Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Squidster posted:

It's been years since I've been in the art or illustration business, but I need to write up a quote for newspaper illustrations on behalf of some of my clients.

What's a fair modern rate for B+W article illustrations for a primarily-online readership? The artists in question are very talented, but not necessarily well-known.

Well I've never done editorial commissions so take this all with a grain of salt but I do have a copy of the graphic artist's guild handbook if that might be helpful as a starter point.

According to it, in the US $500- $1500 is considered the expected range for a professional illustration for an online newspaper. I'm assuming Canada will be at least somewhat comparable to this.

Though as you brought up, with lesser known artists you might not get as much, and you'll have to take the complexity of the image (specifically how long it'll take your artists to make it) into account. Also important is the renown and reader base for the venue. If it's just like a website for a city paper then you might not get as much as opposed to one that covers all of Toronto or one that has national/international readers.

Also you said that the illustrations are for a primarily (but not only) online readership, does that mean they do print on a limited basis? Normally, you negotiate usage rights for print/online separately (with separate fees) though you could do a twofer to help build a relationship with the client if you suspect they don't have a large budget and you really want the gig. Since you are doing a quote, hopefully that means they like the work your artists are doing though there is the chance they are still just shopping around for the cheapest deal or whatever.

Just make sure that when you break down how much the artists get vs hours they'll have to work that they make a reasonable amount (whatever you and the artists deem as reasonable that is) for the time they'll put in. There is always some negotiation and wiggle room for pricing these things anyways. Easiest way would be to find what competitors in your area are charging, though that can be difficult to find out since competing art firms/reps aren't likely to tip their hand about that kind of thing. If you can do that though, then that might be the surest way to find out what's considered reasonable.

If you still have time, I know an art rep I can ask who specializes in advertisement work who would probably be able to give a better answer. They may not know the market in the area so I don't think you'd get specific answers but they might know things to watch out for and the like. If you have a question you'd like me to ask, let me know.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Squidster posted:

Thanks for the advice! I'd love to get in touch with your art rep friend if at all possible - could you pass them my email at andrew@tocomix.com?

Sure, I can ask and see if that would be alright. She knows a lot more than I do about this stuff so hopefully she'll be able to offer some helpful info.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Defenestration posted:

As the sparklee in the OP says, always have a contract. Even if it's just a single pager being like "here's what I'll do, here is my rate, here is the estimate."

This, a hundred times this. It can be difficult to enforce a contract, but if you don't have one you are completely screwed if things go south for whatever reason.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

dog nougat posted:

Fair enough. A tablet and a screen are not like a piece of paper something that I can easily manipulate and rotate without any real thought. I recognize that digital has it's advantages but like I said, I find myself easily discouraged by the learning curve and have a tendency to gravitate back to physical media since I've already spent years learning the medium.

Yeah I know what you mean. It is a bit different getting used to a tablet and I'd say there is a reason why a lot of people (even very exceptional digital painters) still sketch traditionally even if they intend to paint/finish the work digitally. Try out some different work flows, and go find some tutorials specifically on working digitally. (Ctrlpaint has some nice free videos). That might help with some of the learning curve stuff.

Also if you really want to create children's books professionally, I'd say make a work that you are really passionate about (maybe several). Then when you feel like you have something good, do some research and find a good agent who has a track record selling children books and get them to help you find a real publisher. Learn how to write a kickass query letter (resources like the queryshark blog can help with that) as that is going to be vital when you do eventually shop your book around.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 30, 2016

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Erostratus posted:

My grandmother is a very prolific, talented artist and has been painting since she was a child.

Well if she doesn't want to sell and is financially solvent then I don't see why you'd force her to. You say you're an artist, so you should be able to understand why a person might make art for it's own sake and not want to go commercial. My mom is the same way, she paints because she enjoys it and works on large scale pieces with tiny brushes that takes her 2-3 years per painting. That's not feasible as a career (unless you sell prints but galleries will want originals) but that's the work she enjoys creating. She could easily do something else but she doesn't want to. If your grandmother is 85 she should have the freedom to choose what she wants to do unless she needs to sell these to survive.

That said if she does want to sell cause she needs the money or whatever this is definitely a situation that calls for getting an agent. Agents will have the necessary expertise to market and promote her work as well as help her with pricing and getting work into galleries. If her local community is not a good location to sell then you might have to build connections with an out of state gallery instead. For instance, New York sounds like a good venue for her since abstract work is pretty popular up there right now but you aren't getting in there without knowing someone.

As far as getting into local galleries, you should do some research. Go to your local arts district and check out the galleries. If you find one that looks like it could be a good fit, then start sending them stuff. Send out little packets containing small prints of her work + an info sheet, etc. Look up guides for formatting and presentation so you look professional. Present it as well as you can and be polite and be persistent. Do it about once a month until you at least get a response. Always follow up! Worse they can do is tell you to stop sending them things but if you just send one thing and forget about it then it'll likely never get looked at.

It might sound like badgering but depending on the location galleries get tons of requests for people to show their work. Maybe you send them something when they are currently full up and not looking to represent a new artist so they throw it out. But then next month they do get an opening to show a new artist but by that time they will have completely forgotten about you. Getting a gallery to even look at your stuff is half the battle. Which is why an agent is very useful for that matter.

Make business cards with her work on them and go to art events/walks, talk to people and pass them out to gallery people/agents. If you want to do this yourself then you are going to have to build that network. If you want to be a marketer you have to be extremely persistent and if you want any success, you cannot be meek. Also one quick thing that always need to be said about agents: Agents pay you with the money they get from selling your work, you do NOT pay them under normal circumstances. So don't get scammed.

Check out other cities as that are close by as well, don't restrict yourself to just your town. This is important because galleries typically will not compete with local galleries or websites. This means if they show your mother's work they will want exclusive rights for the area. Sometimes this area encompasses multiple states, sometimes its just one state but just pay attention to the contract and understand the extent of it. So make sure you target the right galleries for your mother's work because you don't want to get stuck in a bad gallery just because you only looked in your home town. That may prevent you from getting into a much better gallery a few towns over. Always read the contract in full and all that.

Tl:Dr: Unless she needs the money, don't force her to do this if she doesn't want to. If you do go through with it, you need an agent. Otherwise try contacting galleries, go to art events, make business cards and small prints of the work and hustle hustle hustle. It takes a lot of persistence and is a fuckton of work but it is doable.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 12, 2016

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Erostratus posted:

Are representatives people you flat out hire, or is a two-way street in that they have to think you have potential to sell?

It's the latter because the agent only gets paid if they can successfully sell your art. Agents often have specific clients and a network that they have built up a relationship with. So a good agent will be in a position to know what will sell or what won't for the people they work with. Getting an agent isn't a trivial matter but it is a great benefit if you get one that is a good fit for your needs. Like the galleries and anything else, you'll have to be assertive and put yourself out there to get a agent.

If you do get into talks with a potential agent, make sure to ask them which artists have they represented and what were they able to do for them. I'm talking about specific stuff, like they got the artist into x gallery, or they sold 40 pieces of the artist's work to y business to redecorate their offices, etc. A good agent will be upfront about what they have done and can do. As you might have already experienced, a bad or inexperienced agent can be worse than no agent.

If you guys are close to that big name artist in your area, you can ask them if they had worked with any agents that they felt were pretty good. Same for anyone else you have a personal relationship with. You'll still have to contact the agent yourself but the more information you have the better position you'll be in. Art events like art walks or receptions at major galleries can also be good networking opportunities too. Just be careful cause there are scammers out there and if they ask you for money then that's a huge red flag with very very few exceptions.

Your grandmother's work is excellent. There is a good market for it somewhere for sure.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
If you are asking for that much art first off make sure you get a contract to protect both yourself and the artist. Specify all requirements/expectations/# of revisions/pay/etc and make sure everything is crystal clear and in writing. You can look up templates online if you need.

I would go to places like art station, instagram, etc and look at artist portfolios. It's not a problem to find someone who can do 20 characters in a consistent style but since you have a certain style in mind it's important to find someone who is a fit for it. So look for portfolios that have pieces in there that match the style you are looking for. That will tell you if the artist A) Likes the style they are going to be creating 20 characters in and B) also has a lot of practice in said style. It will also show you what to expect from the commission too.

Portraits and busts will cost you less than the others, especially if its with simple/no shading and in 2D. Full body will cost more, especially if there is a lot of textures and details involved. How much it costs will depend on the experience of the artist and how long it takes them to make the work. Good artists will cost more but will also work faster and have a higher likelihood of being professional. People usually list their rate break downs somewhere on their site so that'll give you an idea of how much they'll charge. I expect you won't get a discount (people set their rates at where they are at for a reason) so if you just multiply their rate by the number of pieces you want then you'll get a good ballpark of what it will likely cost.

If you do something like 2D portraits and 3D models you might be able to get away with using two different artists, one for each. Good 2D skills doesn't mean the artist knows anything about 3D and vice versa anyways though there are some who do both. It's probably easier to get 20 pieces of work out of two different artists than 40 pieces from one. Though sprites like those in clash royale are going to be extremely expensive in particular as well as those 2D animations with lots of moving parts.

What might also help is to find an artist you think might work and try a few small commissions first. Maybe try getting the art for 1-2 characters and see how that works out. This also helps even in the case that you don't end up going with that artist, you'll still get some good examples of what you exactly want hopefully. You can also start with hiring an artist just to do preliminary work, like some simple sketches and thumbnails for the designs of each of your characters. That'll save you some money and difficulty in the long run. It's much cheaper to iterate and do revisions there then later on in the process.

Finding someone who is going to match all your needs is going to be difficult. It's just the nature of large scale commissions like these. Like this could easily be a month or more of work depending on what you are asking for. Just finding someone who has the skills and professionalism to do a good job but isn't already so booked with deadlines and previous commitments that they can devote a month+ to your project will be pretty hard. Especially if there is no pre-existing business relationship between you two, since there are so many ways for a project like this to go pear shaped.

tl:dr
Get a written contract! (Just imagine the rest of this post is this line copy pasted 100 times)

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

Hey thread! How do I sell paintings? They're not mine, I'm looking to sell them on behalf of the artist. He's a famous-ish artist, several of whose paintings hang in the Vatican, many more in the hands of private collectors such as the wife of Jeb! Bush. I don't have any connections in the art dealing world.
The artist is old, lives out in the sticks, is not mobile and doesn't speak English, else there's a reasonably good chance he'd do it himself. Most of my communication with him happens through his son (I'm working on learning Spanish). I live a state over near a larger population centre.
I have eight of his paintings in my possession and have compiled a small portfolio of those paintings and some pics of correspondence with interchangeable bigwigs (at-the-time French ambassador, head of some church in former Yugoslavia, photograph of him with Desmond Tutu, etc).
There are a few art galleries near me but I don't wanna go in and be like "Hi! I'm a gullible rube who just happens to hold several excellent paintings! Give me a lot of money for them!" and accept a pittance.
What do? I want to sell them for the ridiculous amounts fine paintings sell for so that I can help the artist support his family and also afford nice things like food and shelter and a partner and also not have to work an infintely more soul-crushing job.
Thanks y'all!

Also advice on how to income taxes regarding this business would be swell too. I live in the US and don't plan on escaping ever, though I certainly wouldn't turn down an opportunity to do so.

This seems like something you'd want to contact a reputable art agent about, someone with connections and who knows the market. At the very least have one as a consultant if you still want to do all the work yourself.

Specifically find one that represents artists who create similiar kinds of paintings (and are as well known) as your friend. If you talk to an agent, you can flat out ask them who their clients are if needed. It's not rude and it sounds like you are in a position to be picky about agents.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 6, 2019