Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I've been a super small time nature photographer coming up on the 1 year anniversary of my business. Most of what I sell are inkjet greeting cards that I sell mainly in-person at markets and festivals and on Etsy. This past weekend I was set up at a neighbor's house for an open studio event and someone came up saying she was a "broker" and that she worked with a some new-agey boutiques and gift stores to stock cards and such. I don't have all the details yet, but it sounds like she would shop around my cards and then take ~20% of the wholesale if any store places an order, and she would keep up with the re-orders.

It's been a goal of mine to get my stuff in some brick-and-mortars (although not necessarily hippy dippy shops), and I'm not terribly excited about doing the legwork myself. So I'm at least considering doing this. What I'm wondering is if there are any pitfalls or advice for a new artist starting a business relationship with an agent like this? Should I negotiate rates, or what kinds of other things should I make sure I'm including in a contract?

I think what I'd probably do is narrow it down to my best sellers and get a bunch press-printed. If anyone has a go-to guide for how to make UPC symbols, that might be handy at this juncture.
I kind of wish I checked the forums more often since you're basically me a few years ago.

I have my prints in a number of stores now but I don't use a broker. I'm not sure I could be profitable if I did use one. At best you're going to be pricing your stuff at 50% off your retail prices (i.e. keystone pricing) although you'll find that a lot of stores want a lot better margins than that now. If a broker is taking an additional 20% off the wholesale that is a significant chunk of your profits.

The best option, if you can afford it, is to get into the wholesale shows and get your stuff out there to retailers yourself. It's crazy expensive to do a show, but if you get in the right one (for you this would be a gift show) it can be the best way to get your wholesale contracts rolling in. Those same retailers that the broker is offering to sell to are the ones that shop at these wholesale shows to get their product lines. I can probably write a book's worth of text on this at this point so let me know if you have specific questions.

In terms of UPC codes I wouldn't bother. Every store I have my stuff in uses their own and no one has ever asked for my prints to come with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Thanks! Actually, turns out it's only 15%.

I don't know anything about the wholesale shows– definitely something to look into! Did you produce a glossy catalog or some other pro-looking price sheet of your images to give to vendors?

I think I'd definitely have to find a commercial printer if I try to scale up that much.
There are some huge wholesale shows over the US (in Canada our choices are much more limited). Check out the facebook group "Artists who Wholesale"...lots of good info in there. Find a show near you, let them know you're considering exhibiting with them and ask to walk the show. You typically can't get into those shows unless you can show proof that you own a retail store. Seeing the other wholesalers, the products they are selling, and how they are selling them is very useful.

For wholesale you want to make a linesheet instead of a catalogue. I spent $500 making 250 fancy line sheets, spent another few hundred mailing them out to various retailers across the country, and got some interesting opportunities out of it. Check out this video series: https://www.creativelive.com/class/sell-your-products-retailers-megan-auman It's worth the purchase if you're serious about getting into wholesale and even though it's from the perspective of a jewellery designer it was incredibly helpful to me.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Looks like ravenkult brought this thread back from the dead, so I'll ask my question here since I'm not sure where else it should go.

I'm currently planning a project that combines my two side business of wildlife photography and 3D miniature printing and will be producing fantasy-themed models based on the wildlife I've photographed. For this project I need an artist to create a series of images like the one I'm attaching to this post. These images will be used by a digital sculptor to create the 3D models, so they need to be accurate in scale and highly detailed. I can provide a ton of reference material since the basis for the models are wildlife I've photographed.

I have so many questions around this though:
1. How long would it take for an artist to produce a single image like this?
2. Consistency of the artwork is really important, but is it reasonable to think a single artist could make 30 or so of these over the course of a couple of months (assuming there's some revision work needed as well)?
3. Is it normal to structure the fee and payout for a project like this based on each image, or would it be more project-based?
4. For work like this, would I automatically be the copyright holder or do I need to work that out with the artist, and is that a controversial thing to ask for?
5. What would you charge as the artist (either for each image or for the entire project)?
6. How easy would it be for another artist to step in and take over producing the same style of image if the original artist I was working with was unable to continue for some reason?
7. Anything else I should be asking here?

Any help/advice would be most appreciated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!