Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
I think any feelings you're having right now about the lost business are a drop in the bucket compared to any issues that would have arisen from working without a contract. Your stuff getting yanked from the Dropbox folder is also incredibly sketchy. Be sure to be on the lookout for it and Tineye/Google Image Search every three or so months to make sure it's not being used without your permission.

In short:

qirex posted:

It sounds like you dodged a bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Defenestration posted:

Pipes, what are your thoughts on some outreach?

Honestly, it would be a drama shitstorm. Not sure if I'm ready to rock that particular boat quite yet.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

SleeplessInEngland posted:

Planning extra time when estimating a deadline is another thing I've screwed up on. I originally estimated a week for the initial designs (Would take me 2 days if I was working in an office) but then the lady I'm working for didn't get back to me about agreeing to my quote & is now on holiday until tomorrow, which is when the first draft was meant to be with her. Another learning curve, I guess :blush:

I can't stress this enough, I love including it in my contracts:

Defenestration posted:

3. Agile Deadlines
Someone else’s lack of organization shouldn’t be your problem. If a client (or a subcontractor) fails to deliver you content required in the time outlined, your deadlines should adjust accordingly. Similarly, if the content delivered isn’t up to snuff, your deadlines should also shift to reflect the time it takes to properly format it (if you have to do it, make sure you charge for it). Employing agile deadlines also helps to reinforce to the client that what you do takes time and effort without actually having to say it, and is is also nicer than just walking away from the project completely (although you could if you wanted to, provided the legal documentation supported it).

It's not your fault she took a vacation.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Here's an article I've been meaning to post here for a few days now, but kept forgetting: http://www.erickarjaluoto.com/blog/bill-for-it/

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Designers using stock is an age-old practice. As long as the rights are what they should be for usage, she shouldn't feel bad at all. In fact, the ability to incorporate other people's elements seamlessly into a greater whole is, like, nearly a baseline requirement for the profession.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

SVU Fan posted:

I'm going to said him a generic "thanks, looking forward to it email" first thing in the morning so he knows I'm still waiting for it.

Hope your payment goes through without further issue. Does your contract have a fee for late payment/reissued invoice? Mine stipulates a 45, 60, 75 and 90 day flat penalty, after which a monthly service fee kicks in. I've fortunately never had to get to the point where I had to bill for the service fee, but have definitely gotten to the 60 day mark before.

If I like the client I usually good cop/bad cop them in the same email, along the lines of, "I understand that yadda yadda yadda, but just a reminder that the contract does state this…"

Like others have mentioned, terms of payment is also another thing that can be defined in a good contract beforehand. In short:

Oh My Science posted:

Edit: Make your own contract, charge more if they want to use their own. Also, make sure their contract doesn't gently caress you.

and

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Defenestration posted:

1. HAVE A CONTRACT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Bad Milk posted:

The problem in Spain is that the client offers YOU the contract and all the terms are theirs.

Have you thought about searching for jobs outside of the country? Currency conversion is trivial nowadays, illustration is remote work, and you seem to have a great grasp of English.