pitch this time. Thanks for considering us and best of luck finding an alternate publication for your research and writing.

GiveUpNed fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 14, 2013

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Disreputable Dog posted:

Depends on the size of the agency, the location and/or the accounts they have. But tl;dr on a lot of variables is that it sounds reasonable yeah.

(Edit: It's what I charge as a designer for agencies and I'm a bit on the low side)

Well she accepted it and is also asking me to invoice her the deposit. I'm happy everything is on the level as I've heard so many nightmare stories. I'm glad people think my skills are worth something.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
Hey guys. She has asked me to send her an invoice for a deposit. They used SignNow to prepare my NDA and Contractor Agreement. How do I go about invoicing her a deposit and how much should it be?

Edit: I invoiced her via Paypal. Everything is kosher.

GiveUpNed fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 15, 2013

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Defenestration posted:

Paypal will get the job done, but why give part of your money to a middleman at all, especially a lovely company like paypal?

Invoicing is really simple. It can just be a word document with everyone's name and address, the list of the work done and the payment due. Google up freelance writing invoice and you'll get a ton of easy templates to work from. They should be able to cut you a check and send it to your address.

Thanks man. I really got lucky with her. She's a senior art director at a big ad agency and my persistence with her has paid off. She just emailed me to say she likes my work and is excited to work with me. I couldn't be happier. To put my current situation in context, I just graduated with a BA in Philosophy. I have two years of journalism experience, but you know how that industry is going... I'm just very happy things have worked out well for me. With the money I just received, I'll be able to pay for living expenses for a while.

I'm on the other side of the country from her. Will she have to mail the cheque to me, or can it be a wire transfer, or somehow electronically done?

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Defenestration posted:

Do you live in antarctica or somalia? :confused: Does mail not go from one side of your country to another?

Wire transfers are a thing that people do but speaking from experience they are nasty to set up for the person sending them, and also cost money. Just ask her what your options are.

I charge 30%-50% of the project cost upfront as a deposit. Most of the work is time dependent and I don't have the luxury to wait a week for mail to arrive (I live in Canada).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

GiveUpNed posted:

I charge 30%-50% of the project cost upfront as a deposit. Most of the work is time dependent and I don't have the luxury to wait a week for mail to arrive (I live in Canada).

Welp he sent me the money via Paypal.