Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Hey thread! How do I sell paintings? They're not mine, I'm looking to sell them on behalf of the artist. He's a famous-ish artist, several of whose paintings hang in the Vatican, many more in the hands of private collectors such as the wife of Jeb! Bush. I don't have any connections in the art dealing world.
The artist is old, lives out in the sticks, is not mobile and doesn't speak English, else there's a reasonably good chance he'd do it himself. Most of my communication with him happens through his son (I'm working on learning Spanish). I live a state over near a larger population centre.
I have eight of his paintings in my possession and have compiled a small portfolio of those paintings and some pics of correspondence with interchangeable bigwigs (at-the-time French ambassador, head of some church in former Yugoslavia, photograph of him with Desmond Tutu, etc).
There are a few art galleries near me but I don't wanna go in and be like "Hi! I'm a gullible rube who just happens to hold several excellent paintings! Give me a lot of money for them!" and accept a pittance.
What do? I want to sell them for the ridiculous amounts fine paintings sell for so that I can help the artist support his family and also afford nice things like food and shelter and a partner and also not have to work an infintely more soul-crushing job.
Thanks y'all!

Also advice on how to income taxes regarding this business would be swell too. I live in the US and don't plan on escaping ever, though I certainly wouldn't turn down an opportunity to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I've found a couple appraisers near me who also do auctions, so I believe I'm finally on the right track. Thank y'all so very much!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ritznit posted:

The company my husband works at got wind of me being an artist, and has now asked me to design a mascot for them. They love the design ideas I showed them! Yay! Next, we'll meet to discuss specifics. My problem is that I've never done anything for an actual company and not just half-broke nerds, so I could use pricing advice. What should I roughly charge a mid-size IT company for a mascot design as well as the full rights to the character?

Full rights? Can you get a percentage of gross? Though admittedly, how revenue generated by any specific mascot is measured, I haven't the slightest idea.

Also for ink printers running low, remove the cartridge and slosh the ink back and forth slowly a few times, we always got a massively extended life from them that way.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 30, 2019